•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TS-50 Has Arrived

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rayden68

rayden68

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Oregon

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

Thanks to Dave Trott i am now the very proud owner of a Takahashi TS-50. It arrived yesterday afternoon. Very well boxed and packaged.

I will not post any pictures since good pictures are available here that are much better than i can do.

https://www.cloudyni...takahashi-ts50/

And a Video is available here that starts with a swift 838 then brings out the ts-50 for comparison

https://www.youtube....h?v=VomaCHX3HNs

I recently retired from the military and moved from Indiana to south central oregon. High, Dry and super dark sky! I had been off of cloudy nights since i have been super busy but the other day I got on and was really smitten by the TS-50 in the classifieds. I have a couple good F15 60s a 75 and an 80 but not a great 50! I have been spending a lot of time with my smaller scopes and guess i have gotten reverse aperture fever and love to push to see what i can get out of a certain aperture. The next day the Ad was gone i was bummed that i missed it but i didn't see it listed as sold so i emailed Dave and asked what happened? he said he took it down due to a lack of interested buyers. I emailed him back that i sure was! I am sure that i am preaching to the choir when i say that is was a real pleasure buying from Dave,You know exactly what you are getting, you get tons of communication and it is properly packed, he even included a picture inside to show how to properly stow it in the box. 

First the box is heavy, i mean real heavy i thought Dave had accidentally sent me all of his old copies of Sky and telescope! I have several other scopes in the same size box that weigh half as much. Second, this is a beautiful scope and mount built to an very high standard. As luck would have it it was clear with a 50% moon. Cold yes but not going to stop me from getting a new scope out. I observed from 2100 to 0200 and the focuser, and EQ mount were a pleasure to use. The moon, double stars, messier objects flew by as did the time. now the business end, the objective. As an example i cleanly split Beta Monocerotis all three members with a 6mm Ortho at 116X  B is 5.0 magnitude and C is 5.4 and separated by 2.8" i dropped in my 4mm Unitron ortho and split them wider at 175X in a 50mm telescope so that blew me away and tells you all you need to know about the performance of the glass. Didn't dawn on me how high i had gone on the magnification until i ducked back in the house and calculated the magnification and exit pupil. The quality of the EQ mount kept them smoothly in the eyepiece at all times and the very sturdy tripod made damp down times practically zero, i honestly don't remember a time where i had to wait on a view due to shaking even as i was changing from eyepiece to eyepiece to find the best magnification. I came in happy at 0200 the scope, eyepiece box, observing chair were completely covered in heavy frost. This is my first takahashi and the first one i have ever looked through. After my night in the cold i may have come down with Tak Fever!Telescope.gif  

Edited by rayden68, 15 March 2019 - 10:22 AM.

• rerun, Dave Trott, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#2 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

Did you get the exact scope from Dave's video? A real beauty, congrats! Love watching those videos! (Clickin on your photo link revealed a Zeiss Telementor, btw.) Thomas

#3 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

TS-50 or Swift 838?

#4 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

Congrats  all around.... we have been watching that ad.

The links however   are confusing to me   .....swift and Z Telementor?

but if you purchased that little Tak Ts -50  we all liked  that seems like a fine addition to your reverse aperture thinking.

p.s.    Oregon  High and dry and clear?   Sounds like a good option for retirement   do they have a state income tax out there?

#5 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

I would imagine it’s this one:

https://www.cloudyni...akahashi-ts-50/

https://www.cloudyni...takahashi-ts50/

Edited by terraclarke, 15 March 2019 - 08:16 AM.

• rolo likes this

#6 rayden68

rayden68

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

TS-50 or Swift 838? the video starts with the swift 838 then he brings out the TS50 for comparison.

#7 rayden68

rayden68

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:26 AM

I posted the Zeiss to the eBay finds earlier in the day and it probably stayed on the clip board. i put the correct link up there. 

• terraclarke likes this

#8 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

That’s a nice scope and a rare collectors item.
  • strdst likes this

#9 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

Congrats on the TS-50. Beautiful little scope and fairly rare, especially in that condition. Thank you for taking out of tempted list. I recently parted with two different TS-65’s. The classic Taks are first rate and overbuilt.

#10 rayden68

rayden68

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:53 AM

"do they have a state income tax out there?" Oregon has horrible taxes. Most of my family lives in nevada and you would think since there is no state tax it would be better but thats not true they just find other ways to get the money. I have lived in a lot of states during my career and the difference is usually very little when you start looking at it. 

• bremms likes this

#11 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Oregon is beautiful, though.

Portland, "The City of Roses", is a jewel.

• terraclarke likes this

#12 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

Glad you like your scope, Ray. It found a great home!

- Dave

#13 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

First, Congratulations on a fantastic & truly rare Classic!  I recently retired from the military...  Second, Thank You for your service!  Third, a personal Thank You! for ending my agony.  As Dave lowered the price, it was all I could do not to nab this one -- I was running out of reasonable (not 100% insane) excuses.

We all owe Dave a lot.  What a collection he's parted with!  Before the Goto 106, Dave gave me the Tinsley mount -- almost impossible to find.  He gave me an opportunity to snag a Mogey EQ mount -- rarer than hen's teeth.

Your TS-50 will look great on display, and I think the views will pleasantly surprise you.

• Dave Trott, terraclarke and jcruse64 like this

#14 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

The Brandon 3 inch and Tinsley 4 inch F/15 refractors I purchased from Dave are treasures that I had never seen advertised before, or even knew about.

I remember watching Dave's videos and thinking, "what cool telescopes" and wishing I could someday own such wonderful instruments myself.

Besides giving me great prices, Dave packed each telescope with the care that only someone with a real love for these classics would bother to take. And each was as good or better than Dave described!

Yes, many of us do owe a debt to Dave.

Sincerely,

Steve

• Dave Trott, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#15 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

Alas, my wonderful Tak FC-76 came from Dave T as well! I’m one happy camper!!
  • Dave Trott, Bomber Bob, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#16 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

We aim to please!

Thanks for your kind words folks. I was lucky to own those fine scopes for a time and I am glad the new owners are happy. It's a privilege to be a member of this community!

- Dave

• rerun, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics