•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY Price Drops

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa Bay

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

Just posting for anyone interested, I just got this in an email from Agena. QHY seem to be aiming to compete more with ZWO. The decision to pick QHY seems like a no brainer now, given their typically better design including the small form factor for the USB3.0 5III series, and better cooling and dew prevention on the cooled cameras - given the issues people have had with ZWO condensation and frost on sensor, etc. 

qhy.jpg

• Jim Waters and elmiko like this

#2 Thirteen

Thirteen

Gemini

• Loc: Milford, Michigan

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

....not a no brainer for the backfocus-challenged.

Am I to believe no one has had condensation issues with QHY? Honest question, I haven’t researched it.
  • roofkid likes this

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

If QHY were to work on the camera drivers a bit more they would have a real winner. I find the drivers can be a bit problematic.

#4 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

I have nothing against QHY but I have tried their cameras and they fall short for me for the following reasons:

1. Driver and software issues - seems to be improving but still lags competitors

2. Lack of a USB hub - Why the weird auto guider port?

3. Back focus is better on ZWO cameras

4. Price - which they seem to be rectifying now

For me condensation has never been a problem with the newer ZWO camera design.

• roofkid likes this

#5 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:45 PM

Well I have owned about 10 different QHY (5 cooled) and 3 ZWO (2 cooled) CMOS cameras. All the QHY performed at or above spec for cooling delta and never had condensation, while for the ZWO one performed under spec for cooling and both had condensation and frost issues. Needless to say I'm not a glutton for punishment and that was the end of my experience with ZWO.

I've also not seen any other posts about the condensation from anyone else on QHY, though many for ZWO.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a ZWO vs QHY debate, that is just my experience.
  • psandelle and pbunn like this

#6 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Interesting about the driver issues... I have never had any driver issues personally among all those camera so I guess I'm lucky in the PC hardware I use. I can see how that would be a reason to be wary, as well as backfocus concern.
  • psandelle likes this

#7 RMannix57

RMannix57

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gales Ferry, CT

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

I can save everyone a ton of money by posting what I buy. If I bought it, the price will drop within 6 months.

• numchuck, santafe retiree, jtrezzo and 1 other like this

#8 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:47 PM

Do you have the links to the products with these prices?  I wasn't able to find them.  Thanks...

#9 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

Do you have the links to the products with these prices?  I wasn't able to find them.  Thanks...

https://agenaastro.c...pby/qhyccd.html

They also have the new prices on OPT, but I looked on High Point and they weren't updated yet. Haven't checked others.

#10 dghent

dghent

Mariner 2

• Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:11 AM

If QHY were to work on the camera drivers a bit more they would have a real winner. I find the drivers can be a bit problematic.

Having recently did the native SDK integration of the QHY SDK into NINA, I can say that there were some interesting bugs encountered in the course of doing that. HOWEVER, once I notified QHY of these issues, they were very quick to turn around fixes and, to-date, every issue I've raised with their team has been fixed. Eventually more recent versions of their SDK will find their way into apps and their ASCOM driver, if one uses that.

It seems that they're in the closing stages of rewriting parts of their SDK, I suppose to better-support non-Windows OSes (their SDK is now available in macOS, Linux (x86 and ARM), and Android favors.) Doing this while also releasing new hardware (and RPi3-based system) must be keeping their software team busy. That said, I do like these prices and I'd love to get a cam for myself, but I don't currently have the need for another one other than to use for testing NINA code.

• psandelle likes this

#11 vdb

vdb

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:41 AM

for small chips maybe ZWO has the advantage of the HUB and I did not really hear of condensation issues the bigger chips, disaster, condensation will kick in if you cool beyond -10, some can go to -15 ... 

Just recently a fellow astronomer bought the slatest 071, same issue still ...

So smaller ... doesn't matter and if you want to run the risk to fry the camera via a bad USB peripheral hooked up to the camera go ZWO, for larger chips (APS) go QHY ...

I have both ...

/Yves

• jtrezzo likes this

#12 akulapanam

akulapanam

Vanguard

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

ZWO has a lot more amp glow on the Sony cameras then QHY. Personally I have found QHY drivers to be stable
  • psandelle likes this

#13 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Mariner 2

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:59 PM

Jarrett, Thank you for posting about the price drop.  I've been wanting to pickup QHY5III224C.  Order placed.

Clear skies,

John

• psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics