•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Older CPC11 tracking sucks. Time to defork?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:04 PM

My old CPC11 is going on 13 years old. It's been a workhorse and been living outside for 6 years running now. It's starting to track very poorly - I can get 20s maybe sometimes 30s at F6.3. If I try and guide (using 50mm guidescope) it's hopeless just very high error, so I don't guide at all. I had used off axis guiding a year ago and I could get maybe 1 min subs. But it was never that good and then finding a guide star at 1700mm FL was not fun. So... is there any hope ? I have read about the bearings mod... but I am not that DIY... would that have any hope? I love the sturdy nature of the CPC and it's held polar alignment really well for so many years. So I would like to keep it but it's become useless except for planetary work... any and all thoughts appreciated.

Al

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

Hi Al,

Since it has been spending so much time on a wedge I do believe the bearings are shot.  There probably isn't anything you will do to improve things short of the bearing replacement.  If you don't have Gary Bennett's article, you will find it here at my website:

https://www.nexstars...OddsEndsCPC.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• Procyon likes this

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

I know some other CPC users may disagree, but the telescope was never realisticly designed to compete with the Meade LX200 fork system but rather the LX90 system. 

My CPC1100 is fine shooting the big bright stuff for short periods, but will never compare to even my classic LX200 F6.3 8".  The system just isnt' built with serious AP in mind.  It's easy to tell that by the bearing issue and by the location of the power port on the rotating base.   If you want to do AP with it, defork and put it on the equatorial mount of your choice... though I'd probably personally opt for the CEM60 which would allow for additional equipment. 

Now some people are getting nice shots with their CPCs, but in the long run far more defork the OTAs.   

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the link to the DIY project. Well truth be told I suspect I probably can't even get it off the wedge (looks rusted on). Moreover there are too many scary photos of the fork in state of disassembly. (I did do a CGEM hypertune myself - but this looks harder). I am thinking I may just leave it and use it exclusively for planets. I have been thinking about gettting an Edge anyhow. So may just do that. The GOTOs are fine and it tracks just fine for planetary and for short stack EAA...

Al
  • Ryan555_1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics