•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Splitting Arcturus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:06 AM

I was looking at Arcturus Sat night and noticed Stellarium has Arcturus listed as a double star. I searched online and could not find any information on anyone's experiences splitting Arcturus. I could not even find any information on its companion star, its magnitude or separation distance.

Has anyone had any experience splitting Arcturus or is this not a visual double that can be split? If you did split this star, what magnification is required to do so and what type of scope did you use.

By the way, Napoleons hat is a fun object in the same field of view as Arcturus. 

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

...Ralph in Sacramento.

• happylimpet and flt158 like this

#2 Waddensky

Waddensky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:04 AM

The WDS designation is HDS2003, position angle 198 degrees and separation 0.3". Here's some info on Arcturus on Stelle Doppie: https://www.stelledo...?iddoppia=59359. It seems the duplicity of Arcturus is questioned or disproved. See the Notes section on the link. In any case, observing a secondary so close to the bright star would be incredibly difficult.

Edited by Waddensky, 19 March 2019 - 04:05 AM.

• havasman and flt158 like this

#3 flt158

flt158

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

I agree that Picot 1 (Napoleon's Hat is great fun to observe alright. 

I observed it for the first time in 2018 through my William Optics 158 mm apo.  

Stelle Doppie is very reliable when researching doubles. 

Maybe an 18" Dobsonian could have a go at splitting Arcturus. 

Too tough for me though. 

As things stand Alpha Bootis is my favourite bright star. 

I love its golden orange colour.  

By the way, I also have great admiration for Stf 1825. 

It's less than 1 arc minute away from Arcturus.

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

#4 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:47 AM

0.3" separation is why no one ever talks about splitting Arctures. 

Thank you!

...Ralph

#5 fred1871

fred1871

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:14 AM

The separation listed for Arcturus, from the only observation suggesting it's double, is not close enough to be a problem for the professionals using big scopes and speckle imaging. The only suggestion that it's double is from Hipparcos in 1991.

The WDS listing indicates it's currently regarded as not being double. Hence the WDS note, "Duplicity questioned by Griffin and subsequently retracted by Soderhjelm and & Mignard", with references given to the science papers in 1998 (you can find them via the WDS Notes listing along with the Discoverers list that WDS has as a separate file).

Looking at other attempts on Arcturus, via the Interferometric measures catalogue:

three attempts in 1975 using speckle imaging on a 5.1-metre scope gave single image: the limits were <0.030", <0.023", and <0.025".

In 2001 Brian Mason (USNO) using a 4.0-metre scope and speckle, likewise had a "single" result, the resolution limit listed as <0.03".

That's why you don't hear about Arcturus as a double.

• gregj888 and flt158 like this

#6 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:12 PM

Speaking about Arcturus and nothing to do with splitting it, it's highlighted in the movie "Passengers" They show it outside a picture window of a space ship! I found the scene pretty cool for you Sy-Fi fans!

#7 Luna-tic

Luna-tic

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Foothills North Carolina

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:26 PM

Speaking about Arcturus and nothing to do with splitting it, it's highlighted in the movie "Passengers" They show it outside a picture window of a space ship! I found the scene pretty cool for you Sy-Fi fans!

I thought the overall special effects in that film were outstanding. The ship design is beautiful. JLAW, however, needs no enhancement.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics