•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Public Observatory at Lowell

equipment observatory outreach refractor SCT reflector cassegrain catadioptric
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

..., a destination astro vacation.

That right there is what we are going for. The move from an "attraction" to a "destination".

• CounterWeight and BFaucett like this

#27 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

I'm looking at homes for sale close by

• rockethead26, BFaucett and Groundhog like this

#28 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

lol.gif

#29 photomagica

photomagica

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

Actually a good idea. I rent a house in Sedona (roughly 40 miles from Flagstaff) occasionally. It is a dark sky community and the views are lovely. Also - I expect Lowell can use all the experienced amateur astronomers it can get as volunteerssmile.gif

Bill

• CounterWeight likes this

#30 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

I once many years back spent a week in Jerome, loved it but not much work there in the field I was in.  Other than that a friend who lives in Phoenix mentioned to keep my place here as it gets unbearably hot there for part of the year.  Another person I know said in the mountains it's not so bad?

#31 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'd love to live in Sedona. Or rather, somewhere in the surrounding area.

#32 photomagica

photomagica

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:59 AM

I once many years back spent a week in Jerome, loved it but not much work there in the field I was in.  Other than that a friend who lives in Phoenix mentioned to keep my place here as it gets unbearably hot there for part of the year.  Another person I know said in the mountains it's not so bad?

It is much cooler in higher altitude places like Sedona and Jerome in the summer. quite a few Phoenicians have places in Flagstaff because of the cooler summers and winter skiing. Flagstaff is a great place to live as well. Northern Arizona University gives it a nice vibe and you can walk from downtown to Lowell Observatory.

#33 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:26 AM

This new suite of telescopes will be available for group/individual after-hours specials.bounce.gif  I have no idea yet what the charges will be. We will continue to offer that on the 24" Clark as we do now. There is a high probability of another 24" scope for the Public Program in a separate dome within the next 12 months, but not confirmed yet. Should know within a matter of days. Craziness, I tell ya!

The new 24" is confirmed. We will have a new 24" PlaneWave on a L-600 Direct Drive Mount. This will be set up initially for visual use. The existing telescope in the McAllister dome, a 1960s 16" Boller & Chivens cassegrain will be retired. The dome structure will be removed and the current foundation and pier will be deconstructed. A new foundation with a centered pier will be poured, the dome reinstalled and the new 24" installed. Expected timeline 9-12 months. banjodance.gif

• CounterWeight, photomagica and BFaucett like this

#34 photomagica

photomagica

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

This is outstanding news! The McAllister Dome is only a short walk from the amazing 24" Clark refractor. It will be interesting to walk back and forth and compare the performance of the Clark 24" with the 24" PlaneWave.

Bill

• CounterWeight and rockethead26 like this

#35 photomagica

photomagica

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

The Lowell team will be at NEAF. See this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...-booth-at-neaf/

• rockethead26 and BFaucett like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, observatory, outreach, refractor, SCT, reflector, cassegrain, catadioptric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics