•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neaf

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff L

Jeff L

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:31 PM

Do NEAF vendors lower their prices on Sunday?

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

They may offer discounts on big, heavy display items they don't want to schlep home. Hint, bring lots of cash!

• ewave and NYJohn S like this

#3 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

Almost everything has reduced show prices both Saturday and Sunday. They sometimes will give

a further discount both days if they feel motivated. They are really motivated by Sunday afternoon.

• George N likes this

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

Amateur  Astronomer's ULTIMATE "CANDY" STORE!!!

Lots of items the vendors only bring one or two (especially if larger) --- I like Saturday (AM) while the "picken's" are still good.  

I always go home with LESS cash!!!!!

M11Mike

• REC and Brianfromsyr like this

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:48 PM

Moved to Astronomy Shows for better fit.

#6 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

Almost everything has reduced show prices both Saturday and Sunday. They sometimes will give

a further discount both days if they feel motivated. They are really motivated by Sunday afternoon.

There are no "rules" or "promises" -- you might have to pay the current web price - or the 'show discount' may well be available to anyone ordering for a week or two after the show. Of course you get your item right there, can open it up to check for problems - not shipping - you can use it that night, etc.

-- but I have personally purchased a GEM displayed by a well-known company, late on Sunday - an hour before closure. I asked, and it took a few minutes of behind-the-counter discussion in Chinese -- but the answer was "yes". I had not asked for more than the show discount on their mounts at the "store vendors" - but they not only offered me an additional discount, plus factory warrantee - they disassembled the thing, showing me how to do it (and make other adjustments) and even offered to carry it out to my car!

One of the well-known Chinese camera makers had sold product all weekend at the same discount price as the 'store vendors'. Then, around 1 or 2 PM on Sunday, they significantly reduced the price on their limited remaining stock! I bought a planetary camera and asked "why?" The answer: "It can take forever to get Chinese-made stuff thru customs when going back into the country. I just want to get home at a reasonable time - so this stuff all has to go!"

I've seen one or more of the Euro book publishers add a discount - or additional discount - on Sunday afternoon.

So.... my experience over a lot of years - there may or may not be better discounts on Sunday afternoon (and the show opens later on Sunday morning) -- and there will usually be a noticeable reduction in "stuff" at the store vendors.

Also, many of the "rep's" are buzzed-out by late Sunday - they will still try to answer your questions - but the tiredness is obvious. The College has a pretty strict "must be out by" time - and it is early. Their crew starts pulling stuff down at the minute after closing - and the place goes crazy - so many try to start packing the last hour or so - and most people have gravitated to the main presentation anyway (hint - get there early if you want a seat - everyone will be there).

One of the advantages of going Sunday - the crowds are lower on the exhibit floor - especially if the solar viewing weather is good. Many of the people are still there - but they have spent all their money - so more likely to be attending the many fine presentations. All this means it is a lot easier to walk around and get good views at the maker displays - easier to talk to reps (like say Software Bisque) - and easier to 'pick thru' the store vendor tables.

Personally -- my recommendation - if you can get to both days - do it! It will give you more 'presentation time' and time to talk to friends, etc. Plus, if you really want to dig thru all of the new gear, software, books, etc - it will take more than one day.

Otherwise -- there are 'deals' to be had all weekend. It never hurts to ask! I've had some great deals come my way at NEAF.

A few years ago the 'store vendors' got in an 'eyepiece war' for a few hours. Hand-written signs where updated about every 20 minutes offering lower discounts. One friend bought an Ethos for a fantastic price - and the vendor said - this is crazy - that's below our cost! And it ended just as fast as it had started.

Who knows if they will be doing it this year - but High Point has, for 2 or 3 past years, bought the entire display of Celestron, Meade, etc - and sell the stuff off at a considerable discount after NEAF. This is brand new stuff - I've watched them set up - and the boxes are straight from China. For many of the most popular items - you need to buy the item at the show (or over the phone) and they will hold it for you. For some reason, they wouldn't let you just take the item at NEAF. they claimed that they wanted to take it all back to their facility so that they could inspect the items to insure they are 'like new' before selling.

• rowdy388 and MikeMiller like this

#7 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

I've only gone to NEAF the past four years since I retired and only then on Saturdays. Maybe I should 

go on Sunday this year if I can convince my carpool to switch it up.

#8 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

One thing I've noticed over the years attending most NEAFs is that there was also no tax.  Not sure about the agreement this year, but that will also save you money, especially the more you purchase.

#9 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

One thing I've noticed over the years attending most NEAFs is that there was also no tax.  Not sure about the agreement this year, but that will also save you money, especially the more you purchase.

Oh, there's tax -- NYS Sales Tax at 8.875% -- which has to be paid -

-- but most vendors either "bury it" in the price, or take it out of their profits. I've had a few "small" vendors make me pay it.

See the top of page 7 on the "vendor's info" pdf file: http://rocklandastro..._VendorPack.pdf

It's pretty much "another discount" offered by the vendors.

I have no idea what will happen this year -- other than the tax will be paid, altho you may well not see it. NYS tends to get really nasty about such things, and something as big as NEAF surely attracts their attention.

#10 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

This was just sent to me from RAC for posting

NEAF/NEAIC Official Statement: (Regarding the measles concern in Rockland County)

Rest assured, there are no travel restrictions to NEAF and NEAIC or measles documentation required as some internet rumors have indicated.  Recent news stories and internet rumors have greatly exaggerated concerns in Rockland County. 

An increased occurrence of measles in the county was first noted last fall,   likely due, according to the CDC,  to some families choosing not to vaccinate their children.

News stories escalated when a judge banned 44 unvaccinated children from returning to Green Meadow Waldorf School in Chestnut Ridge, NY, a progressive private school which does not require standard childhood immunizations, as are required in all other state-run schools.   Most news stories are surrounding the judge’s verdict to ban unvaccinated children from school and are not about any risk of contracting measles in Rockland.

Once again, there is no concern of measles at NEAF and NEAIC nor is there any required paperwork at the door.  Rumors of this are simply false and should be whole heartily ignored. 

As always, we hope you will enjoy your visit to NEAF and NEAIC and we look forward to seeing you.

#11 albln

albln

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

This was just sent to me from RAC for posting

NEAF/NEAIC Official Statement: (Regarding the measles concern in Rockland County)

Rest assured, there are no travel restrictions to NEAF and NEAIC or measles documentation required as some internet rumors have indicated.  Recent news stories and internet rumors have greatly exaggerated concerns in Rockland County. 

An increased occurrence of measles in the county was first noted last fall,   likely due, according to the CDC,  to some families choosing not to vaccinate their children.

News stories escalated when a judge banned 44 unvaccinated children from returning to Green Meadow Waldorf School in Chestnut Ridge, NY, a progressive private school which does not require standard childhood immunizations, as are required in all other state-run schools.   Most news stories are surrounding the judge’s verdict to ban unvaccinated children from school and are not about any risk of contracting measles in Rockland.

Once again, there is no concern of measles at NEAF and NEAIC nor is there any required paperwork at the door.  Rumors of this are simply false and should be whole heartily ignored. 

As always, we hope you will enjoy your visit to NEAF and NEAIC and we look forward to seeing you.

Bob,

Thanks for sending correct, factual information to all of us.  And thanks also for all the work that you and your colleagues do in the background which some time may go unnoticed. I am looking forward to attend my first NEIAC and my third NEAF in just a few days!

Albert

#12 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

I just had a discussion with HighPoint that included the issue of Sales Tax at NEAF - and was told the following - of course this applies to HighPoint only (as far as I know):

If you purchase an item from them at NEAF - you will be charged NY Sales Tax. If you order an item NOW for pick-up at NEAF - you will be charged NY Sales Tax.

If you ORDER an item at NEAF to be shipped to your home state after the show - you will NOT be charged Sales Tax -- Unless -- you live in New Jersey (in which case you will be charged NJ Sales Tax).

Confused???  tongue2.gif

#13 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

Wanna be more confused?

Some vendors advertise "No Tax." when in fact, they are eating the tax and including it in their sales price. 

And, in many states, (mine in particular), if you buy an item in a different state for use in this one, you pay what is called a "use tax" which is the equivalent of the sales tax.

Alex

#14 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

Wanna be more confused?

Some vendors advertise "No Tax." when in fact, they are eating the tax and including it in their sales price. 

And, in many states, (mine in particular), if you buy an item in a different state for use in this one, you pay what is called a "use tax" which is the equivalent of the sales tax.

Alex

Maybe a little off "NEAF" discussion - but sales tax and astro are certainly remotely "NEAF related" -- and since NEAF is in New York ---

New York has a veiled threat to get residents to pay sales tax on stuff ordered on-line:

On the Income Tax Return form - there is a line to enter the amount of **everything** you purchased over the last year on-line that you did not pay sales tax on - and to calculate the sales tax you *should* have paid - and the owed sales tax must be added to your Income Tax due..... the Form specifically cautions to NOT leave the line blank - if the amount purchased was zero, you have to enter zero --  they will not accept your Return as valid if the sales tax line is blank!!!

So what? No Return and you are charged with Tax Evasion. Enter a false number in the "on-line purchases" and "sales tax due" lines and -- you have committed tax fraud - if you mail the form - mail fraud - submit it on line - wire fraud (Fed crimes). So far.... the State has only used this to go after people ordering on-line large quantities of tobacco products without paying the tax.

Edited by George N, 02 April 2019 - 07:38 PM.

• GlobularLover likes this

#15 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Just returned.  At least two vendors when asked "what's your best CASH price" told me --- "that's the price marked is the price and we will eat the sales tax".  I made ZERO purchases there. 

Made several purchases at the prices marked - paid cash - none of the vendors charged me tax or even mentioned ST.

Looked at a couple other items and when I said I would pay CASH was told "well, in that case, I can do a little better"...however the cash price wasn't all that much less - like 3%-5%.  My guess is that was what they would have paid the bank (commission) for a credit card sale.

There was at least ONE very reputable vendor there and on a "pricing sign" there was a yellow sticker that said (PLUS SALES TAX).

Another reputable vendor had a sign "CASH ONLY".

So it seems to me there is little consistency between vendors.

One thing that I did notice that was somewhat consistent was that several vendors had signs "10% OFF our regular prices"....most items!!! 

No big deal to me that things seemed to vary booth to booth - you're the one making the final buying decision - so you're still in control.

M11Mike

PS: Crowd (to me) seemed up - vendor count down.  A couple of vendors who were "supposed" to be there - were not.  When I asked the SHOW VENDOR table people - "where is "X", "Y" and "Z" I was told "canceled at the last minute" or simply "never applied for a booth this year".  Note however - there were several new vendor booths this year.    

#16 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

One prominent vendor told me last week they were not coming....too busy this time of year to drop everything and go.

#17 JimB1

JimB1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Central NJ

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

Seemed like the biggest deals that you could haggle on were in used gear.

I did see a few people able to haggle a little on new stuff if they were paying cash but generally most places were 10% off their regular prices and that was pretty much it. 

There were some things that were actually marked higher then Internet regular prices so... caveat emptor.

-Jim

• Augustus likes this

#18 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Bear in mind that if a vendor gave you 10% off, took a credit card, and didn't charge tax, they were probably selling at or near their cost.

People OUTSIDE the industry always overestimate the profit margins.

We'd see higher margins and better sale prices if the nationwide industry were, say, 250 billion dollars, but it's only a very tiny fraction of that.

• Alan French, George N, psandelle and 1 other like this

#19 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

Bear in mind that if a vendor gave you 10% off, took a credit card, and didn't charge tax, they were probably selling at or near their cost.

People OUTSIDE the industry always overestimate the profit margins.

We'd see higher margins and better sale prices if the nationwide industry were, say, 250 billion dollars, but it's only a very tiny fraction of that.

When I'm dictator, it will be.  Also, every place will have at least Bortle 3 skies by fiat!tongue2.gif

• psandelle likes this

#20 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:14 PM

Sounds OK!

LA had a complete blackout after the earthquake of January 1994.  It was the first time I saw the Milky Way bright and detailed

here in LA, along with thousands of stars.

I almost got my scope to do some observing, but I had other things on my mind.grin.gif

• psandelle and Brianfromsyr like this

#21 GlobularLover

GlobularLover

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:32 PM

On the Income Tax Return form - there is a line to enter the amount of **everything** you purchased over the last year on-line that you did not pay sales tax on - and to calculate the sales tax you *should* have paid - and the owed sales tax must be added to your Income Tax due..... the Form specifically cautions to NOT leave the line blank - if the amount purchased was zero, you have to enter zero --  they will not accept your Return as valid if the sales tax line is blank!!!  So what? No Return and you are charged with Tax Evasion. Enter a false number in the "on-line purchases" and "sales tax due" lines and -- you have committed tax fraud - if you mail the form - mail fraud - submit it on line - wire fraud (Fed crimes). So far.... the State has only used this to go after people ordering on-line large quantities of tobacco products without paying the tax.

I eagerly await the state tax authorities going after NY residents buying gasoline in NJ and not paying the difference to NY State tax authorities.  Or all the mom's buying tax-free clothing in NJ. lol.gif

#22 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:22 PM

Sounds OK!

LA had a complete blackout after the earthquake of January 1994.  It was the first time I saw the Milky Way bright and detailed

here in LA, along with thousands of stars.

I almost got my scope to do some observing, but I had other things on my mind.grin.gif

The last time there was a power outage in my area -- it was full moon -- nice clear and warm summer night, but full moon!  tongue2.gif 

#23 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

I eagerly await the state tax authorities going after NY residents buying gasoline in NJ and not paying the difference to NY State tax authorities.  Or all the mom's buying tax-free clothing in NJ. lol.gif

They do **exactly that** to commercial truckers. They have to submit a tax payment for fuel purchased out of state but burned on NYS roads. While independents likely ignore it - the big trucking firms can't.

As for "moms buying tax-free cloths in NJ" - the "moms" should consider the consequences of putting a knowingly-wrong figure on their Income Tax Return - Tax Fraud, Wire Fraud, Mail Fraud, Racketeering are all serious felonies..... The state does have the software to track it. They made the change on the Income Tax Form a few years ago requiring a figure of some sort be entered on the not paid sales tax line -- because -- NYS is getting really serious about collecting Sales Tax, and this gives them major leverage.

And if you bought something at NEAF -- the sales tax got paid..... or the vendor is playing a dangerous game. I've had one friend in the model railroad hobby have NYS take his bank account balances and threaten to take his home over non-payment of sales tax on stuff he was selling out of his home.

#24 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

NY is losing population, partly because of taxes.

• George N and JNDiller like this

#25 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

NY's population is close to the same as it was in 2008 and hasn't changed since then.

Since the US as a whole grew during that period, NY's % of the US population has shrunk.

But there is no evidence people are leaving NY.  NY has millions more people now than it did in 1960.

CA, another state people say is losing population, has grown every year, but moderately since 2001, but it stands in the same place as NY--with a smaller % of the overall

US population than it did in 2000.

Both states will likely lose a representative after the 2020 census.

In general, people have moved south for the weather.  That'll reverse when the south becomes too hot to live in after another generation.

As for taxes, NY has a high tax rate maximum (8.82% on the highest incomes), but CA has the highest (13.3% for millionaires), and among the highest

sales tax (much of LA county is now at 10.25-10.5%), but significantly lower property taxes than 34 other states.

Sorry for the segue, but the statistics are on-line.

• Phil Cowell and NYSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics