•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What was I seeing last night/this morning?

observing
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kyle528

kyle528

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

So last night I set up all my AP gear and got it going and it was a very clear calm night so I got my little reflector out and was tinkering around with it, I’ve not been observing very long, and it’s an old hand me down scope so long story short I got frustrated and took a break for a while and just sat in a chair. It wasn’t long at all before I was noticing meteor after meteor zipping across the sky. Here’s where the question comes in. A few times, I noticed something moving, fairly dim, and slower than most meteors, and much faster than any plane I’ve watched. It would stay dim and then in the space of about 2 or 3 seconds, gradually become brighter, flash very bright for a split second (brighter than Venus) then gradually dim until I could no longer follow it. At first I though maybe a large satellite? Then I thought are satellites naked eye objects, and why the flash? It should be noted that I am not an experienced observer, so this may be painfully obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

My first thought - UFO smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#3 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

Sounds like an Iridium satellite. They "flare" when their solar panels are at the right angle to reflect sunlight at the observer. 

• Spikey131 likes this

#4 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:01 AM

Sound exactly like experiences I have had several times. It's a satellite. 

Chris

#5 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

As earlyriser said, it sounds like an Iridium satellite.  You can use Heavens Above, a satellite identification/prediction site to confirm any suspected satellite.
On a separate note, I was just reading last night that the Iridium flares will be coming to an end as the group of satellites are now beginning to reenter the atmosphere; one by one......

• bob kelly likes this

#6 jaraxx

jaraxx

Mariner 2

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

I have had the experience and been told it's a satellite. Personally, and based on some old info from the USAF,  I think it's swamp gas...

• Dynan likes this

#7 sg6

sg6

Aurora

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

Satellite, they are generally non-flashing but some do. A couple of sites list them but often they only list the bright ones. Probably impossible to catalogue everything that might flash, especially as the flash is often dependant on where the observer is at the time.

There is at this time also the geostationary satellites, normally they are not really apparent but at this time of year they can be visible. This is becasue of the earths tilt which at the equinox puts Sun-Earth-Geostationaries in a line. So at this time you can see reflections off of some of those, they would appear to move a bit strange as they would move against the sky but not with reference to a building or tree.

Problem is there are lot of satellites of one variety or another up there.

http://www.stuffin.space/

We are in the middle of the central ball, zoom out to get a better idea of everything.

#8 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:14 AM

Its an iridium satellite also known as an "iridium flare" which are predicted for your location on heavens-above.com.

https://www.heavens-...ed&alt=0&tz=UCT

#9 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Gemini

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

Most likely it was a satellite. An Iridium satellite is usually cited as the "culprit", but many other satellites can also brighten and/or produce a "flash". Iridium satellites are in polar orbits ... north - south, south - north directions. If your object traveled in this this direction, then the likelihood of it being an Iridium is greatly increased. Any other direction would mean it's most likely some other satellite.

A more detailed description of this sighting .... location, time, path direction, nearby bright stars or constellation transits ... would help to pin-down its identity.

#10 MikeHC8

MikeHC8

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

At about 430 approximately I was looking above at my zenith and also seen object moving slowly across the sky going from south to north.  It stayed at a steady brightness then just got dimmer and then gone.  I would estimate about from the time I spotted it, the travel was 40 degrees and it was gone.  Seeing was clear no clouds, city lights.  Location San Diego

Edited by MikeHC8, 17 March 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#11 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

Its an iridium satellite also known as an "iridium flare" which are predicted for your location on heavens-above.com.

https://www.heavens-...ed&alt=0&tz=UCT

I think SkySafari can be set up to generate Iridium flare alerts as well. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics