•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimater

beginner collimation
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EdBarber

EdBarber

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

Hello again,

Purchased a SvBony collimater in order to collimate my Meade DS2114. Big surprise, to me at least, it does not fit.
The collimater is about 1-1/4 inch OD while the bore of the scope's eyepiece is about 7/8 inch ID. Big oops.
Can someone tell me of a collimater the will fit my telescope? I will also continue to search. I assumed there were standard bores for these
eyepieces as my collimater came with an adapter for a larger bore.

Thanks,
Ed

#2 JGass

JGass

Messenger

• Loc: MD

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

Ed,

You could buy one of these adapters to allow you to use your current collimator. 

However, it would increase the chances of the collimator not sitting perfectly square with the focuser. Any wobble would complicate getting a good alignment.

I assume that your collimator is the laser with 45 degree window type.  Note that such collimators often arrive a bit out of collimation themselves. (There typically is a red laser pointer inside the housing sitting in a conical recepticle, with three small set screws holding the pointer in position.)  When a laser collimator is miscollimated, itself, using it introduces miscollimation to the scope.

• EdBarber likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, collimation

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics