•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problems with Plate Solve 2 with images obtained with LX200 classic with reducer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alberto.garciasanchez

alberto.garciasanchez

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:00 AM

Hello,
I have a meade lx200 classic 1600 focal with the reducer to do astrometry and photometry. Until now I used Elbrus in a very successful way to solve the field of my shots and to be able to focus, but I have been forced to switch to Plate Solve 2 since I have used the Sequence Generator Pro software to program my sessions. The problem I have is that I am unable to solve any of my shots with Plate Solve 2. I have checked that everything is correct and that the catalogs are well installed but can not find the solution. However, if that image is uploaded to the Astronometry.net website and I make a Blind Solve, it finds me the solution after a few minutes. I think it's a matter of finding the right configuration, because if I use Plate Solve 2 to solve images with other telescope settings that I have, it gives me images of more field works. If someone can give me an idea where to throw it, I appreciate it.

I attach a file with one of my example images in case someone can try it and see if it is solved. The data that astronomy.net provides me are the following:

Size: 31.7 x 23.6 arcmin
Radiuis: 0.329 deg
Pixel Sacale: 2.38 arcseg / pixel

Thank you very much and greetings

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

Attached image?

And Welcome to CN! Your Astronomical Pain Palliative!

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:28 AM

Have you set your equipment profile - telescope parameters and camera parameters?
Mind you SGP could use Elbrus as plate solver too.

#4 alberto.garciasanchez

alberto.garciasanchez

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

Sorry, my image exceeded the limit allowed, I will have to reduce it to be able to attach it. What I do to not depend on Sequence Generator Pro is to directly use Plate Solve 2 by loading the image and it does not solve it. In any case in Sequence Generator Pro if I have everything properly configured. I know that Elbrus can be used but it gives me a weird error that indicates that it can not convert the COM object and I am blocked.

#5 alberto.garciasanchez

alberto.garciasanchez

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

Hello again, I have been able to record the image in jpg so that it occupies less, I send it to you, I just solved it with astronometry.net and it has returned the results that I have put in the first post. But with Plate Solve 2 it does not solve it. any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• Cometa C2018 Y1 (Iwamoto)_000000007.jpg

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

I need the approximate RA and DEC.

PS2 is not a "blind" solver, you have to input those.  They need not be really close, but PS2 is faster the closer they are.

#7 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

I have ANSVR set up as my blind solver in SGP.  It is a local implementation of astrometry.net, excellent for blind solves, and supported by SGP.  Loading your jpg into SGP and doing a blind ANSVR solve took 47 seconds, solved with index index-4204-23.fits  and showed

RA 5 42 18
Dec 35 13 29

angle 3.07
scale 2.38

At that point entering that information into SGP's plate solve window or running PlateSolve 2 directly (it is in the SGP directly) both fail.  An advantage in running it directly is that you can change the various parameters more easily for testing but still no success there.

As for suggestions...

You might want to install ANSVR from https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/ At least it works and is faster than Astrometry.net and you don't need internet access.

You might also wish to post your question and image to the SGP forum at http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/ (you would have to join the mainsequence forum to post)

Sorry I can't be more help.  Good luck!

Edited by S.Boerner, 15 March 2019 - 09:52 AM.

• Dynan likes this

#8 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

Loading your jpg into SGP and doing a blind ANSVR solve took 47 seconds, solved with index index-4204-23.fits  and showed

Could you please explain exactly how you do that in SPG? I have the image loaded, but can't seem to find how to plate solve the image. I have all ANSVR libraries installed.

Please let me rephrase my question. I found how to go to plate solve the image... Right click and choose plate solve. I choose Blind Plate Solve and have Atromerty.net (Remote) chosen, but it seem to be trying to connect to Astrometry.net over the internet. How do I have it use the Remote solve on my computer?

TIA

Edited by Dynan, 15 March 2019 - 10:57 AM.

#9 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

You need to set up Plate Solving in the Control Panel.  You want Local soving.  There may be other ways to do it but I use the following:

Press Ctrl-E to get the Control Panel.  From there select the Plate Solve tab and then click the Blind Settings button.  In the new Other Plate Solve Options window change End Point to ANSVR (Local Astrometry Net).

Probably yours currently shows Astrometry.net (Remote).

Oh, and if there is any problem check to see if ANSVR is running in the background.  One way to do that is from Windows Start/Astrometry.net Local Server/Watch ANSVR Log.

Edited by S.Boerner, 15 March 2019 - 12:51 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#10 alberto.garciasanchez

alberto.garciasanchez

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Hello Viking 1,

thanks for your tests.

I have already tried with the local installation of AVNSR but it is quite slow and it does not solve most of the shots. What I do not understand is that the website of astronometry.net works well for me and Plate Solve 2 does not work as it has happened to you, I do not understand what the problem may be. At least now I know that it is not a problem of my configuration and my installation. I have put the question as you suggest in the mainsequence forum, I hope you can help me.

Thank you

#11 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:45 AM

Thanks S.Boerner. I found my problem...or A problem. My BitDefender didn't get along with Astrometry trying to connect online.

Your help straightened out my imaging laptop.

Thanks again!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics