•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Barlow lens trouble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Oldsmokey55

Oldsmokey55

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

I just got a 1.25 x2 barlow lens that I attached to my dslr camera. When I attach the camera to my nextstar 130 slt I can't fit the moon into the camera sensor. Would getting a 2in barlow lens help?

#2 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

This probably should go to a different forum.

No, the only reason you can't fit the Moon is because you are using a 2x barlow that crops the FOV, using a 2" instead of a 1.25" will not fix that. There is no way to fix that besides trying to focus the camera without using the Barlow, which from experience I know isn't possible with the 130SLT without pushing the primary mirror forward.

#3 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Just put all the data here, even with an APS-C camera you should (barely) be able to fit the entire moon with a 2x barlow.

It's important to know the camera model. The 1.25" barlow should not vignette (APSC is smaller than 1.25") but what else?

Edited by Riccardo_italy, 19 March 2019 - 08:40 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics