•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Public Observatory at Lowell

equipment observatory outreach refractor SCT reflector cassegrain catadioptric
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

gallery_220268_10957_93155.jpg

I just wanted to alert everyone that Lowell Observatory has a new public observatory under construction. It is called the Giovale Open Deck Observatory and the link to the construction webcam is here: https://lowell.edu/m...ill-web-camera/
The six telescopes in the Giovale Observatory are described here: https://lowell.edu/godo-telescopes/

The Giovale Observatory will open later this year. I've assisted Lowell Observatory in planning for what has affectionately become known as the "GODO" and will be happy to respond to any questions about this project from other CN members.

Bill

• Dave Mitsky, rustynpp, brentwood and 17 others like this

#2 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

Seems to be a boo-boo:

TEC 140-millimeter Refracting Telescope by Astro-Physics

Peace...

• CounterWeight likes this

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:12 PM

TEC = Telescope Engineering Company - and this is their most popular model, AP is another outfit, yep it's a boo-boo. 

Impressive array of scopes and uses, wish i live a lot closer.  Thanks for Posting this!

#4 39cross

39cross

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

That is very impressive!  Is this being built out on the observatory grounds?  It's been about 15 years since I visited, my memory is a little vague now of the place.

#5 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Middle Tennessee

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

WOWl I think a trip to AZ could be in my future.

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Soyuz

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

Cool - A scope-sampler circle! I know they get a LOT of visitors... have a feeling those obvious commercial-branded scopes are donated...  which would be a win-win?

But, the classic 24-inch Clark Refractor will still dominate! Ostensibly the best ~great refractor~ ever made.

Nice to see that at least one of the Hallmark Observatories is alive and well...    Tom

#7 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

Seems to be a boo-boo:

TEC 140-millimeter Refracting Telescope by Astro-Physics

Peace...

Yes - I think some confusion crept into the copy because the TEC 140mm is on an Astro-Physics mount. I will let LO know. Thanks for the correction.

Bill

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#8 BFaucett

BFaucett

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

Also, check out this thread in the Equipment forum (it's about the new public observatory at Lowell):

And So It Begins - New Equip for New Public Observatory

started by CN member rockethead26  - 08 August 2018

https://www.cloudyni...ic-observatory/

rockethead26 works at Lowell.

Here's one of the photos he posted today:

post-92124-0-24374600-1553011975.jpg

8" f/12 custom Victorian style refractor built by Mark Turner of Moonraker Telescopes. Lens is 204mm f12 multi coated lens supplied by APM UK. Mount A-P 1600 GTO.

Cheers!  Bob F.  smile.gif

Edited by BFaucett, 19 March 2019 - 08:11 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, khingdheano, CounterWeight and 11 others like this

#9 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

That is very impressive!  Is this being built out on the observatory grounds?  It's been about 15 years since I visited, my memory is a little vague now of the place.

Yes - it is being built to the west of the Slipher Building - the building with the dome-shaped Rotunda in front - and a bit south of the Pluto telescope. It is right where the Lowell water tanks used to be - no surprise since that is a nice high location.

Bill

#10 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

Cool - A scope-sampler circle! I know they get a LOT of visitors... have a feeling those obvious commercial-branded scopes are donated...  which would be a win-win?

But, the classic 24-inch Clark Refractor will still dominate! Ostensibly the best ~great refractor~ ever made.

Nice to see that at least one of the Hallmark Observatories is alive and well...    Tom

The telescopes were selected for their strengths of different types of sky objects. All were funded by generous donations from Lowell's supporters and donors. As far as I know none were donated by telescope manufacturers. Lowell Observatory is alive the thriving because so many people generously support it and because it has so many enthusiastic visitors.

If anyone on CN would like to contribute to the project, fundraising is still in progress. I know that Lowell Observatory would appreciate even modest donations to help them complete the campaign and equip the telescopes with excellent eyepieces, etc. You can donate here: https://lowell.edu/donate/

If you want your contribution to go specifically to the GODO - please indicate that in the comments box. You can also donate by phoning the Observatory at 928-255-0229.

Yes - the 24" Clark is a truly impressive telescope. I'm very, very fortunate to have had some wonderful views through it.

Bill 

• rockethead26 and B 26354 like this

#11 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

I viewed M15 through the 24" f/11.3 Clark quite a few years ago and have to agree.

https://astronomynow...ll-observatory/

Dave Mitsky

#12 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:34 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the link to the Astronomy Now article. It is a great write-up and I had not seen the film of them lifting the 24" before.

By the way, Kevin Schindler has written an excellent coffee-table book about the history and renewal of the Clark telescope. It is called the Far End of the Journey. I just ordered a copy for a friend by phoning the shop and they kindly had Kevin sign it. If anyone on CN phones and asks I expect they would be happy to have him sign other copies. Here is the link: https://myastronomys...-of-the-journey

Bill

• Heywood and TOMDEY like this

#13 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Soyuz

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the link to the Astronomy Now article. It is a great write-up and I had not seen the film of them lifting the 24" before.

By the way, Kevin Schindler has written an excellent coffee-table book about the history and renewal of the Clark telescope. It is called the Far End of the Journey. I just ordered a copy for a friend by phoning the shop and they kindly had Kevin sign it. If anyone on CN phones and asks I expect they would be happy to have him sign other copies. Here is the link: https://myastronomys...-of-the-journey

Bill

Very good; I just ordered the book!    Tom

#14 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

I visited the Lowell Observatory about 6 yrs. ago one night.  It was partly cloudy so the 24" telescope was not open.  They had a Orion 8" Dob looking a Jupiter, and when I took a look, it was way out of focus.  I focused it for my eye and asked the lady that had looked at it before me if it looked focused for her.  She said it just looked like a big bright blob.  I told her to look again and use the knob to focus it for her eye.  She took another look and was amazed.  The person in charge of the scope could care less if it was focused for their guests.  

I moved to the 16" telescope, and it was out of focus also.  I tried to focus the scope but the focuser was locked down and the guy in charge of this scope said they focused it  correctly and no other adjustment was needed.  I told them I had 50 years experience with telescopes and why don't they let the people get a view that is in focus.  He said it would take too much time to focus it for everybody.  There was only a dozen people there that night.

I guess they were more interested in collecting the $5.00 per head, than giving people a decent view

I hope they change their policy with the new scopes.

• BFaucett and Tyson M like this

#15 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

Wow, love that Moonraker!! Those telescopes look like a lot of fun!

• BFaucett likes this

#16 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: South West England

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

Very impressive !

I'm planning to visit the Lowell Observatory in September so I hope to be able to see these magnificent scopes for myself smile.gif

#17 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

I'm a BIG advocate of assisting guests to get the best focus. It make a huge difference in the experience for them. I will discuss this with my colleagues at Lowell.

Bill

• izar187, Tyson M, Astro-Master and 2 others like this

#18 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:38 PM

Very impressive !

I'm planning to visit the Lowell Observatory in September so I hope to be able to see these magnificent scopes for myself smile.gif

Check in with Lowell - They have not set an opening date and I'm not sure if the GODO will be open in September. Even if not LO is very much worth the visit. I will post when an opening date is known.

Bill

#19 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

I visited the Lowell Observatory about 6 yrs. ago one night.  It was partly cloudy so the 24" telescope was not open.  They had a Orion 8" Dob looking a Jupiter, and when I took a look, it was way out of focus.  I focused it for my eye and asked the lady that had looked at it before me if it looked focused for her.  She said it just looked like a big bright blob.  I told her to look again and use the knob to focus it for her eye.  She took another look and was amazed.  The person in charge of the scope could care less if it was focused for their guests.  

I moved to the 16" telescope, and it was out of focus also.  I tried to focus the scope but the focuser was locked down and the guy in charge of this scope said they focused it  correctly and no other adjustment was needed.  I told them I had 50 years experience with telescopes and why don't they let the people get a view that is in focus.  He said it would take too much time to focus it for everybody.  There was only a dozen people there that night.

I guess they were more interested in collecting the $5.00 per head, than giving people a decent view

I hope they change their policy with the new scopes.

Thanks for your comment and apologies for your bad experience. We are addressing this exact issue for our new observatory opening. Hopefully you never have anything but positive experiences at Lowell in the future.

• CounterWeight, kbev and Astro-Master like this

#20 Groundhog

Groundhog

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

I visited Lowell about 3 years ago and quite enjoyed it. One scope had just been restored and it is just a beautiful piece of mechanical art. That new scope in the photo above is gorgeous, too! So elegant. Anyway the funny thing about my visit is that perhaps what I remember most is that I finally learned what sun spots are and how they occur. A woman giving a daytime presentation made it all so clear and I've been grateful (and excited about sun spots) ever since!

Edited by Groundhog, 21 March 2019 - 07:01 PM.

• CounterWeight, rockethead26, photomagica and 1 other like this

#21 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:18 PM

That 8" victorian style refractor is a work of art.

That’s an amazing lineup of nice scopes, very well taught of.
  • CounterWeight, rockethead26 and BFaucett like this

#22 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:13 AM

To be able to observe an object though each aperture, or the data collected, same air column, same night,  beyond value.  To look through any one a privilege imo, quite the lineup and as far as I know comparatively unparalleled?

• rockethead26 and photomagica like this

#23 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:29 AM

This new suite of telescopes will be available for group/individual after-hours specials.bounce.gif  I have no idea yet what the charges will be. We will continue to offer that on the 24" Clark as we do now. There is a high probability of another 24" scope for the Public Program in a separate dome within the next 12 months, but not confirmed yet. Should know within a matter of days. Craziness, I tell ya!

Edited by rockethead26, 22 March 2019 - 12:29 AM.

• BFaucett and Groundhog like this

#24 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:07 AM

Sorry if I seem repeating myself.

The 32" StarStructure, 2 PW SDK's, a 16" Meade ~R/C,... the amazing 8" MoonRaker and the 140mm TEC refractors. Adding the EAA aspect ...That is  crazy and unique. Any way you slice it you are in for a treat.   Congrat's and bravo!, a destination astro vacation.

• rockethead26 and BFaucett like this

#25 khingdheano

khingdheano

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:37 AM

Also, check out this thread in the Equipment forum (it's about the new public observatory at Lowell):

And So It Begins - New Equip for New Public Observatory

started by CN member rockethead26  - 08 August 2018

https://www.cloudyni...ic-observatory/

rockethead26 works at Lowell.

Here's one of the photos he posted today:

post-92124-0-24374600-1553011975.jpg

8" f/12 custom Victorian style refractor built by Mark Turner of Moonraker Telescopes. Lens is 204mm f12 multi coated lens supplied by APM UK. Mount A-P 1600 GTO.

Cheers!  Bob F.  smile.gif

I can't get anything done this morning for being fixated on this beautiful telescope. What a beauty!

• photomagica and BFaucett like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, observatory, outreach, refractor, SCT, reflector, cassegrain, catadioptric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics