•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Purchase Lighting for Neighbors?

astrophotography imaging observing
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tmiddendorf

tmiddendorf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

I did a search, albeit not extensive, to see if anyone has discussed the practice or idea of buying your neighbor(s) astronomy friendly lighting. 

Personally I have not done this, but I would definitely do it. Has anyone had any experience doing this? How was it received?

• stargazer193857 likes this

#2 organge

organge

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

Interesting idea. I assume it will go well with most of them once they hear you out why and how. I am sure some will even offer to buy it themselves. Would be a nice social experiment. I like the idea since it starts from the lowest level. I might try and do something like this as well. Thanks for a reminder that small steps.....!

Edited by organge, 19 March 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#3 bridgman

bridgman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

I haven't tried it myself (my neighbors are pretty good about light control, it's the city 15 miles to the south that drives me crazy) but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I would certainly do it if neighbor's lighting was a contributor to night sky seeing. Unfortunately in my case neighbor's lighting was trivial in comparison to the street lights. I have asked neighbors to turn off their outside lights when I was observing/imaging though, and all seemed OK with that if they weren't in the middle of an outdoor party.

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

All 15,000 of them?

Actually the few homes that could be a problem were very cooperative when I asked them to make some adjustment.

Private homes, even those with bad lighting are not the major problem. The major light sources in town are a shopping center and a private college fixated on more light and noise to attract students. I can understand the desperation, the most current published estimates of the acceptance rate tend toward 90%. Money, always money and power always power. The town mothers and fathers have difficulty grasping modern ordinances and like to attend sporting events and get free meals. My experience is that most of them fall into a coma when asked to consider any technical issue what so ever or they reduce issues to the peripheral. Should we allow a 55' high building becomes should the parapet be 3 or 4 feet high.

Meanwhile the more urban areas nearby are adding whiter brighter lights, buildings, bridges

(not the roadway the bridge itself), brighter lights for "social justice". That last being almost an hilarious inversion of fact. The upper income, upper elevation neighborhood complained about has many tall trees and few street lights. But let's not weep for the upper half, LED fixtures are going in even now.

Folks we either preach to that famous singing assembly or fix on the trivial aspects of a huge issue. In the immediate future only politicians and organized citizens can make a change on area, one town, one county at a time. The urban area is already lost, the best one can hope for there is to influence the exact nature of the newer brighter safer lighting, perhaps by pushing for lower levels after 10pm or the some other thing that takes advantage of the newer lighting tech.

#5 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:40 PM

The vets office across the street put up 8 very bright LED wall lights.  I asked them politely both verbally and in a letter to place shields on that lighting and offered to either buy or make them.  Enclosed in the letter were some pictures and info demonstrating how shielding would eliminate the blind spots that their non shielded lights were causing.   One of those being right at their main entrance. 

Having no luck with the vets last year,  they will soon be getting a sign and drum (subwoofer) protest.   That worked on the church next door last year after they ignored several polite requests.  Hope it works on the vets this year.  

Another church around the corner responded quite quickly by putting a timer on the offending light.   It goes off at 10PM and back on at 7AM.  I never even offered to buy shielding for them, so I guess it all depends on your neighbors.  jd

#6 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

buying lights for your neighbors is the cheapest way to improve the quality of your sky (if that's an issue).

I have done it in the past....this last week I bought a rain gutter so my neighbor could put his "pack rat" lights in it and just light up the underside of his vehicle instead of my lot.

#7 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:15 AM

I did a search, albeit not extensive, to see if anyone has discussed the practice or idea of buying your neighbor(s) astronomy friendly lighting.

Personally I have not done this, but I would definitely do it. Has anyone had any experience doing this? How was it received?

Offer to install it for them too. If they say no, return it to home Depot.

It won't change sky brightness but will help many other ways. Also consider a tent observatory. Every bit of good shade helps and could avoid their lights.

Edited by stargazer193857, 20 March 2019 - 03:17 AM.

#8 tmiddendorf

tmiddendorf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:39 AM

buying lights for your neighbors is the cheapest way to improve the quality of your sky (if that's an issue).

I have done it in the past....this last week I bought a rain gutter so my neighbor could put his "pack rat" lights in it and just light up the underside of his vehicle instead of my lot.

That is what came to mind to me as well that it would be the cheapest and quickest way potentially to reduce direct lights. 

#9 tmiddendorf

tmiddendorf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:43 AM

Offer to install it for them too. If they say no, return it to home Depot.

It won't change sky brightness but will help many other ways. Also consider a tent observatory. Every bit of good shade helps and could avoid their lights.

Yes and getting them involved in choosing since it is their home. Installing it seems like the way to go for a neighbor to agree to having it. And who knows word spreads and others may join in getting better sky friendly lighting. Every bit helps.

#10 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:38 PM

I bought and installed an outdoor light on my neighbor's house. I was very polite, it didn't cost them a penny, and they learned that they live next to an astronomer. Which was fun!
  • BFaucett likes this

#11 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

I would tread VERY carefully here.  You could seriously offend some people.  Now, you might wonder why that is, but think about it...  It's kind of passive aggressive.  If a neighbor asked me something like this where they would buy and install something on my house I'd think they were WAY out of bounds, AND I can afford to buy and install whatever on my own home, thank you very much.

I realize you're trying it make it as easy as possible for them, but they could see it VERY differently.  Again, I'd tread very carefully.

You may want to simply start with a general discussion about the fact you're an astronomer and would they consider helping you keep lighting to a minimum when you are observing/photographing.  THEN if you get a favorable response you could segue into the possibility of even purchasing lighting that would be mutually beneficial.  But, I would NOT open with that.

• BFaucett and WoodyEnd like this

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

I'm more a "Why does this light keep burning out" kinda person.

#13 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

I agree with George.  Peoples homes are their castle.   If someone came to your door with a can of paint and said they did not like your house color would you be receptive?  

If the neighbor was a friend and they told you they wanted to reduce the light pollution but could not afford new light fixtures then a gift would be appropriate.

• BFaucett likes this

#14 BFaucett

BFaucett

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:56 PM

I would tread VERY carefully here.  You could seriously offend some people.  Now, you might wonder why that is, but think about it...  It's kind of passive aggressive.  If a neighbor asked me something like this where they would buy and install something on my house I'd think they were WAY out of bounds, AND I can afford to buy and install whatever on my own home, thank you very much.

I realize you're trying it make it as easy as possible for them, but they could see it VERY differently.  Again, I'd tread very carefully.

Exactly.  That would probably be my initial reaction.  

Cheers!  Bob F. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics