•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Audiostar Vs Autostar controller

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:58 AM

I brought a old unused Autostar controller of a local buy and sell site. It is very old because it had ver 2.0 firmware form 1999 on it and yes it was still unused : in its plastic and the display protector plastic strip is still on. I could not update it with StarPatch and had to use Autostar 6.0 to get it to ver 43 eg and then Starpatch to load patched firmware 43GG. It works 100% on my LX90ACF but what I have noticed is that when I let it calculate something like  a satellite's orbit  the Audiostar is much faster than the Autostar : would this speed difference be a problem when you want to do autoguiding with PHD? 

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 15 March 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#2 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:19 AM

Hi - the speed difference is not a problem for PHD autoguiding using the ASCOM platform and Meade #497 drivers, but I don't know what impact the Starpatch loader may have (if any).   I have been autoguiding through the original #497 v43Eg for years.

See this link for autoguiding the LX90ACF mount with the original #497 Autostar:

http://www.astronomy...iding-lx90.html

• Piet Le Roux likes this

#3 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:53 AM

The patched firmware removed some bugs and has some extra options. I don't know if I selected have the right ones, maybe Andrew could help us, There is a 909 selection what I am not sure about.  I would like to optimize the one controller for polar mount and guiding and the other for Az/Alt mount and viewing. 

#4 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:06 AM

The Meade #909 accessory port module was for reticle, focuser, and CCD autoguiding on the LX90 when originally released.   These are no longer made and are very hard to find now, as are the clones that were available many years ago.

Autoguiding through the #497 is a simple serial connection to the AUX port at the base of the handset using a #505 cable or equivalent.

#5 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

I have a st4 port for the LX90, if I want to use it must I enable it in the patch options?

PS it is still available from B&H

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 15 March 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#6 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

Gday Piet

The speed difference is because the Audiostar uses a much more powerful 16bit CPU vs the Autostars 8bit.

That said, the initial satellite calcs are very complicated/cpu intensive, but they only create an array of waypoints that the system uses to set the motor speeds so no detailed calcs get done during the transit.

There is no reason a 909 module cant be used on many mounts, but meade tied it to a specific motorcard type.

Some LX90s came out with a card that didnt allow the 909.

All the patch does is remove the blocks ( for all mounts ), ie no functional changes happen, its just not blocked.

If you plug it in, then use hold mode to get to the alternate menus, if you see reticle/focusser, then the 909 is detected.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• Piet Le Roux likes this

#7 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:58 AM

The Autostar may be a bit slower but I can feel that it generate a lot less heat than the Audiostar and therefore it's safe to say it consume less power.  

#8 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

The Meade #909 accessory port module was for reticle, focuser, and CCD autoguiding on the LX90 when originally released.   These are no longer made and are very hard to find now, as are the clones that were available many years ago.

Autoguiding through the #497 is a simple serial connection to the AUX port at the base of the handset using a #505 cable or equivalent.

The Meade Autoguider Port Module APM Dongle # 07509 seems to be back in production : this one was assembled in Mexico and sold by B&H this year. I also have a USB to #505 cable to use with PHD which I now know to be the better option. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0014.JPG

#9 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:23 AM

This would be scary for some : The unused Autostar controller that I bought has a date stamp of 99/12 on its printed circuit board so it was made on the twelfth week of 1999 that makes it 20 years old and after I had updated it's firmware and user data it can do everything my Audiostar, that was made in 2014, can do! But as someone  had said : the wheel is few thousand years old and its still working fine 

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 01 April 2019 - 10:24 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics