•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Local Classified find, a Celestron Pacific Celestron 8!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

My lovely Assistant Astronomy found this one for me.

Celestron Pacific Celetron 8.

This must be a very early scope.   The effective focal length, rather than being stated in millimeters, is stated as "80 in."

From 1975 I think? 

The tripod was trash (had been left outside for maybe a couple of decades) but the OTA is actually in nice condition.   The optics appear to be clouded up, and maybe the coatings have tarnished.  I don't know.   I will take the corrector off today and clean it up.

It is such a handsome little telescope though.. I remember admiring the Celetsron ads in the back of the astronomy magazine long ago.  They just seemed so "Modern". 

Just thought I would share.

Celestron Pacific Celestron 8.jpg

Celestron 8 sticker.jpg

Edited by Eddgie, 17 March 2019 - 10:01 AM.

• RNSpeed, Starman27, siriusandthepup and 8 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

Wow, same year and model as my first C8.  Bought it new for $800 in 1975 from Optics b/c in Oakland, CA.  

I guess that would be a lot more money today !  Love those sand cast forks with the holes through.

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:55 AM

Sweet!  I still have and use mine regularly.  I did have mine recoated by Celestron back around 2002 with Starbright since I had some areas of coating loss on the edge of the primary and the optics are really well corrected.

Dave

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

Congrats Eddgie. Hope the cleaning will be a succes!

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

Thanks all.

Cleaning was a total success.   The corrector was very difficult to remove.  I had to use a combination of pressure inside the tube, (and I know this will sound crude, but if done carefully can work well) a plunger on the corrector, and a lot of heat on the cell.  The foam gasket had kind of stuck to the corrector, but when I applied heat, the corrector did pop free without doing any damage to the foam gasket. 

I also pulled the primary.  

All surfaces had some buildup on them but a good soaking to loosen it and careful cleaning with my fingers got it all off.  Coatings look excellent (though I would guess they have lost some reflective by now). 

Celestron 8 after cleaning.jpg

The seller did not have a power cord.  I am not sure what to do about that because it is an odd plug.

I doubt that I will keep it (I am not into vintage stuff anymore) but It was a good price and worst case, I can probably make a little money turning it around. 

Edited by Eddgie, 17 March 2019 - 11:57 AM.

• Traveler and bbqediguana like this

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

Also some notes.

First, there was zero sign of grease on the baffle.  Zero.   Was it common practice that they did not grease them back then?  Perhaps the tolerances were a bit better.  I don't know.  The fit though was excellent.  I could detect no play at all, but of course I will have to use it under the stars to see if there is any shift.  I did not apply grease.  It had none when I opened it, and if it was shipped that way, that is they way I wanted it to stay.

The focuser is quite a bit different than later models.  It seemed to have more machined parts and very fine threads on the focuser rod.  Finer than I remember on my last C8, though my memory on this might be poor.  There was sign of lubricant here, so I did apply a super light coat of superlube.

The original diagonal is kind of simple, but it was included, but no eyepieces.  I did clean the diagonal, and if I sell it of course I will include it.  

It is a lovely little telescope. 

I may try to re-rehabilitate the tripod.  The legs are super-rusty, so I would have to find new tubing, but I will check with my metal supply.

It would be fun to get it back as close as possible to original, but again, I am not that into vintage stuff anymore.  With some work to the tripod though, it could be a very fun scope, though again, I would almost for sure sell it.

Most likely though, I will just sell the scope and wedge as it is now though. 

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Nice work!

#8 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Soyuz

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:54 PM

Congratulations on the find and great job cleaning it up.

#9 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

Keep an eye on the classifieds for the C8 plug.

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

The older tripods pop up a few times a year so maybe just buy one when they pop up.

#11 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

The older tripods pop up a few times a year so maybe just buy one when they pop up.

Yeah, I saw one that sold a while back.

The problem with tripods is that shipping is very expensive.   I am going to go to my local metal supply this week and see if they stock a tube that would work.   Long shot, but I think worth doing.

#12 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

Needs grease.  While the baffle was dry with not a hint of any kind of lubricant when I took it apart, having put it back together and used it, I feel pretty sure that it could benefit from some Dow grease.   I could kind of feel the mirror carrier somewhat binding on the baffle.  Not much, but when I reversed directions, as I started to reverse, I could feel some extra pressure, and then it would relax.

I have some Dow Corning grease on the way and will lube it.

Also, the minute dew formed on the corrector, I could see something that looked like snail tracks on the back side.  I suspect that I did not get all of the soap film off.  Oh well, when I pull the corrector to re-grease it, I will re-rinse the corrector and flush with alcohol and distilled water.

Also, I have decided to simply paint the rusted tripod legs black.  I could not get them out of the end brackets.  I tried heating with a torch (maybe not long enough) but could not get them to budge.   I see no sign of any kind of grub screws in the end castings holding the tubes in place, so they must have either been heat fitted, or assembled with some kind of adhesive (though this was uncommon in 1975, but someone had to start to use adhesives at some point, and this may be an early case where it was used).

#13 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Soyuz

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:52 AM

You going to use Dow Vacuum grease?  It doesn't outgass.

#14 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:45 AM

For a cord, just buy a Cinch Jones 302 cord mount socket off eBay and get a two wire lamp cord replacement from the local hardware store.

It only takes a few minutes and two solder connections and polarity doesn’t matter for the AC motors.  I am really ham handed with a soldering iron but had no problems making cords for my vintage Celestrons.  The Cinch Jones were discontinued a while back so best to get one now, the price has been going up.They used to be $1.49 each from Mouser when in production.

Dave

#15 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

Coolness! I love mine. I'm not a collector of olde scopes, but I feel so fortunate to be able to finally own some of the scopes that I could only dream about in my younger years and it is so much fun getting them out under the stars where they belong. One thing that love about these scopes is that they were designed for manual operation. Everything is easy to reach and exactly where your hands expect to find them in the dark. These make fantastic star-hopping scopes.

My baby...

Sandcast C8 Setup (3-23-2018)-1.jpg

• Starman27, stevew and Tacosauce like this

#16 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

I always loved the look of the classic orange tube C8.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics