•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions about adding OSC to my imaging Canons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

Dear all,

I am in a Bortle4 area. I am planning/thinking about adding a ZWO or QHY OSC to my imaging equipment. I have a Canon6D, unmodified and a Canon50D modified. Not considering sensor pixel size:

As far as I can tell, as compared to the Canons, I would be adding only temperature control over the Canons imaging? Am I right?

As a related question, should I expect a significant quality increase in my DSO images?

Would PI processing be simplified?

Thanks in advance, Fernando

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

As far as I can tell, as compared to the Canons, I would be adding only temperature control over the Canons imaging? Am I right?

As a related question, should I expect a significant quality increase in my DSO images?

Would PI processing be simplified?

Mostly, yes (compared to the modded 50d).  But depending on the mod you had done, you will also be adding capture in a wider range of wavelengths. 

And remember that temperature control also means significant cooling, which lowers dark noise...it's not just control, it's control at much cooler temps!

• elmiko likes this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

A big advantage of cooled camera is the ability to have a Dark library with your various exposure times.....ie 60 sec, 120 sec, at say, -10c It is easier and takes less time because you don't have to take darks along with your light frames every time. Which means more time on your target.

Mike

Edited by elmiko, 19 March 2019 - 05:07 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#4 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Prachinburi, Thailand

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

I started imaging with a modded Canon 700D but now use a cooled QHY168C. I live in a hot country, as do you, and the temp of my 700D would rapidly rise to 40C or more. My 168C runs at a frosty -5C. Not only are the images out of the 168C better but I can calibrate with temperature and exposure length matched darks (in my dark library). I typically try to get hundreds of 60s or 120s frames for each target and I although I still do a little noise reduction in post-proc out of habit, I think I could get away without it. Processing the frames captured with the 700D was always a challenge, to say the least.

• elmiko likes this

#5 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

Thank you all for your time and answers. One more question: I usually take 5 minutes light subs with the Canons. For example, last time I had a chance to be under clear skies, I took 5 minutes subs from NGC300. With a CMOS, for example, the ZWO071MC, would be also 5 minutes subs?

#6 ezwheels

ezwheels

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

Thank you all for your time and answers. One more question: I usually take 5 minutes light subs with the Canons. For example, last time I had a chance to be under clear skies, I took 5 minutes subs from NGC300. With a CMOS, for example, the ZWO071MC, would be also 5 minutes subs?

Exposure lengths depend primarily on the gain settings, the target brightness and light pollution. Gain is kind of like ISO. You just have to run exposure and gain tests to find the best ones for your targets and skies. These settings are more often than not, different for different imagers in different locations. So our settings may or may not give you the optimum results. Temperature control and cooling is a huge deal for reducing noise. For your skies and depending on the ambient temperature I think you would get a lot better data with a cooled OSC camera over your DSLR. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics