•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi Zero W and PHD2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DrJones

DrJones

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

Hi together,

Maybe you can help me with this: Before I purchased a Raspberry pi zero w as a dedicated guiding unit, I tested how and if the installation of PHD2 would work on Debian in a virtual machine (Raspbian is based on Debian stretch) and it worked like a charm. After getting the pi, I did the same, all compilation steps worked nice (took forever though but that was to be expected). But. It won't start. It always spits out the error that it wouldn't find toupcamlib.so and I have no clue what to do about that...any idea? Should I use Ubuntu Mate, would that work better?

#2 gzotti

gzotti

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

The error indicates you are missing that library, toupcamlib.so. Is that a part of PHD2? maybe just run ldconfig so that it will be found. Or search which package to install with apt.

Ubuntu Mate works great on an RPi3, but I am not sure about the Zero (have not tried, though). And the problem will likely persist when the library is not a "standard" library.

#3 DrJones

DrJones

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

I will have a look at that, thanks for the suggestion. But why would it run flawlessly on Debian? Arm architecture?

#4 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

Normally this lib is available with the phd2 source, in cameras/toupcam/linux/ . You see there is a lib for armel, armhf and arm64.

The problem is to select the right one and tell phd2 to use it.

For that phd2 on Linux is now a shell script that launch the real binary, so you have to "make install". phd2 will not run directly from the build directory.

But if you not use this camera a simple solution to avoid all this problem is to add the following to the cmake options: -DOPENSOURCE_ONLY=1

Patrick

• mclewis1 and Oleg Astro like this

#5 vio

vio

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

There are multiple dimensions of the compatibility. One is the Linux distribution, having ports of the app or libraries you depend on. Another is the hardware architecture, mostly dependent on processor but not only. For instance you could have arm64 vs armhf using the same board, and need to make sure that’s covered too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 DrJones

DrJones

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

So some updates: I was trying to run phd2 from the terminal and this is where it produces those errors. When I try to run it from the desktop (after make install it is listed under 'entertainment'), it won't launch. This was done using the Pi Zero W.

I purchased another Raspberry Pi: 3B+.
Launching the program from the terminal creates the same error but the desktop app will launch and it works as it should. Something seems to be off for the Pi Zero W here... Someone else on another forum (indilib) claimed that he made it work on the Zero W).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics