•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEDIC - new technology, processing, and some thoughts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

The past couple of days I attended the CEDIC conference in Linz. I found it to be a very valuable event presenting material that I have not seen at domestic conferences. Would be nice if conference was in Vienna instead of Linz from a international travel prospective. Some notes are below:

New technology:
Atik / QSI - 6162 looks nice, a bit expensive and late to market. Does use more expensive QSI electronics vs Atik. Will feature other sensors. Atik also has a new line of cooled CMOS cameras starting with IMX428

FLI - Not new but talk about 4040/400 CMOS. Impressive results. Like the low/high gain built in merge.

ASA - more or less no longer in the amateur business. New DDM mount series that fixes some issues with DDM85 but about a year before another upgrade that fixes tuning issues. 16” hypergraph is cool but very expensive, heavy, and a wind sail. Lots of better alternatives like dream telescopes. 16” RC has no advantage vs Planewave, CFF, OS, or Alluna

Telescope Expess - new line of hyperbolic scopes look really good. 6” is in testing, 8”, 10” planned by summer. Also selling CFF RC with GSO optics. Should be good combo

Baader- nothing new but their claimshell is competively priced with astrohaven. Working on filter slider for RASA 8

Morivian- new line of cool CMOS in work including large format. Also had non cooled guider samples that were very impressive. I encouraged them to attend AIC. opt now official US vendor

Processing / Lectures
-Martin Pugh, the headliner. Disappointed in this one. While I think some of his points on hardware are valid he also has a clear objective in promoting both his business and companies he works with. Talking with other attendees they found his talk discouraging and I could see that if I was a newbie. He also belongs to a group of individuals I would call image manipulators who use photoshop to repaint parts of their image (in his case stars) that he finds unattractive. It’s a fine line but I feel he crossed it in my mind.

-Fabian Neyer, fantastic presentation way over most peoples heads and time commitment to processing a given image. Great results though.

-Oleg Bryzgalov not a great presenter but fantastic content. Puts in a lot of hard work with low end equipment to get fantastic results. New HDRWT technique is fantastic

-Jukka-Pekka Metsävainio on tone mapping, felt really bad because he had tech issues but was effectively how to paint with photoshop. Glad someone asked about data manipulation

-GAIA catalog really impressive work for understanding the structure of Milky Way. Favorite talk.

-Simon Addis on building a backyard observatory on a low budget. Pretty darn cool although he effectively built a lot of what ACP and CCDAP does

-OBSTECH these are the people who own/manage the Chiliscope observatory area. Great site and significantly more upfront investment than DSW to develop location. Will be interesting to see if that pays off. 50% owned by Russians may or may not be an issue for some people.

-Josep Drudis - great examples of merging high resolution into low resolution images. Impressive results. Area for future research

-Edoardo Luca Radice, Luigi Fontana good talk on how to use distortion correction in PixInsight

- several others but mostly repeats of stuff I had seen(e.g. basic pixel math but good for beginners

Also would note the conference attendees were about 10 years younger than in the US

Edited by akulapanam, 17 March 2019 - 11:52 AM.

• H-Alfa, TimN, psandelle and 8 others like this

#2 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

-Fabian Neyer, fantastic presentation way over most peoples heads and time commitment to processing a given image. Great results though.

I would have liked to see that. His images are phenomenal...bar none some of the absolute best out there. I use his images as references a lot, particularly his Heart and Soul and Pacman. Both are insanely deep, insanely detailed.

Interesting to hear Atik and Moravian are getting into CMOS... Do you know what kinds of sensors? Any large/mono?

• t_image likes this

#3 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

I would have liked to see that. His images are phenomenal...bar none some of the absolute best out there. I use his images as references a lot, particularly his Heart and Soul and Pacman. Both are insanely deep, insanely detailed.

Interesting to hear Atik and Moravian are getting into CMOS... Do you know what kinds of sensors? Any large/mono?

Atik is 694 replacement size for now. IMX428 is their first. Steve really believes that CCD is significantly better except for certain narrowband situations. At some point the 6121 size QSI might get a scientific CMOS. Noted this might not be GPixel but a different manufacturer like Teledyn

Moravian is a range of Sony CMOS with both global and rolling shutter for now. Gpixel in future for large frame

Will post photos in next few days

Edited by akulapanam, 17 March 2019 - 11:39 AM.

#4 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

Forgot one other item. Teleskop Express had a bunch of quad refractors, some new others have been selling for awhile. Wasn’t particularly interested myself but other people might be. They like the quad because it’s plug and play

Nikon had some new items too but I’m not a Nikon, DSLR or DSLR lens person...

ASA also had a 300mm F1.44 scope they are working on . Reminds me of the similar TEC scope

Edited by akulapanam, 17 March 2019 - 01:47 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#5 tkottary

tkottary

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

Morivian : they were telling these would be out late jan but isn't yet..

https://www.gxccd.co...&cat=1&lang=409

#6 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

Morivian : they were telling these would be out late jan but isn't yet..

https://www.gxccd.co...&cat=1&lang=409

Those are done. They had several working examples. The cooled ones are not yet
  • tkottary likes this

#7 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

Some photos:

The ASA Hypergraph - 16" Hyperbolic astrograph w/ 5" focuser

ASA hyper.jpg

The TS RC Pro (CFF frame w/ GSO optics) & TS new Hyperbolic Astrograph (6" model)

CFF GSO RC and hyperbolic.jpg

• psandelle likes this

#8 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:56 PM

Atik/QSI cameras including new 6162 & Atik CMOS 428

atik cam.jpg

Slide on Atik CMOS 428

Atik Cam slide.jpg

I unfortunately didn't get a photo of the two new Moravian (big and small) CMOS cameras

Edited by akulapanam, 23 March 2019 - 03:57 PM.

• psandelle and premk19 like this

#9 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

RASA 8 w/ Baader UFC

baader.jpg

• psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics