•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Updating SynScan firmware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott123

Scott123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

I have a SynScan hand controller that came with my Orion Sirius EQ-G. I bought it used, and have't had a chance to set it up yet. I have put the mount on the tripod, attached the hand controller, powered it up, pretended to polar align, balanced my scope, etc.

Do I need to update the firmware? I can't remember the firmware version on the HC, I do know it can be updated.

Will this update the database of objects, too?

Does the mount have firmware that should be updated?

And, lastly, where can I find a firmware update cable? I tried making one, but the firmware update software couldn't see the controller. It could see the USB to RS-232 adapter. 

Edited by Scott123, 15 March 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

If it's working OK, you do not need to a firmware update.

The main purpose of a firmware update is to fix problems and add new features. You can find the latest F/W here.

http://skywatcher.co...oller-firmware/

Did you put your hand controller in update mode. Hold the 8 key down and plug the power cable into the bottom of the HC.

If you have a V3 or V4 HC connect the RS232 cable that came with the mount to the HC. If your PC has an RS232 port connect it to that, if not you need a USB to RS232 adapter with a FTDI chip set.

https://www.ebay.com...&frcectupt=true

The latest V5 HC have a USB port on the bottom of the HC and comes with a USB cable.

#3 Scott123

Scott123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:13 PM

Yes, I put the HC in update mode (I forgot to include that in my original post, sorry). 

The HC is a V3. I'm probably the third owner, the seller didn't have the cable. As I said, I tried to make one, but it didn't work. I have the USB to RS-232 adapter (see last sentence in OP), my computer recognizes it, but the update software doesn't see the HC.

It sounds like I don't really need to update the firmware; I'll let it stay at the current version.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics