•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NB filter recommendations

accessories astrophotography equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krockelein

krockelein

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Duluth, Georgia

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

I am planning to purchase the ZWO ASI 1600 mm-pro to use with both my f/4.9 Newt and mostly with my f/8 GSO RC8.  The mount is a more than capable CEM60, and I'm running SGPro for acquisition.  I've done the research on pixel size to focal length, and this combination looks to work fine.  Now, my questions are:

Will I need to use an IR/UV cut filter in addition to the NB filters?  My instinct says no, because the NB filters will already block IR and UV, but what about with LRGB?

I think 1.25" will work for the RC8, but 31mm would be better for the f/4.9 Newt.  Question:  1.25" or 31mm?

What brand(s) to go with for filters and/or EFW?  Price-wise, ZWO offers the whole shebang in a kit, and who doesn't enjoy saving some money?  But, I am concerned about the halo effect of some of the 1.25" filters from ZWO that I've heard about.  Astronomik is out of my $$ league.  Baader?  IDAS??  I just don't know...

I know, I ask a lot of questions here.  I can only say that it's a fool who does not take advantage of opinions and thoughts of those with more experience.  Thank you all for your help, again!!

Ken

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

You don't need an I/R cut filter with LRGB or with NB filters and that camera. Mine is now almost 4 years old. I have the Baader filters and they work fine. I have no idea if the latest ZWO versions work or not. Personally, I'd look for used Baader or Astronomik filters before I'd trust some of the newer brands. I've not seen enough testing of them to be confident that they work well. I'm not saying they don't, just to be clear.

Rgrds-Ross

• krockelein likes this

#3 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

You don't need an I/R cut filter with LRGB or with NB filters and that camera. Mine is now almost 4 years old. I have the Baader filters and they work fine. I have no idea if the latest ZWO versions work or not. Personally, I'd look for used Baader or Astronomik filters before I'd trust some of the newer brands. I've not seen enough testing of them to be confident that they work well. I'm not saying they don't, just to be clear.

Rgrds-Ross

This is correct. You do not need a UVIR cut filter in addition to the NB or LRGB filters. You can probably get the 1.25" filters to work even at F/4.9. I, however, went with the 36mm filters for both my ASI1600MM cameras. The Baader or Astronomiks filters are good. The newest generation of the ZWO filters are mostly comparable to the Baader/Astronomiks but you may see some halos from the OIII filter specifically. If you buy used, be careful of the older ZWO filters which have much more serious halos. The best filters are Chroma or Astrodon filters. You get what you pay for with filters, but the less expensive filters will work. I have posted reviews of the ZWO filters on CN if you look for my posts. There are two posts: one for the original ZWO filters and one for the new ZWO filters if you want more detailed information. 

• krockelein likes this

#4 krockelein

krockelein

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Duluth, Georgia

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

Gentlemen, thank you for your rapid response!  So, based on what I knew combined with what I am learning, it looks like 31mm Baader filters would be a solid choice for the NB. Given that I haven't heard or seen anything negative about them, and my perhaps erroneous assumption that there is more leeway in their technical requirements, I will get the ZWO LRGB filters. Has anyone any experience with any other brands that they would like to share?  (OMG!!!  I even post on forums like a teacher!!!)

• TSSClay likes this

#5 astroian

astroian

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:25 AM

I had a problem with the Baader O3 filter that leaked near IR light. The quick solution was an IR/UV blocking filter, the longer solution was better filters. This was a couple of years ago, so maybe they’ve improved their Quality control since then.

Cheers,
Ian
  • krockelein likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics