•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Making counterweights

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter
  • Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Who has made their own counterweights?  Purchased CWs are expensive to buy and ship.  How did you go about it? Materials?  How did it work?

I recently made one using 4" sch 40 PVC fittings, pipe caps, and 1.25" ID aluminum tubing.  It is filled with lead sinkers and steel BB shot.  injected with "Rock Hard" putty to prevent rattling and lock everything together.  PVC is double walled and tapped where bolt goes through, plus there is a wing nut anchored inside.  It weighs 14.75 pounds and cost me about $40 for everything.  Works very well.  Painted with a primer, then with Rustoleum "hammer finish" paint.  I put a nylon tip on the securing bolt to prevent CW shaft marring.

I posted this on "what did you work on today" week before last, but wanted to follow up with a thread of its own.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190307_153836.jpg

Edited by John Fitzgerald, Yesterday, 10:10 AM.

• Pinbout likes this

#2 Mark326

Mark326

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Here is mine, design based on a DIY CW thread found here on CN.  Total cost <$20, works well.  Reconfigurable in 2.5lb increments based on currently mounted equipment.

Counter weight project 2
Mount CW project

• b.bill.p likes this

#3 b.bill.p

b.bill.p

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange Co, California. USA

Posted Yesterday, 11:09 AM

I found my Dad’s weight lifting gear and used a couple of the iron weights.  First I cleaned up the center hole, steel brushed the layer of rust off the surface then sprayed it with 5 coats of gray wrinkle finish cabinet paint.  It looks fantastic.  Then I 3D printed some tapered retainer collars to snug the weight up on the balance bar.   Cost, $4.00 for the paint.

#4 mark77

mark77

Messenger

• Loc: PA

Posted Yesterday, 12:31 PM

I have made several using round steel  slugs I purchased from ebay and then finishing them in a lathe. Steel is available on ebay in all different diameters and lengths.  Sometimes even with the right hole diameter.

#5 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted Today, 03:08 AM

I recently made 3 for my AP900GTO mount. Used 316 stainless steel billets. Bored and finished them on the lathe. I epoxied a brass sleeve on the larger one (14lbs) to avoid marring the counterweight shaft (1.875”). Drilled and tapped holes for hex brass tipped screws to mount them on the shaft also. It took me a week to finish these working at night after work. These were my first counterweights. I have made a number of adaptors/couplers on the lathe but never something as large/heavy.
Materials were not cheap but either buying them locally or importing them (I’m in the UK) would have been prohibitively expensive.
Will try and post some pictures later.
Roberto

#6 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted Today, 03:19 AM

Here they are mounted. The middle one is an original!

Attached Thumbnails

• BF1F1CB8-20BA-4191-B321-7649E83FD41E.jpeg

• Kunama likes this

#7 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Garran, Australia

Posted Today, 04:18 AM

I made a counterweight today for my secondary mirror ....... 56mm diameter, 600gram brass c/w with 3/8" UNC threaded hole and stainless locknut holding it in place...

(the wide-angle lens makes it look much bigger than it really is)

The secondary is a 4" 1/12th wave on a thick substrate and in an Astrosystems holder so it exerts quite a bit of torque below 45º elevations.

Though this torque previously only moved the laser spot a tiny amount, the installation of the counterweight on the other end of the threaded rod has nulled that movement.

(The counterweight is also needed as I have decided against the installation of an optical finderscope for which I made a 500gram allowance in the build)

(NB. The final coat of flat black is yet to be applied ! )

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190318_135947 (1).jpg
  • MIS_7040.jpg

Edited by Kunama, Today, 04:21 AM.

• R Botero likes this

#8 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Garran, Australia

Posted Today, 05:14 AM

I recently made 3 for my AP900GTO mount. Used 316 stainless steel billets. Bored and finished them on the lathe. I epoxied a brass sleeve on the larger one (14lbs) to avoid marring the counterweight shaft (1.875”). Drilled and tapped holes for hex brass tipped screws to mount them on the shaft also. It took me a week to finish these working at night after work. These were my first counterweights. I have made a number of adaptors/couplers on the lathe but never something as large/heavy.
Materials were not cheap but either buying them locally or importing them (I’m in the UK) would have been prohibitively expensive.
Will try and post some pictures later.
Roberto

Great work Rob, I think my lathe would start to cry if I locked a 304 or 316 billet into its chuck bawling.gif bawling.gif bawling.gif

Edited by Kunama, Today, 05:15 AM.

#9 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted Today, 05:45 AM

Great work Rob, I think my lathe would start to cry if I locked a 304 or 316 billet into its chuck bawling.gif bawling.gif bawling.gif

LOL...not the lathe crying but me after the third one was made! Boring them was not that difficult but threading the holes for the locking screws was the most difficult bit as I had to hold the counterweights perpendicularly to their main axis in the (4-jaw) chuck ...since I don’t have a milling machine!!!

Roberto

Edited by R Botero, Today, 05:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics