•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Labor day weekend star party?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• topic starter
  • Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:53 AM

I have a possibility of setting up a star party at a good dark-sky site, a small-town fairground, in northwestern Mass on Labor Day weekend (new moon is Fri 30th).....

Question is..... do folks think that weekend is a good or bad idea for a star party? Not this one specifically, more the idea of that weekend as a viable choice...

Edited by roscoe, 15 March 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:53 AM

Did you maybe mean Memorial Day?

#3 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:06 AM

No... Labor day - Aug 30 thru Sep 2.

• Dynan likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:17 AM

Ok. Thought it was a long way out...but Best of Luck, and Clear Skies!

• roscoe likes this

#5 TimK

TimK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Avon, OH

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

My club has scheduled several star parties on that weekend over the years.
(We always do one in September)
The attendance has always been light.
Not sure if it is because of the holiday weekend or just mediocre weather.
Now we try to avoid it if possible.

#6 JIM262

JIM262

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Nyack, NY

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

My first thought is the heavy traffic that weekend.  I do like the idea of having another star party in the North East U.S.  Good luck with this pursuit.

#7 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

It would be nice to have another option.  I just checked, the Rockland Astronomy Club's SSP is the month before.  But the real question is, will people be engaged with other activities?  Family cookouts and such?  I don't know.  I would consider going, I don't usually have so many family events, but I'm just one voice.

#8 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:58 AM

I suspect that even a few folks camping and observing would be fun. The other star party features may be omitted as long at there are suitable "facilities."

#9 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

Well, that's the concept - a sort-of local informal gathering, not a lot of hoopla, just a dark site (Mag 6.5 on the best nights) and a place to camp and some indoor 'facilities', and if it looks like more than a few folks were going to come, probably the food booth could be opened, so coffee and burgers and stuff like that.

It's all in the 'so...here's an idea....' stage right now....  stay tuned for more details.....

#10 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

The Black Forest Star Party at Cherry Springs PA (http://bfsp.org/) has been held on that weekend -- and it always fills up (450 people??) well before the event.

This year it is on Sept 27 -> 29th.... not a good time for me.... but a great event to go to.

#11 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

Please keep us informed.

#12 WadeH237

WadeH237

Skylab

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

I've attended a few star parties started the week ahead of Labor Day and ended on the day before Labor Day (the Sunday).  I actually like that schedule a lot, because it has me traveling home on the Sunday in the middle of a 3 day weekend.

Just about any star party I go to is outside of the Seattle area.  There are limited routes in and out, so on any given Sunday afternoon and evening, it's not uncommon to encounter multiple hour traffic delays, no matter which route you try and use to get home.  The exception to this is a Sunday afternoon in the middle of a 3 day weekend.

I'm in a big minority in this, though.  Oregon Star Party is the one that could potentially bump into Labor Day.  And when they end on that weekend, they get lowered attendance because families with school aged children tend to stay home.  Since I don't have any school aged kids, what works well for me, doesn't necessarily work for the majority.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics