•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Active cooling needed for C11 stored outside?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adamsdp

adamsdp

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:37 AM

I live in Michigan and store my CPC 1100 outdoors in a shed and wondering if active cooling would be helpful?  The scope should be near ambient temperature at the start of observing.  Will a C11 typically be able to keep up with falling temperature enough so it doesn't impact image quality in the climate I live in?  My understanding is that the lymax cooling fan will help with initial temperature equilibrium while a system of vented fans moving air in and out of the ota while observing will help with the scope keeping up with falling temperatures as well as initial cooling.  I don't think I am up for cutting up the ota and installing fans so wondering if the lymax cooling fan could be worthwhile or if there are other solutions?  Thanks!

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

In the Spring and Fall my SCT's have troubles with the drastic temperature change/drops that can and do occur.

That being said I really only notice it when viewing Planets and Luna.

I had TEMP-est fans in an 8" EdgeHD which worked wonderfully but there were a few outings were even they had trouble keeping

up with the temperature delta.

#3 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted Yesterday, 12:14 PM

The temperature inside my shed in the spring and summer is 20 to25 deg f warmer than ambient temperature. I have concerns about the grease used to lubricate the baffle tube, tuning at those temperatures. My scopes are stored in an unheated garage under my house. 

#4 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

With an SCT I prefer to slow the cooling of the OTA with a Reflectix wrap and dew shield.  This reduces or eliminates internal tube currents and has the added benefit of reducing dew formation.  As long as the scope is above dew point, your optics will tend to stay dry.  A better solution than active cooling fans IMO.

https://www.amazon.c...441690764&psc=1

Edited by Cajundaddy, Yesterday, 12:53 PM.

• Bean614 likes this

#5 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Hello Dave, 

I live in Michigan and store my CPC 1100 outdoors in a shed and wondering if active cooling would be helpful?  The scope should be near ambient temperature at the start of observing.  Will a C11 typically be able to keep up with falling temperature enough so it doesn't impact image quality in the climate I live in?  My understanding is that the lymax cooling fan will help with initial temperature equilibrium while a system of vented fans moving air in and out of the ota while observing will help with the scope keeping up with falling temperatures as well as initial cooling.  I don't think I am up for cutting up the ota and installing fans so wondering if the lymax cooling fan could be worthwhile or if there are other solutions?  Thanks!

Helpful is relative., 

You didn't mention state whether your shed is heated or not, but the fact that your OTA is stored outdoors is already better preparation that if it were to be stored indoors in your (presumably heated?) home. 

That said - how well your OTA track ambient is largely driven by: -

• How fast your local temperature falls are on average 
  • How long the (fast) temperature drops continue during your session 
  • The size of your OTA 

Because the first two will change over the course of an season, its best to simply see what your experiences with your current storage arrangements before considering any modifications to your OTA. My own experiences with the SCTs I own is that over the course of a night, there certainly are periods where the temperature keeps falling (fast) all night for (what seems like) all night. On the other hand, there will be other periods when you start noticing that more and more, at some point, the rate of temperature change plateaus, and for 2 - 3 hours, your scope will really start showing what its made of.., 

These are the moments us visual only observers dream of! lol.gif  

Hope this helps.., 

Best.,

skybsd

#6 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted Yesterday, 08:00 PM

In the Summer you'll need active cooling to keep it tracking with temps as the night goes on and likely to get it to temp when starting.  Lots of thermal mass in that 11". Search on how to identify a thermal plume so that you know it when you see it.  A problem with Lymax is that you can't observe when it's installed.

#7 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted Yesterday, 08:01 PM

I second Cajundaddy's insulation suggestion.  My C11 is outside, on my deck, 365 days per year.  It is wrapped in insulation, and when not in use, is under a Telegizmos 365 cover.  Temps DO drop fast here in New England in Fall, Winter, and Spring, and the insulation slows the cooling to a minimum, eliminating currents.  It's good to go the minute I remove the cover.

#8 adamsdp

adamsdp

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies and information!  I never heard of wrapping the ota in insulation and sounds like a great idea.  I will buy some and try it out.  Do you wrap the ota only or the ota and dew shield in the insulation?

Good point about seeing how the scope performs over the different seasons.  The shed the scope is stored in is unheated so hopefully this will help the situation.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics