•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader Clicklock Diagonal vs William Optics Durabright?

cassegrain catadioptric eyepieces SCT
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:50 AM

Hello I currently have the William Optics Dura Bright 2” diagonal and after getting the Baader Clicklock Adapter/Visual back I really like the ease of engagement and security of the Clicklock. I’m trying to  figure out if $300 is money well spent or not? The William Optics unit is super nice but on occasion with certain brands of eyepieces it’s slightly tough to get them in the diagonal. This isn’t a huge deal

I could likely sell the WO for $100 so I guess that helps the equation a little. Thoughts on this decision?

https://www.highpoin...qBoC9rMQAvD_BwE

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:02 AM

I pretty much went clicklock on everything including the diagonal...

I don't have the Baader model that you are referencing, but i do have the BBHS Sitall version:

https://www.cloudyni...-diagonal-r3038

• Sarkikos and 25585 like this

#3 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:27 AM

I have both and like both (can’t stand the regular thumb screw anymore). It’s true the WO roto-lock is a little tight even fully open and it requires lots of screwing. The mirror is good (especially once collimated).

The Baader clicklock mechanism is pure genius and a joy to use. No experience with the Baader mirror, mine is the Zeiss prism t2. Awesome. I have Baader clicklock in 1.25 or 2" on the eyepiece side and aldo hsve a baader clicklock sct visual back behind my C8.

Edited by AxelB, 15 March 2019 - 06:31 AM.

• Sarkikos and Procyon like this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:28 AM

If you like the DuraBright maybe consider that in their "Roto-Lock" version.

Seems to be similar to the Click-Lock and cheaper also.

• Procyon likes this

#5 rustynpp

rustynpp

Apollo

• Loc: NYC

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

I do like the Rotolock stuff WO offers, although if I were you and I had the money to spend, I wouldn't hesitate to move on the Baader. By the accounts I've seen it's up there with the best of em, optically.

I have a 2" rotolock adapter that seized up recently. I emailed William and he offered to replace it for free. Just wanted to give a nod to their customer service.

• SteveG likes this

#6 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

Does anyone know if the nosepiece unscrews from the diagonal body? I've heard the newer ones or maybe it was the older ones did or did not unscrew. Having something unscrew with a large eyepiece is a little concerning

Jon

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:04 PM

Does anyone know if the nosepiece unscrews from the diagonal body? I've heard the newer ones or maybe it was the older ones did or did not unscrew. Having something unscrew with a large eyepiece is a little concerning

Jon

The easy answer to that is simply to keep the eyepiece vertical, or ONLY tilt the star diagonal to the right.

That keeps the nosepiece from unthreading from the body of the diagonal.

On an EQ mount, it's a bit more difficult.  I rarely see a refractor or SCT scope on a GEM for VISUAL use, so they typically have cameras mounted where

a visual observer would have  star diagonal.  But, on a GEM used for visual use, it would be desirable to be certain the star diagonal nosepiece is pretty much fixed.

If it unthreads easily, some loctite can be added to the threads to fix it in place.

• SteveG and Sarkikos like this

#8 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Further evidence that I tend to overthink things I found this article that shows the Baader Clicklock diagonal has the longest light path of any of the tested diagonals?  With an SCT shouldn't I be looking for the shortest path? http://www.baader-pl...14-03-06_v2.pdf

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

Not tested: Lumicon 2" star diagonal which, admittedly with 6 year old tests, had the shortest light path.

https://farpointastr...brite-diagonal/

• Spikey131 likes this

#10 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

Further evidence that I tend to overthink things I found this article that shows the Baader Clicklock diagonal has the longest light path of any of the tested diagonals? With an SCT shouldn't I be looking for the shortest path? http://www.baader-pl...14-03-06_v2.pdf

I went with the Baader t2 Zeiss prism mainly for this reason with my regular C8 xlt. The prism is shorter than a mirror. The T2 is smaller than 2" and would vignette my ES82 30mm but if I need wide field with the C8, I now prefer to use the Celestron f6.3 focal reducer/corrector and shorter eyepieces. With a prism there are ways to configure the T2 system to get proper spacing behind the corrector (about 105mm). Note that the spacing is not hyper critical, 105, 110, doesn’t really matter for visual.
  • Sarkikos likes this

#11 25585

Soyuz

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Hello I currently have the William Optics Dura Bright 2” diagonal and after getting the Baader Clicklock Adapter/Visual back I really like the ease of engagement and security of the Clicklock. I’m trying to  figure out if $300 is money well spent or not? The William Optics unit is super nice but on occasion with certain brands of eyepieces it’s slightly tough to get them in the diagonal. This isn’t a huge deal

I could likely sell the WO for $100 so I guess that helps the equation a little. Thoughts on this decision?

https://www.highpoin...qBoC9rMQAvD_BwE

What you could do is buy the Clicklock 31mm extension for your WO and keep it in the ep end. You would then have a Clicklock and keep your existing diagonal.

#12 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

What you could do is buy the Clicklock 31mm extension for your WO and keep it in the ep end. You would then have a Clicklock and keep your existing diagonal.

This would further increase the light path

#13 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Not sure this will work with your C8 evo but to get the shortest lightpath out of a 2" diagonal, thread the diagonal directly to the male threads of your C8 ota and use one of these:

https://www.highpoin...-diagonal-lring

#14 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

Not sure about a c8 evo, but I remove the 1.25 visual back and the short extension ring that was screwed to the back of the scope.  I then mounted the baader 2" clicklock directly to the scope (no visual back or ring extension.  The Badder clicklock diagonal then then fits in the click lock adapter and allows the diagonal to be rotated or easily removed.

P8241956
The picture shows the extension ring and the 1.25 visual back I removed.

• Sarkikos likes this

#15 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

Not sure about a c8 evo, but I remove the 1.25 visual back and the short extension ring that was screwed to the back of the scope. I then mounted the baader 2" clicklock directly to the scope (no visual back or ring extension. The Badder clicklock diagonal then then fits in the click lock adapter and allows the diagonal to be rotated or easily removed.

Well, put a Baader clicklock visual back instead of the cheap one that came with the scope. Same as I did.

I only remove that when I want to use the f6.3 refucer. Then I use the Baader t2 to sct attachement for a super close attachement that allow proper spacing for best correction.

Edited by AxelB, 15 March 2019 - 08:02 PM.

• buddy ny likes this

#16 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

Not sure about a c8 evo, but I remove the 1.25 visual back and the short extension ring that was screwed to the back of the scope.  I then mounted the baader 2" clicklock directly to the scope (no visual back or ring extension.  The Badder clicklock diagonal then then fits in the click lock adapter and allows the diagonal to be rotated or easily removed.

My 8” has the Clicklock adapter threaded direct to the rear cell threads

#17 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

I guess on the shortest light path front I’d likely not see a change between my William Optics carbon fiber side unit and the Baader Clicklock diagonal. The Astro Tech one that was tested is a GSO made unit and it has similar body dimensions to the WO unit and it was tied with the Baader

#18 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

I guess on the shortest light path front I’d likely not see a change between my William Optics carbon fiber side unit and the Baader Clicklock diagonal. The Astro Tech one that was tested is a GSO made unit and it has similar body dimensions to the WO unit and it was tied with the Baader

To shorten the path, you can use an sct attachement instead of a 2" nose and you can also use a prism instead of a mirror.
  • Sarkikos and ewave like this

#19 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

Hmm the Astro-Physics Maxbright 2” diagonal is only $320 and the Baader Clicklock diagonal is $309. The Maxbright has one of the shortest light paths? Thoughts on the AP Maxbright?

#20 rustynpp

rustynpp

Apollo

• Loc: NYC

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

Have you seen this shootout article?

https://www.cloudyni...omparison-r2877

• 25585 likes this

#21 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

Yep linked the same review in post # 8

Have you seen this shootout article?

https://www.cloudyni...omparison-r2877

#22 canyonblue737

canyonblue737

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

Getting ready to do the same thing with my Evo 8 also, just posted on it like 3 threads down but with the added theme of wondering if 2 inch eyepieces were worth it with the Evo 8. Mind heading over there and letting me know how you like 2 inch stuff on an 8 inch SCT, seems many thing it is wasted on an 8 inch SCT... thanks! Good luck, glad to see you like your ClickLock setup, I'm interested in it just for the security and ease of use but it would be taking me to 2" eyepieces for the first time...

#23 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

Getting ready to do the same thing with my Evo 8 also, just posted on it like 3 threads down but with the added theme of wondering if 2 inch eyepieces were worth it with the Evo 8. Mind heading over there and letting me know how you like 2 inch stuff on an 8 inch SCT, seems many thing it is wasted on an 8 inch SCT... thanks! Good luck, glad to see you like your ClickLock setup, I'm interested in it just for the security and ease of use but it would be taking me to 2" eyepieces for the first time...

2” eyepieces especially above 20mm with give you more field stop but below that focal length the advantage is negligible. The dual throat eyepieces such as the Baader Morpheus are great though 

#24 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

With a regular C8, it’s better and less expensive to avoid 2" eyepieces. All you need to get max field of view is the Celestron f6,3 reducer and a 24mm 68 degree eyepiece. It will yield a flatter field and sharper stars than if using no reducer and a wide 2" eyepiece. To effectively use that at optimally corrected distance, a good prism is the way to go.

If using 1.25" diagonal, just make sure it’s wide enough (some cheap diagonal vignette).

Edited by AxelB, 17 March 2019 - 10:18 PM.

• Starman1 and Sarkikos like this

#25 25585

Soyuz

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

Using a 2 inch diagonal alone makes a visual back upsize worthwhile. 

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain, catadioptric, eyepieces, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics