•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron iPolar

equipment imaging accessories
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 rhart426

rhart426

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

Question for anyone that's installed the iPolar on a CEM60: since it installs internally, will it interfere with any custom cables that have been routed through the mount such as in this video here?

https://www.youtube....h?v=Oy8ilrOm3vA

#27 Skymind

Skymind

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:23 AM

Question for someone who has actually used this...

I'm curious to know just how much of a view of polaris you need or don't need to have.  Am I correct in assuming that you need to have a view to the north that may or may not include Polars? The manual mentions plate solving.  Anyone know if it will plate solve on another region of the sky for polar alignment?

-Steve

The iPolar does real time plate solving in the general direction of the pole area, about 14 degrees. No visible Polaris necessary as long as 4 or more stars available.

#28 patrickrebstock

patrickrebstock

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

Question for someone who has actually used this...

I'm curious to know just how much of a view of polaris you need or don't need to have.  Am I correct in assuming that you need to have a view to the north that may or may not include Polars? The manual mentions plate solving.  Anyone know if it will plate solve on another region of the sky for polar alignment?

-Steve

well since its stuck to the ra axis it still needs to point the mount at polaris even if you cant see it, but polaris can be blocked in that view, its not like your mount can be up against a building or really have the north view blocked completely.  Its the wide angle of view that they are relying on to give you some view even if polaris itself is not visible.  Ioptron mounts have other ways to align off of diffrent stars or solar system objects if your up against a brick wall but thats not using ipolar at that point. I would say after reading the stuff that it needs to see 4 stars for its plate solve to work. 

• bmhjr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, imaging, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics