•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with the RC 10" [C&C]

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Hello all,

Quick post here to share the first light data I was able to get on the RCOS 10" F9 system. While I have had the scope for a bit, other gear changes and needs took priority, but now that we are in a good spot with the sky full of Galaxies, I decided to take the RCOS out for a spin. 

Gear details:

Scope: RCOS 10" F9 RC

Camera: QSI583 WSG

Mount: AP1100 CP4

Guiding: PHD2

Exposures: 5 min RGB x 64

Aquisition Software: Starkeeper Voyager

get.jpg?insecure

https://astrob.in/395234/0/

Collimation of the scope was slightly adjusted using the Tak Collimation Scope, and worked wonderfully. Seeing this night was not the best, and I had my imaging interrupted continually by passing clouds.  The TCC system worked perfectly, and kept the scope well cared for throughout the night. Voyager RoboStar was used for focus, which worked nicely. The RCOS does not really need to be focused all that often though. 

Feel free to poke at it and give some comments and critique, but do so knowing that the total integration time is fairly low, and the test was more aimed at checking the optics and the control capabilities. 

• Gregory, rwstanley, psandelle and 2 others like this

#2 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: O'Fallon, MO

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

Looks good.

Dan

• rockstarbill likes this

#3 Terry R

Terry R

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

I heard of these RCOS scopes.  That is a good start for a first light.  Your stars are round, and your tracking looks great.  Pixel scale is funky.   I think that a nice large pixel camera would really help with the exposure times.  It would be significant.   9 microns would get you around the 0.8 arc sec per pixel.  (But I would love to have more image scale waytogo.gif).

Great start.  

#4 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

I heard of these RCOS scopes.  That is a good start for a first light.  Your stars are round, and your tracking looks great.  Pixel scale is funky.   I think that a nice large pixel camera would really help with the exposure times.  It would be significant.   9 microns would get you around the 0.8 arc sec per pixel.  (But I would love to have more image scale waytogo.gif).

Great start.  

Hah! Thanks Terry for the comments and for you help offline in other forums. :) I am going to put the 16200 camera on here, although its still only 6 micron pixels. I think that data should look great. 

#5 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

Looks great! 

#6 krockelein

krockelein

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Duluth, Georgia

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

Wouldnt binning 2x2 increase the pixel scale?

#7 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:50 PM

Wouldnt binning 2x2 increase the pixel scale?

Yes, it would. 

#8 DaveB

DaveB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:50 PM

I love the colors in the Ha region, not just the typical red. I'm guessing that imaging RGB rather than LRGB helps with that. I'll have to give that a try on my next colorful target, maybe a reflection nebula.

#9 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

Thanks Dave. I am going to put the larger 16200 chip on the RCOS tonight as this weekend should be clear. Curious to see star performance at the edges.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics