•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Successor for Nikon SE?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alpha_centauri

alpha_centauri

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:58 AM

The Nikon SE are lauded here in the forum since a long time. But they are not offered anymore. Did Nikon make a succesor line of these bins? If there are none, any guess why Nikon would stop producing such a well regarded candidate for medium priced porro with center focus?

#2 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:00 AM

The Nikon SE are lauded here in the forum since a long time. But they are not offered anymore. Did Nikon make a succesor line of these bins? If there are none, any guess why Nikon would stop producing such a well regarded candidate for medium priced porro with center focus?

Hello Alpha,

More money per unit is made by selling rather expensive roof prism binoculars to bird watchers and to hunters than selling even premium Porro binoculars.  Binocular astronomers do not need waterproofing , shock resistance or close focus and they are a  small market for binoculars from 7x to 12x.  The Se  binoculars of 10x and 8x power were in some ways better than the Nikon XL, aka HG, but  hunters and bird watchers were convinced of the superiority of roof glasses for their needs. 

One retailer told me that his binocular sales were geared to hunters and bird watchers.  I suspect that he could more readily sell a telescope, at the same price point as an SE, than a binocular to amateur astronomers . 

If anyone cares to do so, they can compare the last price point of an SE  to the price and capability of either a contemporary telescope or a  contemporary big binocular.

Clear skies,

Arthur Pinewood

• alpha_centauri likes this

#3 Crusty99

Crusty99

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:38 PM

Arthur... I too lament the fading of the Nikon SE binoculars.

gramps.gif

#4 dries1

dries1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

Well they might be not made anymore, it is a shame, but I stocked up, and with care in use, they can last a lifetime. I should add to Arthur s statement, Nikon sells many low to mid range (inexpensive) glass these days, nothing like the EDG or the SE is made today, save the Monarch HG, a good mid range glass, but that is it..... oh I forgot, the WX, the other extreme, $$$$.

Andy W.

#5 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

I am glad I have all 3 different sizes of the SE lol.gif  in my collection.

#6 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:40 AM

After I got the 8x32's I stopped buying binoculars. Maybe the other manufacturers paid Nikon to stop production

Dereck

#7 Corona Non Grata

Corona Non Grata

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

I came close to bidding on a 10x42 recently and while the price was good the locale it was coming from left me worried about internal dust.

Edited by Corona Non Grata, 19 March 2019 - 09:06 AM.

#8 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

Around 16 years ago, I exchanged a few emails with Nikon representatives asking about this very subject.

It was made quite clear to me, even then, that so far as "top of the range" binoculars were concerned, the company was only really interested in developing and marketing ROOF prism models.

Of course the WX eventually came along, but that was a one - off  "showpiece" effort.

At the time I was more interested in if there could ever be a chance of a Nikon 15x60 SE being produced, but very sadly that was never  going to be the case.

I still think it could have been the perfect 15x binocular for ME.

Kenny

• Albie, alpha_centauri, GabrielKnight and 1 other like this

#9 Peacock

Peacock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

The new high-performance budget Porro binoculars are the Canon image stabilizers.

#10 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

An Aussie retailer on eBay has listed a brand new pair (NOS) of the Nikon 12x50SE for AUD1800.

Sigh ... nothing quite as frustrating as a savvy retailer wisening up to the value/desirability of a dusty old gem in the back of a cupboard.

G.K.

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted Yesterday, 03:14 AM

At the moment, it seems safe to say that there is no successor to the Nikon SE's and there likely will never be..

There are 2 lines of top quality, compact porro binoculars still in production to the best of my knowledge:

Nikon's EII 8x30 and 10x35

and

Swarovski's Habicht 8x30, 7x42 and 10x40, with or with our rubber armor

If you want one, get one, because nobody knows how long these lines will remain in production.

#12 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted Yesterday, 03:56 AM

I'm interested on the forthcoming APM 8x30 ED. They will be IF as the SE, but Markus said a CF version will come too.

#13 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

8x30E2 are still available, but I believe production has stopped, the small number of centenary ones being the last, get hem whilst you can!

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics