•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy polar scope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stmifx

stmifx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Wondering if this polar scope or any other make ever needs to be calibrated. How does one figure out if a polar scope needs calibration?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:12 AM

Yes - it needs to be calibrated.  There are 3 very small set screws.  Don't know if they are metric.  These need to be adjusted so the reticle is centered when rotated >180 degrees.  The reticle glass is VERY FRAGILE and can be cracked if too much pressure is applied by the set screws.

I think there are YouTube video's on how to calibrate the reticle.

#3 stmifx

stmifx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Thanks, I will take a look. Hoping to get out scope + mount this Friday evening.

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

Don't need the stars.  I aligned my scope my pointing it to a neighbors garage door and centered the reticle on a screw head.  

#5 stmifx

stmifx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

Don't need the stars.  I aligned my scope my pointing it to a neighbors garage door and centered the reticle on a screw head.  

Yes, agree. That is what I meant by taking it out in the evening but before dark and getting it calibrated if it needs to be.

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

Make a mistake and it will cost you fifty or sixty bucks.  Providing Losmandy still sells replacements.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics