•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Experimental CMOS imaging with an endoscope instead of a webcam

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cinniss

Cinniss

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

So I'm wanting to know if anyone has had any luck with using one of those small flexible endoscopes attached to the telescope for planetary imaging or if it's even been attempted. I was thinking of rigging something up for eyepiece projection unless someone thinks it would be better suited for prime focus. The advantages being a significant decrease in weight and also the ability to then utilize a mobile device or tablet for capturing instead of having the need for a laptop. The endoscope that I have in mind has a 90° FOV so to me it seems like just figuring out the correct distance to put it from the eyepiece. Someone jump in and let me know if you have any ideas or if I've got it all bass ackwards. Thanks.

Edited by Cinniss, 16 March 2019 - 06:43 PM.

#2 jeff.bottman

jeff.bottman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

Isn't an endoscope used for colonoscopies?  If so the only planet it's good for is Uranus.

• Stelios, jhayes_tucson, happylimpet and 8 others like this

#3 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

OMG, Uranus is the butt of all space jokes!!
  • Mark326 likes this

#4 Cinniss

Cinniss

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

Lol! Yeah it is! So they started making portable ones that connect to android devices for inspecting drain pipes, electronics, inside of pc towers, etc. https://www.amazon.c...i_uzzJCbZGVKF8M
That's what I was curious about.

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

Lol! Yeah it is! So they started making portable ones that connect to android devices for inspecting drain pipes, electronics, inside of pc towers, etc. https://www.amazon.c...i_uzzJCbZGVKF8M
That's what I was curious about.

The AMZ one is different.  It's just a small webcam with a macro/close-up lens located at the far end of the snake.

AFAIK, Endoscope one is more like a long light pipe, kind like a relay lens, bringing already focused image on the near-end of the pipe where the camera is shooting into that plane.

My view in both cases, forgetaboutit.

#6 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

I cant imagine this helping in any way. As you put it, youve got it bass ackwards. I'm trying to figure that out....let me sleep on it.

#7 Cinniss

Cinniss

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

To give a better visual, I took a pic of the webcam adapter, a regular webcam sensor and then the boroscope/endoscope next to the adapter. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1552785504268478.jpg
  • 1552785554034876.jpg
  • 1552785861963585.jpg

#8 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:30 AM

Is your intention just to use the camera and not the flexible scope? If so, a camera these days is just a digital sensor. The challenges of using the camera from the endoscope would be non-standard threads, non-standard backfocal requirements, etc. Those could be worked around, but if the sensor in the camera is good, there is no reason it couldn't be used effectively for AP. I guess the biggest issue would be, is the software that works with the scope capable of delivering the data in a format you could effectively process for AP purposes?

• Cinniss likes this

#9 Cinniss

Cinniss

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:21 AM

@Jon Rista
Yes. I was intending to use it just for the camera. As far as the non-standard backfocal requirements, I'm not sure what you're talking about there. I'm a beginner at this. I can tell you that the camera settings have brightness, contrast, white balance, gamma and a sharpness setting and is able to capture video in .mp4 but not in .avi format.

#10 Cinniss

Cinniss

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:57 AM

Okay... now I know what back focal is. It's what I was thinking were field of view issues but now I know what it's actually called. Yes, that was an issue. I tried on a basic spotting scope using the moon with slop results compared to just sticking my phone camera to the lens. Definitely not as advantageous as I'd thought. Thanks for the input, knowledge and advice.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190317_234906.jpg
  • 20190317_234746.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics