•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to flip an image when using eyepiece projector and digital camera

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TX Leo

TX Leo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

Not sure where to post this question, technically it is not about astrophotography but terrestrial photography... using a telescope. 

I have an Orion ED80T CF triplet that I use for 'plain old' stargazing, as well as a Sony A6000 used for 'plain old' photography.  Recently I acquired a 2" prime focus adapter and 'Vari Max' eyepiece projector. When I use the Vari Max (with an eyepiece) I am getting the upside down image, while everything is right side up when using only the prime focus adapter. Of course the image can be flipped later, but is there a simple way to flip the image to 'correct' while looking through the camera/at the monitor? 

Thanks for any help. Even if it's pointing me to another forum! 

#2 Stephen S.

Stephen S.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:11 PM

Turn the camera upside down?smile.gif I don’t know if your camera has an orientation sensor.

#3 TX Leo

TX Leo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:22 PM

Turn the camera upside down?smile.gif I don’t know if your camera has an orientation sensor.

I am kind of bummed my camera doesn't have a mode to flip/mirror an image in real time on the monitor. 

#4 Alen K

Alen K

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

I doubt any DSLR can do that. My camera, a Pentax K-3II, definitely has an orientation sensor. It will handle portrait mode and landscape, rearranging the selected info screen (it has several) to match the camera orientation. It also flips taken images when you view them on the LCD. When I turn the camera upside down it flips the info screens (and this time all the other menus) and taken images correctly. But it won't flip the image in live view, which means it won't flip the image while taking it, regardless of the mode. And why should it? That isn't what you would want to happen with a lens attached.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics