•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Most Stupid Question...

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted Yesterday, 07:59 PM

So did someone bother to enlighten this mayor that lighting would be a big no no?   OT, I too have seen what comes from outreach acquiescing to the public.  I've seen ongoing outreach at a site where an observatory was built and public park was intended for anyone to use to have dark skies. I've seen individuals valiantly work with the local gov. to install shielded lighting all the while putting on public outreaches.. And you know what the result was over the years? Suburbs and shopping areas growing exponentially.  And the town near the observatory facility showed their thanks for all the invites to public outreach by building more softball and soccer fields for fully lighted games and regular tractor pulls.  How little, it seems, we have accomplished.  This area was also popular years ago as a dark sky site, not anymore.  Years ago I once took my scope there on a clear dark night to do some dso's observing.   A club member came over to me and said, "Sorry, but they had some scout troop coming and they would be using the area."  (I guess that's more important than me pursuing my hobby)  The implication was that I was supposed to leave and pick another night to observe, or go somewhere else.  The only outreach, I guess you could say, that I do anymore is maybe here on CN,  or maybe people I run into who have observing or equipment questions.  I guess you could say I've become turned off to "outreach" for various reasons.

I hosted scout meetings and even their astronomy certs, etc. for a couple of decades. Finally threw in the towel... I remember what generally ~dark at night~ was like, from when I was that kidly age... 1950s. Even in pretty good sized cities, the only lights were essentially down-directed (shielded) plain tungsten bulbs, just enough to see where the sidewalk was. We used to play outside every night until it naturally got "too dark to see the baseball". Most of the population is too young to remember and has no concept of what darkness even is. Here's a picture of the exact lights I remember. It was so peaceful and non-obtrusive!   Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 10 Rochester NY old street light.jpg

• BFaucett and Starman47 like this

#102 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Hey friends, there is a forum for Light pollution...….Let's get back to the stupid questions.

Alex

• BFaucett likes this

#103 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 PM

OK....

My first response would be.... 

There is no such thing as a "stupid question".

But then there really is.

It is the question that does not get asked.

Sorry.... just my 2 cents.

#104 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Do stupid questions really exist?

#105 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted Today, 07:03 AM

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did."

• BFaucett and HeathM98 like this

#106 BradFran

BradFran

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted Today, 09:10 AM

Have you seen Uranus?

#107 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted Today, 09:25 AM

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did."

"Can I ask you another question?"

"You just did."

• Dynan and HeathM98 like this

#108 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted Today, 09:42 AM

Have you seen Uranus?

That's the only one I can't see.

• BradFran likes this

#109 vdog

vdog

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted Today, 09:48 AM

That's the only one I can't see.

Careful.

Some folks are pretty sensitive about  . . . the seventh planet.  grin.gif

#110 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted Today, 09:58 AM

Thinking way back to Comet Hyakutake stretched 45 degrees or more across the sky.... under a bright 1st quarter moon.

I was assisting with the giant crowds at Kopernik Observatory ( Vestal, NY - even the Discovery Channel showed up with a crew and IR camera to broadcast live ) - maybe a thousand people.

Of course as the moon set around midnight and the view much improved - everyone left - and a friend and I were left alone in the parking lot with a wonderful dark sky view of the comet (but sub-freezing temp).

Then... around 1am a lone car pulls in..... about 4 or 5 people climb out.... we hear muted voices in the dark.

Finally some young Asian guys walk over and one guy points up at Comet Hyakutake and says "Pardon me sir, but is that the moon?"  blush.gif tongue2.gif lol.gif 

Turns out.... they were foreign exchange college students taking a break from cramming for mid-terms - they had taken a short drive to relax - and just happened to turn into our parking lot for a breather before heading back to campus.

One fellow said "We never look up at the sky in Singapore -- it is too bright. I've never seen stars, or the Milky Way, or a comet before!"

Edited by George N, Today, 10:08 AM.

• Dynan likes this

#111 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

Careful.

Some folks are pretty sensitive about  . . . the seventh planet.  grin.gif

Yes, I'm still miffed that when Herschel wanted to name his discovery "Planet George" (after the King of course) the rest of Europe's astronomers objected!  wink.gif 

• BFaucett likes this

#112 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted Today, 10:44 AM

Yes, I'm still miffed that when Herschel wanted to name his discovery "Planet George" (after the King of course) the rest of Europe's astronomers objected!  wink.gif

Pluto could have been Clyde

#113 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted Today, 10:47 AM

Of course it's the seventh planet, we don't have problems counting till we reach nine...

• BFaucett and BradFran like this

#114 StarBurger

StarBurger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted Today, 11:07 AM

I know, light pollution again.....

A neighbor and I were discussing light pollution around my scope.

He asked me what LP was. I pointed up at a clouded orange city sky. 

He then asked what the solution was to LP.

I replied "The best is to turn off all the lights".

Reply to that--"How will that get rid of those orange clouds?"....

• Dynan and HeathM98 like this

#115 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted Today, 12:16 PM

They all cried in unison: "Planet George my arse!"

And Herschel replied: "OK, yours."

Edited by Araguaia, Today, 12:17 PM.

• BradFran likes this

#116 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted Today, 12:23 PM

I can remember years ago at a local astronomy club meeting, a junior member asking the question 'Why is Mercury the closest planet to the sun'.

Ok, but what's the answer?

#117 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted Today, 01:01 PM

OK....

My first response would be.... 

There is no such thing as a "stupid question".

But then there really is.

It is the question that does not get asked.

Sorry.... just my 2 cents.

If only those who say that were there to answer the frequent stupid questions when asked, maybe that opinion would change.  wink.gif  

Me:  "Oh, another UFO question.  He'll be happy to answer that over there.  Next." 

or

"I just answered that question 60 seconds ago and you were standing right there looking at me when it was asked by the person before you.   Go over to that line for that other fellow's scope, he might be able to better answer it for you."  

With regard to the latter, there are times that someone who was with another will give them a hard time for not paying any attention and asking the same question again.  waytogo.gif That allows me to give a much abbreviated response before sending them to the eyepiece.

#118 w1828

w1828

Lift Off

Posted Today, 01:07 PM

A few years ago, my local club held a public observing session at a winery. It started immediately after a two hour wine tasting session. Believe me, stupid questions were asked. 

My favorite though was when the club held a solar observing session. A local newspaper reporter saw one of the announcements and came looking for a local events story. He arrived knowing it was for observing the sun. All scopes were pointed at the sun. There were signs up saying it was a solar observing session.

He asked every scope owner what they were looking at!

Edited by w1828, Today, 01:10 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#119 John Turley

John Turley

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sheffield, England

Posted Today, 01:13 PM

Ok, but what's the answer?

I can only provide an answer to the question 'Why is the closest planet to the sun called Mercury'

John

• BFaucett likes this

#120 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

>>>>>>>I can remember years ago at a local astronomy club meeting, a junior member asking the question 'Why is Mercury the closest planet to the sun'.

>>>>>>Ok, but what's the answer

Because there are not any others closer to the sun, silly.

Alex

• Dynan likes this

#121 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted Today, 02:28 PM

I'm sure there have been lots of planets closer to the sun than Mercury. Mercury is just the closest

that still exists because of its stable orbit.

#122 vdog

vdog

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted Today, 03:08 PM

It's time to petition the I.A.U. for a name change.  If they can reclassify Pluto, they can rename our seventh planet, which deserves more respect.

I can rattle off straight-up facts one-by-one about the seventh planet, and they all sound like scatological humor:

.....is a light green color.

....rotates sideways.

....has faint rings around it.

....was probed by NASA in 1986.

Get the idea?

Edited by vdog, Today, 03:10 PM.

#123 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted Today, 06:40 PM

"What's wrong with my camera?"

Guy in the park, trying to take a snapshot flash picture of Venus, hovering over the distant trees... images keep coming out "too dark".

• BFaucett likes this

#124 HeathM98

HeathM98

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Augustine, FL

Posted Today, 09:05 PM

"What's wrong with my camera?"

Guy in the park, trying to take a snapshot flash picture of Venus, hovering over the distant trees... images keep coming out "too dark".

“It appears to have a loose nut behind the viewfinder.” lol.gif

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics