•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will be getting my first dedicated cooled QHY CMOS soon...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

I will be purchasing my first cooled CMOS camera soon, likely the QHY168c, and was looking for a little help regarding the imaging train.  I have been using a Canon 6D and 102mm refractor for a couple years with good success but I wanted something a bit more suited to smaller galaxies and nebulae during the summer season.  Unfortunately the optical train is a bit more complicated (to me, at least) with the QHY offering than a DSLR.  I will be purchasing an 8" Edge HD with reducer as well which is what the QHY will be mounted on almost exclusively.

QHY has some diagrams on their website that go along with this series of cameras but I wanted to pose the question to the community regarding OAG's, spacers, etc. to see if there are any cheaper or better options than what QHY offers for their cameras.  For those that have the QHY OAG, are you happy with it?  Is there something you wish you would have gotten instead?  I have the QHY5LII guide cam currently on my guide scope...can that be used for the OAG cam as well?  Are there any other adapters I should be using?  I noticed that QHY recommends a 2" UV/IR cut filter since their coating is different on this cam...any suggestions on that?

Thanks for any help.

#2 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:52 PM

Unfortunately, yes it is much more complicated and costly to get all the adapters set up for the cooled cameras (not just a QHY problem) as most things have ready made solutions for DSLRs and their spacing, like the adapter Celestron sells for the Edge, but due to the variability in back focus of dedicated astronomy cameras they don't have such things.

I like the QHY OAG. You'll want the OAG-M, the S is kind of small. Your 5LII will work, but it may be a bit narrow a field of view, depending on the area you are imaging there just might not be any good stars to guide on. Keep in mind they use M54 thread on the camera too. I would recommend you get this for a 2" UV/IR Cut holder, and an M54-M48 adapter, because you will need something to get enough spacing for the Edge, which is 105mm. It's not really possible to find M54 extension tubes and you will have much better success finding M48. The OAG has M54 female thread on both sides...which can be a problem. I also got the spacer kit which helped take up a good bit of the spacing and let me bolt the OAG directly to the camera (thus making one of the M54 female sides unnecessary. Just so you know if you do that you need to get the right length screws, it did not come with any.

Lastly you will probably also need something to connect it all to the reducer in order to put it all together. If you can get an adapter for 2" SCT thread of the rducer to the imaging train (assuming it would be M48), it will be best to reduce any chance of tilt.

So theoretically your image train could be QHY168C > QHY OAG-M + Spacer Kit  > M54 Filter holder > M54M-M48F > M48 extension > 2" SCT-M48 adapter> Reducer > Edge 8

Maybe someone has an easier way, I don't know!

Edited by jtrezzo, 15 March 2019 - 11:08 PM.

#3 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

Thanks!  That was exactly what I was looking for.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics