•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter: Double Shadow Transit

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ower Yonder, 01.5ºW. 55ºN.

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

Only the 4th decent view so far this apparition; and its starting to make me look like a Red Spot Obsessive, but I can promise it’s all in how the conditions fall/favour.......in particular our fickle UK skies – especially at lo-altitude.......

As I once had in my CN signature: “No such thing as a boring planet; [**] only the observer perception-lacking” and would add to that: [*...or [no] boring side of a planet.....*].  In fact would extend that further to what we observe in general!

Regardless: so good to get back to the scope after a long-spell (seemed like) of stormy weather and other unproductive diversions.

Dave.

JUP 2019 March 18 II III Sh.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 18 March 2019 - 10:37 AM.

• Special Ed, zjc26138, IVM and 15 others like this

#2 RyanSem

RyanSem

Messenger

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:35 AM

That's a sketch? You have some true talent!

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

I'm surprised the seeing was so good, with the roaring jetstream last night. Was it consistently good, or just now and again?

#4 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:35 AM

I’m coming more to find that the jet's seeing-affecting is not as simple as we/I have assumed over the years. Of the previous three good views so far this apparition this was the most involved with that and even so the most consistently steady of them.........In fact I tend to take more notice of distant streetlight-flickering (ground-level turbulence) to judge how things might go – very steady this a.m.......

Last night I had gone to bed planning for this morning’s session on the strength of seeing (!) naked-eye stars twinkling quite softly – even Sirius.  The jet’ map was showing we were in a calmer gap then – and this a.m. here, near the n’east coast, we were on the leading edge of a calmer (yellow) band........

https://www.netweath...-data/jetstream

Tho' if 06:00 a.m. is still showing: hardly raging, that narrow approaching band.

I had some ‘weird’ and wonderful conditions with tight doubles in mid-Feb under a hopeless looking jet’.  Basically vigorously-scrambled Airy rings and crisp central disks – the apodizer a definite factor with that I could see.

Dave.

Edited by David Gray, 18 March 2019 - 11:02 AM.

• happylimpet likes this

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

Dave,

Very nice sketch of  Jupiter: Double Shadow Transit smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

David,

I like this double transit sketch of Jupiter and the GRS.

Beautifully captured.

Frank :)

#7 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hi Dave

The sets of belt-lets in the S temp region are impressive, they are so low in contrast that it usually takes very good conditions for me to see them.

I'm also liking your amber EZ 'belt', and your burgundy NEZ barges. Nice colours!

The sky looked good here this morning too, but caught me napping (!) as the weather had been so wet and windy all weekend....

Regarding the seeing, I have given up looking at the jetstream, and the weather maps, I just tend to get outside and take whatever is there now.

#8 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

Many Thanks Folks........smile.gif

I'm also liking your amber EZ 'belt', and your burgundy NEZ barges. Nice colours!

The sky looked good here this morning too, but caught me napping (!) as the weather had been so wet and windy all weekend....

Regarding the seeing, I have given up looking at the jetstream, and the weather maps, I just tend to get outside and take whatever is there now.

Hi Chris....That amber cast in the EZ bears watching in case it deepens to the rich russet hue of the early 1960s.  Over the years I have been hopeful in vain each time it deepened to the current level but never again caught it at that ‘60s level

Trying to get those hues on planets sort of became my main aim (sort of!); pretty much overriding seeking the very finest detail which became ingrained over the years – at the cost-of that even.

Before the ADC I was bracing myself to the prospect of the planets getting very low here and the atmospheric dispersion working against getting ‘colour-accuracy’ – a minefield at best.........As I said after trialing it “I’m a happy bunny”.

I’m similar-minded to you about forecasts and such:  my continuing referring to jetstream forecasts etc. is now more in the vein of evaluating predicted/indicated vs observed.  As to those sites giving seeing forecasts......well.......no chance of me bookmarking those.

If I had not the scope on hand practically ready to use at a moment’s notice I expect I would have a grudging reliance on the various predictions before committing to a lengthy journey.  But I have to say I’m pretty sure my observing files would be reduced by some 30% or a deal more had I took forecasts at their word and not even bothered to look.  In short I take a look and, depending on hunches, linger awhile or just keep checking regardless.

Have to say tho’ that the weather forecasts have been surprisingly near the mark so far this year – maybe they’re using a better batch of seaweed......lol.gif .

Dave.

• happylimpet likes this

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

Dave,

*Impressive* take on the King.  Always love those shadow transits.  The GRS is noticeably smaller, isn't it?

Still haven't had my first look this apparition (except naked eye).  Rare clear mornings have been accompanied by near gale force winds and temps in the negative Celsius numbers.  Now that we're past the equinox maybe things will improve.

#10 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:58 AM

It's always a pleasure to see your work Dave, thank you so much to share it here!

Michel

#11 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Michael & Michel.....

Been stormy here up to last weekend.  Now we are back to that more clement – tho’ cloudy – weather we had in February; but what we have now is more in keeping with the month of March: *Coming in like a lion* and possibly *Going out like a lamb*!

Yes the GRS is smaller now and for some time: now and then I chance upon some sketches from the 60s to 80s/90s and initially/subconsciously I cringe with the thought that I’ve drawn it way too large..... but hopefully not!

Cheers,
Dave.

• Special Ed likes this

#12 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:16 AM

Dave,

This is one of my favs of yours now. As Chris mentioned the low contrast belts in the Southern region giving it that layer-cake look is really a fine touch. On the best nights I've seen the "cake" too,  a beautiful effect.  Alas, quite long ago when the position in the ecliptic had it high up with summers good seeing at the proper hour.  LOL, I don't think you are Red Spot Obsessive - I get it. You take what you can get when the getting good, or even possible.  Don't we run into the same issue with Mars sometimes where weather through out a season by chance leaves one hemisphere visible simply because it was clear those nights?  As I said this is one of my new favs of yours , the serendipity of the moon shadows, the color of the red spot and fine, thin, low contrast belts and zones with the SEB being textured but lower contrast than past years.

Yeah I like it. And Chris, glad to see you in the thread.

Cheers,

Pete

• David Gray likes this

#13 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Pete......

Red Spot obsessives: BAA Jupiter Director John Rogers once expressed his frustrations about those to David Graham and me some 30-yrs ago; there may still be more than a few out there methinks.

Yes its often uncanny the way chance figures in things...the way Jupiter seems fond of doing a quick change when disappearing behind the Sun struck me years ago.......From back in 1964/65 when up to ’64 December I was at last getting (sketching) some of that deep russet EZ tone with the 10” I alluded to earlier.  Then reappearing in summer ‘65 with a white/bright EZ garlanded with numerous NEBs loops – delightful and disappointing at the same time........

Dave.

#14 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Dave, where IS that 10?

Pete

#15 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

Mothballed and stowed upstairs these past 40+ years Pete. 

I have some notion to convert it to a Dob of sorts.  The 7ft tube with a 14” internal diameter would be shortened to accept a 12” f/5 mirror and all the work that goes with that......someday when time....Might get a part exchange deal with the 10" mirror (f/8) but not too hopeful on that these days...

Looking like a clear morning tomorrow with calming wind and again the GRS coming onto the globe – maybe I’ll try for Saturn: currently only just keeping ahead of dawn’s light.

Dave.

Edited by David Gray, 24 March 2019 - 04:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics