•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M101 - Hyperstar 4 WITH FILTER WHEEL

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:33 PM

Hello all,

A few months ago I decided to give the Hyperstar another chance, sold my Hyperstar for Edge 8" and placed an order for another one for my Edge 11", it was on back order and when it shipped I found out I was getting the new Hyperstar 4. At first I bought the adapter to use with my existing filter tray accessory but soon found out I'd have to find another solution because not being able to fully automate is one of the reasons I gave up on my first Hyperstar but I had seen before here on CN where a few people mentioned using it with a filter wheel but I never thought this would give me perfect stars, until a friend on Facebook told me he was using it successfully and showed me an image. I was super excited about being able to run a Hyperstar and have my sleep too so I placed an order for a ZWO mini filter wheel and started my journey. Collimation of the Hyperstar can be a challenge, especially in the winter but I already had a Hotech advanced collimator so I only had to buy the adapter for the Hyperstar 11" and that was a tremendous help. I have been enjoying this thing a lot, sometimes I can capture 2 full targets in one night where before it would take me days shooting at F/7 so challenges apart, I am very pleased. Please see my latest image, I hope you enjoy it!

get.jpg?insecure

Clear Skies!

• Stelios, dswtan, Scott Mitchell and 17 others like this

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

Looks very good.

So you don't need no mask for it ?

#3 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

Looks very good.

So you don't need no mask for it ?

Thank you!

I have a 3D-printed cable router for the cables and a circular mask to cover the corners of the filter wheel.

#4 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

Can you post a photo of your setup with the filter wheel? It doesn't block too much light? I guess with the 8" it would have been an issue but not 11...

• LarsMalmgren and happylimpet like this

#5 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

Can you post a photo of your setup with the filter wheel? It doesn't block too much light? I guess with the 8" it would have been an issue but not 11...

There's a picture of it on my Astrobin. Surprisingly, it doesn't really take a whole lot more than the diameter of the Hyperstar itself. The angle of my image on astrobin looks like it takes the whole side of the corrector plate but that's just an illusion. The ZWO mini FW is very small. Unfortunately I don't think this would work on an 8" since this OTA is much smaller than the 11" .

• LarsMalmgren likes this

#6 LarsMalmgren

LarsMalmgren

Mariner 2

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, I'd love to see a photo of your setup with the filter wheel as well :)

How much extra obstruction do you get?

I do also own a C11 + HyperStar (old version) but I never thought of putting a filter wheel in between...

• Ladyhawke likes this

#7 astrovienna

astrovienna

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:51 PM

Nice image, Sam.  A filter wheel on a C11 Hyperstar!  Neat trick, and it looks like a good match for the 694 chip's small pixels.  How do you do flats?

Kevin

#8 LarsMalmgren

LarsMalmgren

Mariner 2

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

There's a picture of it on my Astrobin. Surprisingly, it doesn't really take a whole lot more than the diameter of the Hyperstar itself. The angle of my image on astrobin looks like it takes the whole side of the corrector plate but that's just an illusion. The ZWO mini FW is very small. Unfortunately I don't think this would work on an 8" since this OTA is much smaller than the 11" .

Oh it looks like the rectangular part of the filter wheel will protrude into the light path, right !?

Much less than i thought. Nice!

My old filter wheel is a pretty big Starlight Express thing, so it wont do lol.gif

#9 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

Nice image, Sam.  A filter wheel on a C11 Hyperstar!  Neat trick, and it looks like a good match for the 694 chip's small pixels.  How do you do flats?

Kevin

Thank you! I am using it with my Atik 460 ex, I like the pixel size a little larger, especially now on galaxy season. I do own an ASI 1600 which I also plan to use with this setup in the future. For flats all I do is to keep the dew shield permanently attached, point the scope up and place the flats panel on top of the shield.

#10 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:02 PM

Oh it looks like the rectangular part of the filter wheel will protrude into the light path, right !?

Much less than i thought. Nice!

My old filter wheel is a pretty big Starlight Express thing, so it wont do lol.gif

Yes, that's why I bought the mini FW, actually I just bought a second one for narrowband, I hate changing those filters all the time :)

My ZWO 8-position and my Atik FW2 also extremely large compared with the mini.

#11 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

You have some really great shots in Astrobin. Very nice

#12 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:55 PM

Great photo!

The Hyperstar V4 has excellent off axis correction and your collimation must be spot on!

#13 jsmithsd

jsmithsd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoita, Arizona

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

Very nice image, good work!!

#14 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

You have some really great shots in Astrobin. Very nice

Thank you :)

#15 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Great photo!

The Hyperstar V4 has excellent off axis correction and your collimation must be spot on!

Thank you. I spent a couple of months dialing the collimation, I think the best result I got was when I used the Hotech Advanced CT. I think it can be improved a little bit but honestly I am afraid to touch it and ruin everything. LOL

#16 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

Very nice image, good work!!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

#17 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

Nice image Sam. Looking good. Great details.

Mike

#18 AIP

AIP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:10 PM

Hey Samara! I'm glad to see you here laugh.gif

Very beautiful image. Love the HII regions

#19 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Hey Samara! I'm glad to see you here laugh.gif

Very beautiful image. Love the HII regions

Hey Alvaro! Good to see you too! Thank you so much, glad you like it :)

• AIP likes this

#20 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

Thank you so much!

Nice image Sam. Looking good. Great details.

Mike

#21 jsowens

jsowens

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

I also use the ZWO FW on the HS....trays were way annoying

I've been really happy with the results.

I use a Python script to automate the full LRGB sequences so an auto FW was important.

I also built and automated flat panel so the entire process is push button.

Still working out a few bugs but I'm 99% there.

Jim

• Ladyhawke likes this

#22 JoeR

JoeR

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:25 PM

Looks really good nice fine details in the arms and core. I'm surprised a filter wheel is working out for you it must be the mini ZWO that keeps obstruction to a minimum.

I have been using a 3D printed cable router with my two setups for a while now they work great. I contacted your source and I helped him design a 14" version based off my OTAs measurements with digital calipers. You can see it installed and functioning in this YouTube video I created about Hyperstar C14 use. I prefer the manual method myself I do everything unguided with the AP1100 and a very basic camera control with Nebulosity. Since I always have to setup remotely It's redundant for me to automate any tasks.

I'm still contemplating upgrading my 8" Hyperstar to v4 but it's really a secondary system for me. The 14" version is already at v4 specs which is probably why Dean didn't release an upgraded version for that one.

• Ladyhawke likes this

#23 jsowens

jsowens

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

Heres a pic of my config

Its hard to see but I route my cables at 3:00 and 6:00 as I like the 4 way diffraction spikes on my stars

And I'm using an Edge14 with this assembly so I only lose 4-ish % of the incoming light

zwo.jpg

Edited by jsowens, 14 March 2019 - 05:43 PM.

• Ladyhawke likes this

#24 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:35 AM

Looks really good nice fine details in the arms and core. I'm surprised a filter wheel is working out for you it must be the mini ZWO that keeps obstruction to a minimum.

I have been using a 3D printed cable router with my two setups for a while now they work great. I contacted your source and I helped him design a 14" version based off my OTAs measurements with digital calipers. You can see it installed and functioning in this YouTube video I created about Hyperstar C14 use. I prefer the manual method myself I do everything unguided with the AP1100 and a very basic camera control with Nebulosity. Since I always have to setup remotely It's redundant for me to automate any tasks.

I'm still contemplating upgrading my 8" Hyperstar to v4 but it's really a secondary system for me. The 14" version is already at v4 specs which is probably why Dean didn't release an upgraded version for that one.

Fantastic video Joe, really good and your images too!

#25 Bigdan

Bigdan

Viking 1

• Loc: Panacea, FL

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

Sam:

You probably know about it already, but I believe the end of this video discusses your M101 image on the YouTube channel known as Astrobackyard:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Toswqu7XxIo

If your last name is Nagle, and you're in Ohio, I suspect that is your Instagram-posted image he discusses.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics