•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neaf

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

NY's population is close to the same as it was in 2008 and hasn't changed since then.

Since the US as a whole grew during that period, NY's % of the US population has shrunk.

But there is no evidence people are leaving NY.  NY has millions more people now than it did in 1960...…..

The population in New York is shifting - from Upstate to the City and environs. Many Upstate Counties have lost actual numbers since 2000.

Partly it is 'tax' and partly it's 'snow' (like in 10 feet in Syracuse most winters) -- but more it's the loss of the old 'giants' - IBM, GE, Kodak, Link, Endicott & Johnson, etc. The economy tanked. Young people want to live in the cities. And that is despite the Army moving an entire Division into Ft. Drum. However, the USAF closed several big bases.

On the flip side - fewer people = less light pollution and a massive return of forests and related critters.

#27 Brianfromsyr

Brianfromsyr

Mariner 2

• Loc: Syracuse, New York

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

I live in Syracuse.
I can say that business can't seem to thrive here.
Restaurants come and go.
It also is listed as the highest poverty for african americans .
Back in the mid 90s I could get hired in 10 minutes.
In 2013 it took me 210 applications , 5 interviews and eleven months time.

Edited by Brianfromsyr, 20 April 2019 - 06:52 AM.

• Stevegeo likes this

#28 Brianfromsyr

Brianfromsyr

Mariner 2

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

Newest data does show population decreases.
https://cnycentral.c...line-04-18-2019
  • JNDiller likes this

#29 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

Not a statistically significant population drop:

https://www.statista...on-in-new-york/

Still the US population increased during that time, so NY's trend follows that of other northern states in losing some population.

And in NY, NYC grew while the upstate part shrank.

Overall, the US population is moving to milder climates.

It's why CA, TX and FL are now the top 3.

• Phil Cowell likes this

#30 pao

pao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

Well, if you think taxes are high in America, you should go to Europe. Only there you will understand what term “tax” means...

Pao

• Phil Cowell and JNDiller like this

#31 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

The population in New York is shifting - from Upstate to the City and environs. Many Upstate Counties have lost actual numbers since 2000.

Partly it is 'tax' and partly it's 'snow' (like in 10 feet in Syracuse most winters) -- but more it's the loss of the old 'giants' - IBM, GE, Kodak, Link, Endicott & Johnson, etc. The economy tanked. Young people want to live in the cities. And that is despite the Army moving an entire Division into Ft. Drum. However, the USAF closed several big bases.

On the flip side - fewer people = less light pollution and a massive return of forests and related critters.

Many are moving into the cheap land left by those who bail. With the Internet a lot of jobs can be worked remote.

The statistical primary age group leaving are the older population due to the draw of weather further south.

• Stevegeo likes this

#32 Brianfromsyr

Brianfromsyr

Mariner 2

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:25 AM

20 years ago I could walk through any store and stop and talk to multiple groups of friends.
I went and travelled seasonally for work for 8 years (worked another 5 years before that)until 2011.
When I came back I might see 1 person that I know here and there ever 4th or 5th trip.
Its common to see around 15 For Sale signs on my street at any given time.
Our Maker clubs are closing because there are no attendees.

Edited by Brianfromsyr, 23 April 2019 - 05:27 AM.

• Stevegeo likes this

#33 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:52 AM

i was told by my fellow WAA members 

that my name was called for a door

prize on Sunday 

i never heard or received any information is there a 

contact for rockland AA?

#34 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

20 years ago I could walk through any store and stop and talk to multiple groups of friends.
I went and travelled seasonally for work for 8 years (worked another 5 years before that)until 2011.
When I came back I might see 1 person that I know here and there ever 4th or 5th trip.
Its common to see around 15 For Sale signs on my street at any given time.
Our Maker clubs are closing because there are no attendees.

Hopefully this will translate into less Light Pollution and a more robust natural environment for those of us who remain in Central NY..... I'm looking forward to darker skies and more forest critters.....  cool.gif 

Some of the local TV News Programs in NY's Southern Tier area have recently featured "bears and the backyard" segments. Really?? Bears in the woods in NY???? I love 'city folks think'..... wink.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics