•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron Skyguider Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

Hey does anyone know when they will be in stock? I have a Nikon D750. I used to have the older Skytracker but it didn’t seem too stable with the ballhead. I will be using the kit 24-120mm (not ideal but I can only afford one accessory at a time) and a 50mm Rokinon f/1.4 Lens. I was also looking at the Skywatcher version but wasn’t super excited that the polar alignment scope gets blocked when using the counterweight dec kit. I was wondering if the smaller Skytracker pro (new, red one) would hold my camera and lenses (I assume it’s a bit better than the older Skytracker). Any thoughts? I like the iOptron built in battery (but I do keep AAs in bulk at home).

#2 vidrazor

vidrazor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

Listed in stock at Adorama.

#3 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

I would recommend the skyguider over the skytracker. I have owned both and the skyguider has an integrated polar scope and the counterweight system works much better vs. the skytracker. The counterweight kit for the skytracker definitely comes across as an afterthought.

#4 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

What about the Sky-Watcher version?

#5 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

The iOptron SkyGuider shows in stock right now at the Adorama and B&H websites.  They've been out of stock most of the last month.  I'm a Nikon user and the SkyGuider should have no issues with your D750 and 24-120 lens.

Last week I mounted my 200-500mm f/5.6 on a Z6, zoomed out to 500, and was pleasantly surprised to be able to get 45-60 sec shots of the Orion Nebula.  I took 20 shot sequences for stacking and maybe 3-4 shots out of 20 showed movement in the stars.  I could afford to toss those shots for the stack.

Link to the photo of the lens on the mount.

https://flic.kr/p/T7wgnN

And a link to a photo I took that evening.  Keep in mind that this is basically the only the third astrophoto I've ever taken.  I've only had the tracking mount for two weeks.

https://flic.kr/p/RsGjWB

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

"Keep in mind that this is basically the only the third astrophoto I've ever taken.  I've only had the tracking mount for two weeks."

Did you test the polar scope for accuracy? There's been issues with the earlier runs, don't know if they addressed it in the latest runs, I sure hope so. It's so critical under the circumstances.

How is the alt-az mount behaving? That was another sore spot. I'd like to think it's improve as well, as I should be getting a Skyguider soon. :-)

#7 Wolf7711

Wolf7711

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

Hi everyone.  Just purchased the skyguider pro myself and have a question for those of you who have one.  I've read some posts here and elsewhere about this topic and am just seeking confirmation.

When I tested the polar scope by spinning it in the "top of the flag pole test", this is what happens.   The top of the pole stays within the reticle as I spin the scope.  However, as I spin, everything I see including the top of the flagpole wobbles in and out in the path of a small circle while staying vertically oriented.   I can even see this small circular motion when I look at the eyepiece itself as I spin it.  Ioptron's reply so far is that this is normal.  This is after the polar scope alignment procedure.  Prior, I had the same results but the top of the flagpole was leaving the center of the reticle.

So is this the way everyone's is or does the view in the polar scope remain still when you rotate it?

thanks in advance

Edited by Wolf7711, 22 March 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#8 Sonya6500

Sonya6500

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bluffton , South Carolina

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

Hi , I just received my Skyguider Pro from Astronomics. Had to wait 4 weeks for it. I decided to mount mine on a wooden portable pier that I could roll out on the drive way. I found that wood dampens out vibrations rather quickly  from my dobsonian  days. I put about 75 pounds of bricks in the bottom for mass. I may add some more weight  later on.  I added some bubble levels and some adjustable bolts for leveling. Not sure how accurate the mount bubble is. Once I had Polaris sighted in, I drilled some shallow indentations so the platform would always be in the same place. I just tilt it over and  it rolls quite nicely. I bought an Astrotech 72ED II  and am using my Sony A6500 with it. Still waiting for my finder and field flattener. Two month wait for those. IMG_0107.JPG IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0110.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics