•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on lightweight mount replacement for Atlas and Sirius

mount Orion
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sarasota, Fl

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

Hello everyone, i need advice on a replacement mount for my ES 127ED plus ST80, Canon DSLR configuration.  I had them on an Atlas mount which is quite heavy... i also have a Sirius mount that i acquired as part of a purchase. What mount should i be looking at to replace both the Atlas and Sirius that is not as heavy and can hold my equipment weight that doesn't break my bank?  I do plan on going CCD in the future to alleviate the weight a little but it will be a while. Thanks.

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

Well decent performance and lightweight means more expensive than decent performance and heavy.  You also didn't define the criteria for "break the bank."  I would look at the new iOptron CEM40.

• Gary Z likes this

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

I would look at a iOptron CEM60 at 26 lbs. I bought mine from Astronomics.

IMO - The new CEM40 may be just a bit undersized if considering a 50% AP weight criteria and the prices I've see so far are not that much less than the CEM60. However, the new CEM40 is a all new mount so I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see them at NEAF in a few weeks.

Edited by scadvice, 18 March 2019 - 01:48 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#4 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

Have you considered a Losmandy GM811?  Here's Uncle Rod's Review of it....but the point is 27 lb mount head....

http://uncle-rods.bl...-gm811-for.html

Gary

#5 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

Ioptron mounts have a very good payload/weight ratio and are not hugely more expensive than Synta's.

Vixen Sphinxes could be another option: SX, SXD2 (I have this one, weighs 9kg and declares 15kg as optimum max load for AP. However it has a big fault: a non replaceable VIxen-type clapm to secure the load), SXP (it has been recently discontinued, so may find a deal somewhere. The head weighs a couple of kgs more than SXD2 but has more payload and can use Losmandy-type clamps).

I use mine with the stock tripod and the whole mount is under 15kg, plus CWs (1.9kg is enough for my most typical setup, around 7kg)

#6 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sarasota, Fl

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.  I'll continue looking at the iOptron mounts... Losmandy are out of my range for now. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, Orion

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics