•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturation magnitude calculator

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:02 PM

Is there an online calculator that can estimate the saturation magnitude of a specific Imaging system, e.g. telescope, focal ratio, sensor QE, and exposure time? I can only find limiting magnitude calculators.

#2 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:08 AM

Is there an online calculator that can estimate the saturation magnitude of a specific Imaging system, e.g. telescope, focal ratio, sensor QE, and exposure time? I can only find limiting magnitude calculators.

It will depend critically on how big the star spots are in the image - and even what kind of profile they have.  If the fwhm is cut in half the peak pixel could go up by a factor of four or even more if it has a tighter overall shape.

You should be able to calculate the total count of electrons generated by a star of a given magnitude in a given time - but then you need to see how those electrons are spread across the pixels.  And that would be hard to do.

I would just look at stars in your own images with a given sensor and see if you can estimate how they would behave with a different system - if they are about the same size and shape.

And if you are imaging and you see stars saturating - which may or may not be ok depending on what you are doing - you can shorten exposure, change gain - etc.

Frank

• roofkid likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics