•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hex screws for Losmandy style plate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sarasota, Fl

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

Hello, where can i buy hex screws for a losmandy style plate? I have a few rings for my scope and guide, etc but some of the screws are not hex and stick out.. where can i purchased them?  PS: i don't know what size the ST80 rings are, etc. Thanks. 

#2 bridgman

bridgman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

The magic words to search for are "socket head cap screws". Once I figured that out things got a lot easier. I bought mine online from amazon.ca.

I believe most ST80 rings these days are M6x1mm, which AFAIK is the most common M6 thread (so if it just says M6 you're probably OK). I bought screws with 20mm of thread which was OK for my Vixen plate but turned out to be a bit too long for my Losmandy plate - recommend something like 16mm instead.

Edited by bridgman, 17 March 2019 - 11:29 AM.

#3 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

HI...I can't tell from profile where you live, but try to find an old-fashioned hardware store (Ace, etc) that has bins of bolts, nuts, screws, metric, etc. We have one here in Fairbanks, and I am there all the time matching up bolts and attachment devices for my astro projects.  They should have socket head cap bolts for you, in a range of sizes and threading. 

Good luck with your project!

Mike

Edited by msl615, 17 March 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#4 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

The magic words to search for are "socket head cap screws". Once I figured that out things got a lot easier and even walmart had them smile.gif

I believe most ST80 rings these days are M6x1mm, which AFAIK is the most common M6 thread (so if it just says M6 you're probably OK). I bought screws with 20mm of thread which was OK for my Vixen plate but turned out to be a bit too long for my Losmandy plate - recommend something like 16mm instead.

Wow!! Thank you so much for this.. i just did a search for "socket head cap screws" and lo' and behold, thousands showed up! Should be a sticky for newbies... :)  

#5 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

HI...I can't tell from profile where you live, but try to find an old-fashioned hardware store (Ace, etc) that has bins of bolts, nuts, screws, metric, etc. We have one here in Fairbanks, and I am there all the time matching up bolts and attachment devices for my astro projects.  They should have socket head cap bolts for you, in a range of sizes and threading. 

Good luck with your project!

Mike

Thank you! I'm in Florida. :)

#6 bridgman

bridgman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Wow!! Thank you so much for this.. i just did a search for "socket head cap screws" and lo' and behold, thousands showed up! Should be a sticky for newbies... smile.gif  

Oh good. Mike's recommendation about ACE is a great one as well... there aren't any around here that I know of but when I'm travelling in the US I usually stop into one... I invariably leave some important fastener at home and they are have a really good selection.

You might want to confirm the thread in your scope rings with a 5 cent bolt from local store before buying a bunch of the cap screws.

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:58 PM

I once read a history of the hardware store.....yes, such a book exists. (or existed)

Ace, Sentry, and you r local mom and pop stay in business by providing things the big hardware stores don't, or at least not conveniently. Take whatever need a fastener for to them, and they will fit you out.

In the case of Astro equipment, you can either get plain or stainless. Get stainless......both work fine, and in practice, you may never note a difference. But Stainless look nicer. Cost more, but at the price of nuts and bolts it is insignificant. 

Alex

#8 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

I once read a history of the hardware store.....yes, such a book exists. (or existed)

Ace, Sentry, and you r local mom and pop stay in business by providing things the big hardware stores don't, or at least not conveniently. Take whatever need a fastener for to them, and they will fit you out.

In the case of Astro equipment, you can either get plain or stainless. Get stainless......both work fine, and in practice, you may never note a difference. But Stainless look nicer. Cost more, but at the price of nuts and bolts it is insignificant. 

Alex

Thanks.. i bought the stainless steel ones.. they look nicer too.. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics