•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with binocular choice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ignoro

ignoro

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:13 PM

Hi, I have decided to buy a pair of binos.

At first I thought to buy Olympus DPS-I (10x50) at 55$ locally (new), which seems as a good price. But then I have realized that I should get something more practical and lightweight, as I'd like to take them with me when travelling and do other stuff then stargazing...

So I thought 8x42 might be a better choice, I found these, they are all roof as it seems more practical...

Did anyone use any of these, I can find reviews for the Opticron only? Please recommend some 8x42 binos that I could buy in Europe not too expensive (<100$)..

Thanks

https://www.firstlig...binoculars.html

https://www.astrosho...-series/p,57048

https://www.astrosho...ar-8x42/p,11337

#2 ignoro

ignoro

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

I found Bresser condor 8*42, does anyone have any experience with this one?
Thanks

#3 ihf

ihf

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

The problem with inexpensive roof prisms binoculars are the roof prisms. Roof prisms in binoculars under USD 150 often lack "phase coating", which makes the picture a bit hazy during the day. Porro prisms (like in the Olympus DPS-I) are much easier and cheaper to make, but bulkier. To stay on the website you gave I would pick the Omegon Binoculars Farsight 8x40 for USD 70 (on sale) as it has BAK4 prism, an eye relief of 20mm, a reasonable weight of 777g, size W x H x D (mm): 193 x 135 x 59. On the down side the field of view is only 6.5 degrees, a bit narrow AFOV of 52'. The Olympus DPS-I you mentioned first also has a FOV of 6.5 at 10x magnification for AFOV of 65'. I would prefer that. Of course weight is 855g and size W x H x D (mm): 191 x 178 x 63.

I don't have first hand experience with the binos mentioned. But from the specs the Olympus is best for astronomy, but is bulky and has an eye relief of 12mm which is not good for wearing glasses. If wearing glasses then the Omegon Farsight might be better, but best to try first, as the stated eye relief is often a lie. Otherwise would it be possible to step up in price a little bit to USD 102 and get the Nikon Aculon 7x35? The eye relief is also low at 12mm, but it is more compact, has a wide FOV of 9.3' and AFOV of 60' and generally good reviews.

If you can spend USD 150-200 you can look at roof prism binos, but below that amount you may not be long term happy with them. Also if you need to wear glasses you really need to make sure in a store that the binoculars will work for you.

• paulsky and ignoro like this

#4 Antonio R.G

Antonio R.G

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:07 AM

I agree with the previous comment. On this price scale, porro-type binoculars tend to be better in terms of optical quality. The Olympus 10x50 DPSI is very good for its price, but if you can pay a little more go for the nikon Aculon 7x35 or the Nikon Aculon 10x42 ... (I think both cost less than € 100). I have both and I'm convinced that they exceed roof binoculars of similar price ...

• paulsky and ignoro like this

#5 ignoro

ignoro

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

Ok, I can afford Nikon aculon 8x42, but they seem too bulky to carry around?

These roof prisms appeal to me only for more practical design, so as always I have stretched my budget... yoohoooo....

In the meantime I found, Celestron DX nature, they have "Phase coated BaK-4 prisms for increased contrast and resolution." and "Fully multi-coated optics", weight 629g. They sell for approx. 140$ and I've seen some good words about them here and elsewhere online.

Also Bushnell H2o 8x42 roof for similar price, which are just "multi" without "fully" Bak-4 and a bit heavier 709g... They look really sturdy...

Maybe one of these might be ok?

I don't wear spectacles...

Also I'll go to some local shop as they have Nikon Aculon so I'l try them in my hand and neck,

Thanks

#6 ihf

ihf

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

The Bushnell H2O comes as a roof and as a porro. The roof is likely not phase coated, so avoid:

https://www.bushnell...s-10x42mm-roof/

The Celestron DX nature 8x42 might be ok for you. To set expectations: at this price level you should expect some color fringing on branches, white or very black birds against the sky. Maybe unsharpness on the edge, maybe not very smooth mechanics. Probably internal reflections of the moon or street lights at night. Veiling below the sun. You should not get get too much white haze anymore in other situations as without phase coating.

Notice most of these binoculars are made by the same factory in China. The main differences you are looking for are higher specifications by the intermediate vendor, quality control, and your ability to exchange a lemon. Search for discussions of this model on the board here.

#7 Antonio R.G

Antonio R.G

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

Ok, I can afford Nikon aculon 8x42, but they seem too bulky to carry around?

These roof prisms appeal to me only for more practical design, so as always I have stretched my budget... yoohoooo....

In the meantime I found, Celestron DX nature, they have "Phase coated BaK-4 prisms for increased contrast and resolution." and "Fully multi-coated optics", weight 629g. They sell for approx. 140$ and I've seen some good words about them here and elsewhere online.

Also Bushnell H2o 8x42 roof for similar price, which are just "multi" without "fully" Bak-4 and a bit heavier 709g... They look really sturdy...

Maybe one of these might be ok?

I don't wear spectacles...

Also I'll go to some local shop as they have Nikon Aculon so I'l try them in my hand and neck,

Thanks

I do not know Celestron Nature DX 8x42.

Bushnell 8x42 H2o Roof prism is good (for its price).

Nikon Aculon 8x42 is very good for its price but if possible try the Nikon Aculon 10x42. I prefer this. It has a pretty decent field of view for 10x (6°) and is very sharp to almost the edges. The 10x magnification and the smaller exit pupil is more useful for astronomy. In terms of size and portability I think it is a personal matter. In my particular case, I prefer to sacrifice in size in exchange for better optical quality and performance (and I believe that any of these porro binoculars are optically superior to roof binoculars with equivalent price). If size and portability are really important to you, maybe you should look for an 8x30 (Pentax PCF 8x30 CW, very good) or a Monarch 3, but these are not very suitable for astronomy. The main thing is to be clear about your priorities when buying and remember that you can not have everything, a very good optics in a small and manageable size is always more expensive ..

#8 ignoro

ignoro

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

The Bushnell H2O comes as a roof and as a porro. The roof is likely not phase coated, so avoid:

https://www.bushnell...s-10x42mm-roof/

The Celestron DX nature 8x42 might be ok for you. To set expectations: at this price level you should expect some color fringing on branches, white or very black birds against the sky. Maybe unsharpness on the edge, maybe not very smooth mechanics. Probably internal reflections of the moon or street lights at night. Veiling below the sun. You should not get get too much white haze anymore in other situations as without phase coating.

Notice most of these binoculars are made by the same factory in China. The main differences you are looking for are higher specifications by the intermediate vendor, quality control, and your ability to exchange a lemon. Search for discussions of this model on the board here.

Yeah, they all look the same... I'll probably buy these Celestrons, I'll also go on flea market this Sunday, you never know :)

Thanks everyone

#9 ignoro

ignoro

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

I do not know Celestron Nature DX 8x42.

Bushnell 8x42 H2o Roof prism is good (for its price).

Nikon Aculon 8x42 is very good for its price but if possible try the Nikon Aculon 10x42. I prefer this. It has a pretty decent field of view for 10x (6°) and is very sharp to almost the edges. The 10x magnification and the smaller exit pupil is more useful for astronomy. In terms of size and portability I think it is a personal matter. In my particular case, I prefer to sacrifice in size in exchange for better optical quality and performance (and I believe that any of these porro binoculars are optically superior to roof binoculars with equivalent price). If size and portability are really important to you, maybe you should look for an 8x30 (Pentax PCF 8x30 CW, very good) or a Monarch 3, but these are not very suitable for astronomy. The main thing is to be clear about your priorities when buying and remember that you can not have everything, a very good optics in a small and manageable size is always more expensive ..

I'll try to find these Aculons locally and see them live to get a feel... As they are a bit cheaper and should give better image than Cel...

• Antonio R.G likes this

#10 ihf

ihf

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

I was thinking that a good combination of two binoculars (instead of trying to find one that does it all), might be the originally mentioned Olympus DPS-I (10x50) for astronomy plus later a Papilio 6.5/8.5x21 for small daily carry (about 300g). The Papilio works well in general use and has a nice bag which can be attached to a belt. Unfortunately in Europe it is a bit pricey and above your range. The nice thing about the Papilio is that they are well made and unique. Even people with unlimited budget enjoy them.

#11 alpha_centauri

alpha_centauri

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

Also that Papilio can focus from 50cm, making it a magnifying glass, opera glass and museum tool. Not great for astronomy though. You will not regret bumping up your budget in the years to come.

When you are in budget, it is always better to look for used equipment to get the best value for money. Astroshop also has some warehouse deals.  Teleskop Service may have some. Look for and call local astro/optic equipment dealers in Croatia if they have returns. All local astronomy websites have a forum for buy/sell too.  Do not go by how binoculars look in the promotional materials!

#12 Dolarel

Dolarel

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hi, I have decided to buy a pair of binos.

At first I thought to buy Olympus DPS-I (10x50) at 55$ locally (new), which seems as a good price. But then I have realized that I should get something more practical and lightweight, as I'd like to take them with me when travelling and do other stuff then stargazing...

So I thought 8x42 might be a better choice, I found these, they are all roof as it seems more practical...

Did anyone use any of these, I can find reviews for the Opticron only? Please recommend some 8x42 binos that I could buy in Europe not too expensive (<100$)..

Thanks

https://www.firstlig...binoculars.html

https://www.astrosho...-series/p,57048

https://www.astrosho...ar-8x42/p,11337

According to my observations and feedback from users there are 5 leaders in budget and quality Celestron 71332 Nature DX 8×42, Nikon 8245 ACULON A211 8×42 for user’s who wear glasses, Bushnell 334211 Trophy 10×42, Vortex Optics Raptor 10×32, Olympus Trooper 8×40 DPS1 https://opticzoo.com...er-100-reviews/  accurate choice of model is necessary to implement from individual needs, for example, whether you are wearing glasses or not, how much weight you need, attachments to a shatitive, a diaphragm. I advise you to study well the characteristics before buying.

#13 ignoro

ignoro

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

I was thinking that a good combination of two binoculars (instead of trying to find one that does it all), might be the originally mentioned Olympus DPS-I (10x50) for astronomy plus later a Papilio 6.5/8.5x21 for small daily carry (about 300g). The Papilio works well in general use and has a nice bag which can be attached to a belt. Unfortunately in Europe it is a bit pricey and above your range. The nice thing about the Papilio is that they are well made and unique. Even people with unlimited budget enjoy them.

It's funny just yesterday I thought that I might buy something very compact and then I saw your post :), these 8x42 are still just a bit bulky and smaller ones I could keep with me almost always and just now my friend loaned me some old Russian 12x40 TENTO binos in unused condition so I'll stick with those in astronomy for now...

This Papilio might be a nice solution, it seems to be good for kids, especially that my son likes all kinds of bugs, we have a handheld microscope (Carson, which is really great/easy to use) and this Papilio seems like a very good addition... And for astronomy it's probably not great but still better then nothing and I can keep it with me when traveling anywhere. 

I even found some display model missing a cap (8.5 version) for 120$ shipped, which is a good price here in Europe...

Thanks everyone for your help, it's nice to have you :)

#14 Sõel

Sõel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

I used to have this olympus 10x50. For the price it was good, But they fell into ground and insides were broken.

Now I use Kowa 6x30, much more portable and they have survived their first drop on concrete floor. Price is same.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics