•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wanting to convert my new Celestron 8 inch Edge HD from a 1.25 to a 2 inch visual back and diagonal to accept the larger 2 inch eye pieces

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SuperAtomic

SuperAtomic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

Hi Everybody,

I am fairly new and haven't been able to post anything other than a newbie hello about a month back (to much work related travel).  I have been perusing the forum to figure out the best way to add up the components to convert my Celestron 8 inch Edge HD to accept 2 inch eyepieces.  Some of the postings I found have links that are no longer valid or parts no longer made by the manufacturers.  Any help would greatly be appreciated, I am a bit lost.

Thanks

SA

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

I would contact a Celestron vendor and ask for a 2" visual back for that scope. Another thing you can ask about is instead of getting a 2" visual back, getting a 2" Baader Clicklock that will work for that scope.

• Sarkikos, Brent Campbell and zakry3323 like this

#3 SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, Ca

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

I'm using the 2" Baader on my 8" Edge HD. I definitely recommend it.

• rgsalinger, Phil Cowell, Sarkikos and 2 others like this

#4 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

Another +1 for the 2" Baader

• Sarkikos likes this

#5 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

I bought the 2" baader deluxe clamping EP holder.  a bit longer than the click lock but since my 2" diagonal is click lock, I don't need it for the VB.  substantially cheaper than the click lock VB and still Baader quality throughout.  very happy with it.

Edited by Mike G., 13 March 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#6 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

Yep... I just got the standard Baader Clicklocks for my 11" and 14" Edge SCT's... The VB idea to me was kind of a poor idea.... having to unthread it to pivot the diagonal around...

#7 Rovert9988

Rovert9988

Vostok 1

• Loc: WA State

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

I use a 2" Baader click lock visual back on my 8" Edge. I combine it with a WO 2" diagonal. It adds probably 100mm or so to the focal length, but it's extremely nice when viewing to be able to rotate the diagonal to any position in an instant.

#8 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

The Cheapest and easiest way is:

1)  SCT Diagonal.

2) SCT - 2" Visual Back + Refractor style Diagonal

If the SCT is Fork Mounted then option 1 works well, however on a GEM I found option 2 easier.

• Jaimo! and Sarkikos like this

#9 sydney

sydney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:45 PM

Another option to consider is adding a 2” Crayford Focuser instead of just a visual back.  It’s more expensive but eliminates mirror shift issues and makes dialing in the focus less frustrating.  GSO makes several reasonably priced units. I just bought a Baader Diamond Steeltrack to use on a Meade 12 that has lots of backlash and image shift. It makes the scope much more enjoyable to use, in addition to letting me use a 2” dielectric diagonal for my big wide field eyepieces.

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

Hi Everybody,
I am fairly new and haven't been able to post anything other than a newbie hello about a month back (to much work related travel). I have been perusing the forum to figure out the best way to add up the components to convert my Celestron 8 inch Edge HD to accept 2 inch eyepieces. Some of the postings I found have links that are no longer valid or parts no longer made by the manufacturers. Any help would greatly be appreciated, I am a bit lost.

Thanks
SA

Astro-physics ADASCT for c8s 9.25s. Very solid, around $50. I soon plan to try a different solution with ADA2003A but have used the other one for years and it will get you set. This item is high quality, inexpensive, and ships fast.

Avoid ring diagonals. AP max bright is what I like but there are other options.

Edited by gnowellsct, 15 March 2019 - 07:09 AM.

• Heywood likes this

#11 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:45 PM

I just purchased the William Optics 2" rotolock VB and the matching color 2" rotolock diagonal. I highly suggest it. 

Great hardware, and it matches Celestron orange as a cherry on top.

#12 Luna-tic

Luna-tic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Foothills North Carolina

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

I'm using the 2" Baader on my 8" Edge HD. I definitely recommend it.

Another +1 for the 2" Baader

Yep... I just got the standard Baader Clicklocks for my 11" and 14" Edge SCT's... The VB idea to me was kind of a poor idea.... having to unthread it to pivot the diagonal around...

I use a 2" Baader click lock visual back on my 8" Edge. 

Me 5. I use a OPT 2" quartz diagonal. I opted for the Clicklock instead of a SCT diagonal so I could also use a flip mirror, and if necessary, extension tubes.

The WO Rotolock is also nice.

#13 HenrikH

HenrikH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 02:57 PM

+1 Baader Clicklock - perfect on my EHD8

• Sarkikos likes this

#14 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Aurora

• Loc: Florida

Posted Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Hi Everybody,

I am fairly new and haven't been able to post anything other than a newbie hello about a month back (to much work related travel).  I have been perusing the forum to figure out the best way to add up the components to convert my Celestron 8 inch Edge HD to accept 2 inch eyepieces.  Some of the postings I found have links that are no longer valid or parts no longer made by the manufacturers.  Any help would greatly be appreciated, I am a bit lost.

Thanks

SA

A 2" visual back will let you use a 2" diagonal.

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics