•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Needle Galaxy - First light teaser with QHY247C

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

After several weeks, I finally had my first opportunity to get my new (to me) QHY247C out under the stars.  The conditions weren't the best, average transparency and seeing was 3/5, with 10 mph winds most of the night.  But since we have had terrible weather in Southern California lately I was just happy to get out there.  Since my primary target was the Leo Triplet (gathered 3 hours on that to do a shootout comparison with the ASI 071MC-Pro), I only gathered an hour of usable subs on the Needle Galaxy.  I must say, I am very impressed with this little camera, as I primarily shoot with an ASI1600MM-Cool and astrodon filters.  With ONE measly hour of 3 minute subs in my bortle 5 back yard, with the quarter moon looming over me, I was able to get this result.  It won't win any prizes and it is a bit noisy, but I am pretty sure the result is better than I would get with 20 min on each color (no lum) with my Asi1600MM-Cool.  Comments and critique welcomed as always.

Higher Res version here:
https://flic.kr/p/2fcci72

47384372521_9a3c6a6a08_z.jpg

Edited by mistateo, 15 March 2019 - 11:22 AM.

• astrovienna, buckeyestargazer, elmiko and 7 others like this

#2 astroPaulG

astroPaulG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

Never underestimate OSC ;). I like the result and regarding the short integration time, Bortle 5 and quarter moon, it is really impressive.

God I wished there would be just a single clear hour ... Waiting since month :(
  • mistateo likes this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

Nice image Mistateo. Really turned out nice. Especially for only one hour!

Keep up the great work Mike

• mistateo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics