•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CCDInspector One-Star Collimation & Polaris

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:20 AM

Trying to kill some time here while waiting for the CP4 to come back.

I bought the CCDInspector and I’m planning to use it to collimate my RC8. Has anyone done this by using the Polaris, meaning is it bright enough for one-star collimation and I could do this now without slewing or tracking? Has anyone done this and any thoughts if the QSI or the Lodestar would be better suited for this purpose? I briefly tried the multi-star collimation option the other night and the program kept telling me that my FOV is not large enough (or something similar). Further, any other tips before I start to rotate those pesky screws of the secondary mirror (my plan is not to touch the primary mirror unless absolutely necessary).

Thanks,

Mikko

#2 drmikevt

drmikevt

Viking 1

• Loc: Burlington, VT

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

Your  RC8  plus QSI has a plenty large enough FOV.  The problem, most likely, was there there were not enough stars in your FOV.  The program likes a very full star field for collimation.  It will definitely be better for you to first polar align your mount and start tracking.  I normally take 30sec images through an L filter to feed into the program for collimation.  Tends to work well.  

Collimating your RC should be 3 distinct steps (in my opinion - others have other opinions)

- First, use a laser to make sure your camera is properly aligned with the central spot on the secondary

- Next, use a perfectly centered out of focus star to collimate the primary to the camera (described here: http://www.deepskyin...re_Ver_1.0.pdf)

- Finally, use CCDI to collimate the secondary.  There are other ways to collimate the secondary and some people don't fully trust CCDI, but it seems to give me good results.  I think that using a full star field will give better results than a single star. 

#3 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Mike. I did already the laser alignment and I think it's OK. I say this as I find it difficult to see exactly where the laser is pointing behind the secondary or where it hits back to end of the tube. I guess using a single star collimation AND tracking would be difficult when I have to defocus the star so much. This of course unless I refocus the Guide Camera after doing this. Not sure if one method is better than another (single versus many stars).

- Mikko

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics