•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Store APM 152 ED in shed?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 adamsdp

adamsdp

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

I am thinking of purchasing a APM 152 ED doublet and wondering if it will hold up well being stored in an outdoor unheated shed in Michigan?  I don't observe much in the cold months so could bring it indoors for 4 months or so of the year.  I am thinking people leave these scopes in observatories so hopefully not a problem leaving it in a shed?  The only way I want to purchase the scope is to leave it mounted on wheels so it doesn't have to be set up for each observing session.  Thanks.

#2 starryhtx

starryhtx

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:43 PM

I am thinking of purchasing a APM 152 ED doublet and wondering if it will hold up well being stored in an outdoor unheated shed in Michigan? I don't observe much in the cold months so could bring it indoors for 4 months or so of the year. I am thinking people leave these scopes in observatories so hopefully not a problem leaving it in a shed? The only way I want to purchase the scope is to leave it mounted on wheels so it doesn't have to be set up for each observing session. Thanks.

I wouldn’t do it.
  • Tyson M and Augustus like this

#3 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

Have you stored any other scopes in your shed for extended periods?

I keep all my large mounts in my shed year round, covered with tarps, yet they still get dusty.  I wouldn't want any of my scopes exposed to the dust, not to mention the hot / cold extremes, as they would require more frequent cleaning, and that ups the odds of damage to the coatings -- at least.

#4 adamsdp

adamsdp

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

I have a cpc1100 in the shed for a year under a bed sheet and haven't noticed dust or other problems.

#5 Astrolite

Astrolite

Messenger

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

Aside from the dust, I wouldn't be as concerned with the cold dry air of the winter months as I would be of the hot humid summer months. Humidity and darkness breed mold. I found out the hard way that storing optics in a dark uncontrolled environment is not wise.

#6 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

Remember - most every professional telescope in the world is stored in an "unheated shed." Make sure the shed is secure and reasonably well sealed. Cover the telescope when not in use. Use a lens cap. The scope should be fine even if stored for long periods. I leave a 90 mm refracting telescope stored in my unheated garage in Canada under a TeleGizmos cover and it stays clean and in perfect condition.

Bill

#7 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Not a good idea.

During a mid-winter observing session I left a pair of (capped) binos in the shed only to find dew on both objectives in the Spring.

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:09 AM

Not in my shed that leaks and the salt air.

#9 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

Aside from the dust, I wouldn't be as concerned with the cold dry air of the winter months as I would be of the hot humid summer months. Humidity and darkness breed mold. I found out the hard way that storing optics in a dark uncontrolled environment is not wise.

Ditto.  Just cover it well so dust cannot accumulate, position the scope horizontal when not in use so any dust that does manage to get it just settles on the ventral side of OTA, and make sure the shed is ventilated along roof so humidity does not build up inside and heat is dissipated in summer.

#10 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

Not a problem if you have a dry well ventilated shed. Does it have power? If so a single 60 watt bulb near the end of the ota will keep it dry in the wet months.

I have a eq mount outside for several years now covered with a 365 cover, no problems. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#11 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

Ditto.  Just cover it well so dust cannot accumulate, position the scope horizontal when not in use so any dust that does manage to get it just settles on the ventral side of OTA, and make sure the shed is ventilated along roof so humidity does not build up inside and heat is dissipated in summer.

+1. I’ve been keeping my telescopes in a shed for years now with no ill effects. My shed has two gable vents plus a window with a screen should I need the extra ventilation. I’ve never felt the need to open the window though. 

My dobs are covered with Telegizmo covers, and refractors are kept in soft cases. I’ve never had an issue with mold, mildew, etc. 

As you said earlier, people all over the world keep telescopes in observatories year round, and this is no different. 

• Jaimo! likes this

#12 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

Just want to add that the only people who seem to have problems with shed storage are those who live in really humid climates. Providing supplemental heat (as in the 60 watt bulb) and ventilation are common solutions. If humidity is a concern I'm sure good solutions can be found by reviewing the CN Observatories forum.

Bill

• Jaimo! likes this

#13 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

BIF:  My shed isn't included in our home security system; that is, someone could break in, and no alarms would sound, and it's far enough away from the house that we probably wouldn't hear burglars emptying it out, either -- unless they were like the inept pair from that movie, Home Alone!

#14 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

All my telescopes are in unheated garage for years! I put cloth cover on all my telescopes.

#15 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

Remember - most every professional telescope in the world is stored in an "unheated shed." Make sure the shed is secure and reasonably well sealed. Cover the telescope when not in use. Use a lens cap. The scope should be fine even if stored for long periods. I leave a 90 mm refracting telescope stored in my unheated garage in Canada under a TeleGizmos cover and it stays clean and in perfect condition.

Bill

But most of them are at pretty high elevations.  pretty dry too, for the most part.  My mount stays outside under a 365 cover.  Glass and electronics come in to the climate controlled house.  If you are in the desert, it is probably less of an issue, but on the Chesapeake.... Humidity is a killer.  I usually shut down between june and august, unless something really interesting is going on.  Mesquitos and humidity drive me nuts....

JMD

#16 RogerLaureys

RogerLaureys

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hasselt,Belgium

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

I always use a dessicant cap (Farpoint)  and put some dessicant bags in front of the lens,never experienced problems in more then 15 years of storage outside under a shed.

#17 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

I wouldn’t do it.

Why?

#18 starryhtx

starryhtx

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Why?

Because I live in Houston.

#19 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:45 AM

I've kept A-P refractors setup in my observatory for years uncovered with no issues at all.  Just be sure the shed has plenty of ventilation to allow air to flow.  I've seen no ill effects.  I live in coastal MA about 3 miles from the beach.

#20 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:22 PM

All three of the scope in my sig are stored in my unheated observatory and have been for many years. One thing I did discover is dewing on the objectives in the mornings where the night temps were low and morning temps were rising. The thermal mass of the thick glass objectives - reflector, refractor and even my 12" SCT, lagged enough to fog. It was a shock one morning when I took the cover off my 12" SCT only to see the primary fogged over. Since then I run a device that has a small fan and 100 watt coil bowing up under the cover. Been doing that for several years and the scope is always dry. This is similar to what I use: Caframo Limited 9406CAABX Stor-Dry 9406

This is in the Pacific Northwest where there's a lot of humidity 8- 9 months out of the year.

#21 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:48 PM

Hello Tom, 

All three of the scope in my sig are stored in my unheated observatory and have been for many years. One thing I did discover is dewing on the objectives in the mornings where the night temps were low and morning temps were rising. The thermal mass of the thick glass objectives - reflector, refractor and even my 12" SCT, lagged enough to fog. It was a shock one morning when I took the cover off my 12" SCT only to see the primary fogged over. Since then I run a device that has a small fan and 100 watt coil bowing up under the cover. Been doing that for several years and the scope is always dry. This is similar to what I use: Caframo Limited 9406CAABX Stor-Dry 9406

This is in the Pacific Northwest where there's a lot of humidity 8- 9 months out of the year.

Been looking for something like that for some time now - thanks for this and the info! waytogo.gif  

Best.., 

skybsd

#22 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

Even the largest observatory scopes are kept in unheated structures.  However,  comparing them to a shed is a bit different.   Who knows what types of creatures and insects live in a shed.  Just not the type of place I would want to store a scope.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics