•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY Regular vs Slim Filter Wheels?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cloudswimmer

cloudswimmer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

Hi guys, can anybody familiar with QHY Filter wheels help me understand the differences between their regular and slim line filter wheels, and why I would choose one over the other. Also they make two models ...... one being about $150.00 more than the other ..... need help deciding there too. I'm getting the full frame QHY367C, their medium OAG, and need one of these filter wheels for using 2" filters (Luminance filter, Ha/Oiii/Sii filters, and maybe a light pollution filter like the L-PRO) Scopes I plan on using are an 8" Ritchey with 2.5" Moonlight, 10" f/5 Newtonian with 3" VanSlyke focuser and coma corrector, a Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, and next year a Takahashi FSQ106 EDXIV. Thanks guys waytogo.gif

Chris

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

1. The thin require less space for limited back focus rigs (like my fast RH200 scope). So, measure your back focus and see if you require the thin.

2. You can use slightly thicker filters in the regular filter wheels.

3. Are you talking the Gen 2 and the Gen 3? That's the price difference I'm seeing. I went with the most recent as it seemed to be more up-to-date.

I use the QHY367M and the QHY128C, and I use the medium-sized Gen 3 slim (just got it, so working with it for the first time now).

Paul

#3 lucam

lucam

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

I use a thin QHY CFW3 Medium with Astrodon filters (3mm thickness) and it works a treat. I guess if one wanted to stack filters maybe they would need the regular version.

• psandelle likes this

#4 cloudswimmer

cloudswimmer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

Whats frustrating is the filter manufacturers only have the thickness of the glass itself .. not the thickness of the mount on mounted filters. Eventually I'll get Astrodon or Chroma filters unmounted filters .. but right now I need to be able to mount mounted Optolong filters, you guys know if those will fit in the slim Version 3 filter wheel? I would like to play around with this camera on my fast Newtonian which definately is back focus challenged compared to my Ritchey obviously .. so it seems like the slim version gives you that much more back focus posibility .. but will mounted filters fit? Wish QHY had a USA phone number .. seems the sales guys I've talked with so far at a couple of the popular retailers are just guessing at this. Anyway thanks guys.

#5 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

My mounted astronomik fit fine in the ultra slim version.

Installation is like surgery but its a nice fit.

#6 cccha

cccha

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:00 AM

Whats frustrating is the filter manufacturers only have the thickness of the glass itself .. not the thickness of the mount on mounted filters. Eventually I'll get Astrodon or Chroma filters unmounted filters .. but right now I need to be able to mount mounted Optolong filters, you guys know if those will fit in the slim Version 3 filter wheel? I would like to play around with this camera on my fast Newtonian which definately is back focus challenged compared to my Ritchey obviously .. so it seems like the slim version gives you that much more back focus posibility .. but will mounted filters fit? Wish QHY had a USA phone number .. seems the sales guys I've talked with so far at a couple of the popular retailers are just guessing at this. Anyway thanks guys.

On this page you can see the filter conditions for each filter wheel to support the maximum thickness.
https://www.qhyccd.c...137&id=34&cut=1

#7 Stamos

Stamos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

I have the cfw2m ultra slim filter wheel, baader filters do not fit inside the wheel as their cells are 6mm thick.
I had to buy some cheap ebay filters and install the baaders into their 4.5mm thick cells

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics