•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TAK NJP TEMMA 2 control options.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

I'm about to upgrade my NEQ6 to the NJP to hold my dual imaging rig of 55lbs. I was using EQMOD and that was fine but what now? I'm not super great with software and computers so the simplicity of this mount was very attractive as I've read alot about it. It's going to be permanently mounted in my little dome.

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

Using ASCOM temma drivers will allow you to use various planetarium programs like The Sky, Carte du Ceil, and so on.  Going to the ASCOM site will provide you with a link to drivers like Chuck Faranda’s driver.  To use it you will need to install the latest version of ASCOM.  I believe later versions of The Sky has a driver already that you can choose during Setup.  

• Ken Sturrock likes this

#3 Alterf

Alterf

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

What Dwight J says.  I use the Faranda driver and Cartes du Ciel.  I've used Maxim 6 with the Faranda driver. I've also used TheSky with TheSky's own native driver.   And I've used SkySafari through an Apple iPod (SkySafari has its own driver).  I've also used SkySafari with a bluetooth connector.  They all work very well.

Of these, I think the simplest is Cartes du Ciel or SkySafari.  For setting up, SkySafari with the Apple connecting cord is the simplest.

Val

#4 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:47 PM

Ok cool, so I use the same shoestring connector and EQmod interface?

#5 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

I'm familiar with CDC, so in choosing the connection instead of the EQ5/6 option I chose this other driver called Faranda?

#6 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

If you do not already have it, you will need the proprietary Takahashi computer interface cable and, unless you haver serial ports on your computer, a serial to usb converter, around $30 or so.  Takahashi also has their own “Pegasus” software that comes on CD with the mount - when new.  As you are buying pre-owned you may not get the CD.  I found it tricky to connect anyway with parameters you need to guess at (stop bits, baud rate, etc) you no loss if you did not get it.  Simple plug cable into the computer out jack on the mount, I think labelled rs232 but I have a EM200 so NJP may label it differently, and the other end via usb converter into your computer.  Open control program and choose mount driver or mount from chooser list in setup, click connect, and you are in business.  You can sell the EQmod interface module.  The ASCOM driver is written by Chuck Faranda.  Here is the driver link:   http://ccdastro.net/iprojects.html

You will need to install ASCOM first.  

#7 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

Awesome Dwight , thank you very much! Seller said the interface cable is included.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics