•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any good eyepiece calculator apps that would work in the iOS Numbers app?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Hi all, like most everyone else I have that ultra helpful excel eyepiece calculator spreadsheet that I use constantly on my PC to help me decide what eyepiece designs and focal lengths to buy.  I’d really like to find something something similar that I can use on my iPad though.  There is one app listed in the App Store but it’s quite outdated and won’t work with iOS 11 or greater and I’m well past iOS 12+ now.  

Anyone know of such a thing that will work with a current version of iOS and the built in Numbers app? Thanks! 

#2 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Use Google Sheets. This is a free spreadsheet that works in Chrome.  Will open Excel spreadsheets with most formulas preserved.   Likely it will open yours.  

Google Docs, sheets and slides is all my daughter uses as a teacher.  She has abandoned all of the Microsoft programs.  I use them from time to time myself. 

Give it a try.  I assume Chrome works on your tablet.  Google has a whole bunch of apps built around Chrome. 

• Mr. Mike and John Rogers like this

#3 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Hmm. I’m on iPad usually 95% of the time but just use this calculator online - http://www.stargazin...a/scopemath.htm

are you talking about some different calculations than this provides?

• Mr. Mike likes this

#4 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Use Google Sheets. This is a free spreadsheet that works in Chrome.  Will open Excel spreadsheets with most formulas preserved.   Likely it will open yours.  

Google Docs, sheets and slides is all my daughter uses as a teacher.  She has abandoned all of the Microsoft programs.  I use them from time to time myself. 

Give it a try.  I assume Chrome works on your tablet.  Google has a whole bunch of apps built around Chrome. 

Yep, there is a chrome browser for the iPad.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

Hmm. I’m on iPad usually 95% of the time but just use this calculator online - http://www.stargazin...a/scopemath.htm

are you talking about some different calculations than this provides?

Actually that link should work too....thanks! Guess I really don’t need an actual app or a spreadsheet. 

#5 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 02:20 PM

And here's the one I use, and it gives you a view. Maybe VDN's also provides a view, useful tools to have. And thanks for the Google Sheets mention, I often need to be reminded of the good stuff that's available.

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

#6 ascii

ascii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 PM

Hi all, like most everyone else I have that ultra helpful excel eyepiece calculator spreadsheet that I use constantly on my PC to help me decide what eyepiece designs and focal lengths to buy.  I’d really like to find something something similar that I can use on my iPad though.  There is one app listed in the App Store but it’s quite outdated and won’t work with iOS 11 or greater and I’m well past iOS 12+ now.  

Anyone know of such a thing that will work with a current version of iOS and the built in Numbers app? Thanks! 

Have you tried opening the Excel spreadsheet in Numbers?  It usually does a decent job of translating spreadsheets.  Once it is open, you can save it as a Numbers spreadsheet.

• Mr. Mike and aeajr like this

#7 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Have you tried opening the Excel spreadsheet in Numbers?  It usually does a decent job of translating spreadsheets.  Once it is open, you can save it as a Numbers spreadsheet.

Ya know, I havent.  Cant hurt....thanks!  Duh on me! doah.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics