•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does your CEM60 sound like this?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:41 AM

I am curious as to whether this is how the drive is supposed to sound while tracking.  I am wrestling with getting my guiding down to the specs that others have acheived and am trying to reduce the variables.

The video is dark, well, because it was dark out!  :-)

https://youtu.be/3BqM2hXClTM

Thanks

Tom

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:43 AM

Unfortunately no, that is not how they are supposed to sound.  How did you set the tension for the worm gear?

#3 gotak

gotak

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:53 AM

They do make a fair bit of noise but you're sounds pretty loud and rythemic. What does the guide graph looks like? Sounds are hard to pin down. Graph easier.

#4 Skymind

Skymind

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:03 AM

Check the zero position; if the mount can return to zero correctly, then the motor was running normal, no skip steps, otherwise the noise was from motor skip.

#5 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

Here is a look at the PHD Log Viewer RA analysis from the session where that sound was recorded.   I have worked on getting the mesh right for a while.  I have used advice from many here and in the OpenPHD Google group - tighten down to where I see stalling and then back off ~1/4 turn so that it fully engaged but does not cause a stall.

Oddly, I ran a PEMPRO session and showed nearly within spec PE although that graph looks nothing like the one that came with the mount.

Of course, I had set SGP to run unattended to start imaging after the moon went down and woke up to find that my PC had an "unexpected shutdown" (Event ID 6008) about a half an hour after I went to bed.....grrr...no subs taken.

The mount kept track of where it was and could go to it's park position just fine - which happens to be the zero position, so I don't think it is skipping.

I will send this over to the techs at Itron for review.  This mount is only about 6 weeks old.  Sadly, we have had about 5 weeks of clouds here so I am still in the learning curve here...

Thanks

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• PHD Graph.JPG
  • Curve 031419.JPG

#6 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

No that sound is not normal. Time to call iOptron!

#7 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

No that sound is not normal. Time to call iOptron!

I have already emailed the youtube link - and a link to this thread.   They are super responsive so I hope to hear back soon.

#8 gotak

gotak

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

Is that guide graph comes with guiding in? If so either settings or something more is wrong

#9 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

Is that guide graph comes with guiding in? If so either settings or something more is wrong

That image is the RA analysis in PHDViewer that has the guiding corrections turned off.   My RMS for that run was in the 1.3 range.  I have gotten some a bit better than that, but you are right, something in wrong.  At one point last night it got down to about .6 - for about a minute, and then right back up.   My dec axis is pretty solid but there is something rotten in Denmark on the RA side.   Even though this mount is new, based on this sound that other owners say is unusual, I have a sense that this baby may be heading back to MA for a look - or a replacement.

Edited by Tom K, 15 March 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#10 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

Ioptron was prompt again and I am arranging to have it go back.   He asked what speed this was slewing at and I pointed out that this was not slewing - it was tracking at sidereal rate.

• bosh60 likes this

#11 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

I gotta say that even though I am not super happy about having to send this mount in for service, I will say that Ioptron has been very responsive.  They sent me a shipping label today and say they will turn it around in a week.   I should be good to go easily by next new moon.

In my day job I am a GM at a water district and I have built and operated treatment plants with lots of complex equipment.   After a few decades of experience there is one thing I know for sure - all complicated gizmos will have issues at some point.   The measure of the company is not just if they make a great gizmo, but if they stand behind it and deal with issue proactively when (not if) they crop up.

In this case, I paid $2200 for a mount that will rival mounts that cost a lot more.   The risk I take by saving thousands on a mount is that it may need this sort of service.  In order to deliver it at that price they have to decrease tolerances here and there that when perfectly set up work fine, but if something goes awry it may need service.   The reputation for service that Ioptron owners have expressed on these forums was a big factor in my decision to buy the mount.   I am glad that my experience with their support thus far has matched the experience of others.

I am not an Ioptron fanboy, just relating my experience.

• Skymind and OldManSky like this

#12 OldManSky

OldManSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

Sorry it has to go back, Tom, but if it results in performance that improves, it'll be worth it.

And yes...iOptron does great customer service.

Let me know if you want to drive up the hill and watch me work with the CEM25 while you waitshocked.gif waytogo.gif ...

#13 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

Sorry it has to go back, Tom, but if it results in performance that improves, it'll be worth it.

And yes...iOptron does great customer service.

Let me know if you want to drive up the hill and watch me work with the CEM25 while you waitshocked.gif waytogo.gif ...

Now you are rubbing it in!  I may just pull out the AVX for a bit in case I don't have it back by next new moon....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics