•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone using Compact Mirrorless Cameras for Astro Imaging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 imk

imk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK North West

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

Hello,

Am new at astronomy (about a year) scope is LX90 8" and going to try my hand at some modest Astro Imaging, bit of moon, planets, star clusters etc.

And wondering if anyone is using Mirrorless Compacts, as i need a new modest camera for domestic so doubling up as Astro would be wonderful.

I have done some research and the Canon EOS M100 with PC USB or even Wifi to Canon Connect App to Android would seem to give me a good introduction point.

I appreciate that i may not get a good as results with a compact as a proper Astro Camera but this is very much dipping one toe in the water before making bigger commitments.

Also there is a LOT of astro photographic software plus ASCOM for camera out there and wondering if any is compatible with Canon compacts re remote operation etc.

Big question i know so do chip in with anything you feel relevant please.

Many thanks in advance imk 

• agmoonsolns likes this

#2 classpath

classpath

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Monica, CA, USA

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:40 PM

Have you considered BackyardEOS? Of course, it needs computer (laptop) though. 

I started with Sony a6000 Mirrorless. Eventually, I gave up and switched to dedicated astro image camera because Sony did not provide good sdk so there was no software which could automated process with it at that time. But Canon cameras have been supported by many software since long time ago like BackyardEOS or Sequence Generator Pro.

#3 imk

imk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK North West

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:53 AM

Have you considered BackyardEOS? Of course, it needs computer (laptop) though. 

I started with Sony a6000 Mirrorless. Eventually, I gave up and switched to dedicated astro image camera because Sony did not provide good sdk so there was no software which could automated process with it at that time. But Canon cameras have been supported by many software since long time ago like BackyardEOS or Sequence Generator Pro.

Classpath,

Many thanks for the post, really enlightening i guessed there must have been software like BackyardEOS or Sequence Generator. but no idea how sophisticated.

Just had a brief look at both and I think one or similar is going to be very much part of my setup.

Thanks again imk

#4 RowlandC

RowlandC

Asterism

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

I've just started using a FujiFilm X-T1. Experimenting with in camera noise reduction and 30 second exposures at iso3200. If the camera is not modified for astro, I have found that converting the RAW files to RGB in a RAW converter such as dcraw first, seems to automatically multiply the R channel. The files are then aligned and stacked in your favourite astro program - no bias darks or flats - The results have been very acceptable Ha saturation compared to‪ the typically washed out bluish images we see taken with unmodified cameras.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics