•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

VMC95: a cheap and easy to use "astrograph" for not so large objects

astrophotography equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:40 AM

The Vixen VMC95L is a flat-field modified Cassegrain, sold by Vixen; it is a sort of scaled down, low end version of their VMCs (20 and 26cm), which are designed as long-focus astrograph.

At 30cm long, 2kg heavy, the VMC95 can ride any light mount; the built-in flip mirror is a great help if the VMC is used with non-goto mounts (or with mounts whose goto capabilities are not much reliable), but also with goto mounts to adjust the frame; and while it focuses by sliding the primary mirror, my sample is totally free from mirror shift, which is noteworthy in a such low end product.

Unlike most other 3.5-4" CATs, the VMC95 features a rather large image circle, as can be seen by this master flat I took on an aps-c sized sensor

gallery_215679_10941_353191.jpg

The field of view is rather flat, but not well corrected for coma; also, instead of the spikes there are fan-shaped "mists" which are in my opinion much worse to behold:

gallery_215679_10941_1997492.jpg

Probably even a skilled photograher will have a very hard time to get APOD-level pictures with the VMC, but for those in tight budget, with small mounts and simpler cameras (APS-c or smaller sensor) at 220€ it may be a decent option to take "instagram-level" pictures of galaxies and clusters

gallery_215679_10941_369411.jpg

#2 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

That's some nice resolution for a little 4" scope !

#3 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

My girlfriend had one of these and I used it. While you're right about the image shift, collimation was impossible and it had about 1/2 wave of spherical aberration. I gave her a 4" Orion Mak with a chipped primary which far outperforms it.

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

It was likely a defective sample or, if second-hand, had been badly abused by the previous owner/s (maybe they did something to the secondary assembly).

I would never purchase a second-hand VMC95 or 110 without the possibility to star test it because think its design is both more complex and less "safe" than spot Maksutovs'; however I have came to the conclusion that the VMC95 is superior to low-end 3.5" or 4" MCTs because of noticeably better low-power performances, far better photographic capabilities and very close high power performances.

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics