•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problems with Celestron Starsense Alignment device

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PABresler

PABresler

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Osos, Ca

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:16 AM

I am having problems with the Celestron Starsense alignment device and my mount, a Celestron Advanced GT which I got used a few months ago. I added a two screw saddle to improve the security for the scope, but do not think that should have changed the alignment process. My scope is a Nexstar 8SE.

I polar align the mount using the polar finderscope, bring the mount to the home position, and do the Starsense autoalignment, which seems to work. I then attempt to calibrate the center using Polaris. Is out of the field by a few degrees. I go through the calibration, and then realign the mount, as instructed. When I again do goto to Polaris, it still is off by about the same amount as before the calibration. I tried this several times with the same result each time. I now am wondering if there is problem with the mount?

Peter

• posi likes this

#2 echobeach

echobeach

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane,Australia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:46 AM

Hi Peter, have you tried doing an alignment using the A-GT hand controller , then trying a few slews  then going back to Polaris ?. If it all works out well , take note of your backlash settings on your A-GT controller then compare the backlash settings on your Starsense  controller when you put it back on your C8. Also make sure your time and location inputs are as accurate as possible. 

Cheers Martin

Edited by echobeach, 15 March 2019 - 04:52 AM.

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:32 AM

A clue here might be in the statement '...mount........which I got used....".

Both Starsense HC and AVX mounts have had crucial firmware updates that have an impact on polar alignment. So, try updating your firmware before adjusting backlash or similar physical adjustments. We eventually proved (in TeamCelestron testing) that the Polar Alignment Error being reported by the Starsense HC differed from that of the Nexstar + HC. Hence that required a firmware fix around December 2017, which is, of course, just over a year ago. My guess is your scope might have missed this update.

This is also true for Alt-Az with wedge owners as there was a distinct StarSense All Star Polar Alignment (ASPA) 'bug' generally affecting control by the Starsense HC. A Starsense auto-alignment will work remarkably well even on a wonky mount. But what you really seek is an 'ASPA' where once polar aligned the mount will track in RA Only. I also don't believe that an ASPA has yet been implimented in any of the (WiFi) Tablet APPs, but there is one in the new CPWI software for Windows, which I am hoping to test as soon as the weather gets better.

If that doesn't work, retrace all of your steps as regards settings. Most Starsense problems are caused by an incorrect data setting, notably <Location> that after initial set up can only be adjusted via Menu. Check via HC Menu that this isn't at the default California setting. ...and remember that DST changes this month.

Edited by Noah4x4, 15 March 2019 - 05:40 AM.

#4 PABresler

PABresler

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Osos, Ca

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

I will try both of the above. Thanks for the advice!

Peter

#5 Manners2020

Manners2020

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

I'm not sure how to start a new thread so I'll ask here if it's ok. Initial alignment for starsense. I'll be using it on an evo mount and I can slew up to 66° with my accessories. I've searched high and low for info online but cant find any on how high it will skew during alignment. Shoukd I just stick to the manual alignment to play it safe? Thx.

#6 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

On the upper right side of any of the forums there is a button across from the Donate button that is "Start New Topic". That is how you start a new thread.

This thread should help you:

https://www.cloudyni...se-slew-limits/

#7 Manners2020

Manners2020

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

Appreciated

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics